Biking from Porto to Santiago | Camino de Santiago Forum
Camino Guides (for sale) | Camino Guides made by pilgrims

By Signing up to the forum (free) you will be able to:

-- Ask any Camino related question you might have
-- Participate in the camino conversation on this forum
-- Get an weekly e-mail (Saturdays) with the most popular topics from the last 7 days
-- Be able to download pdf's and other Camino Resources
Sign
Weekly forum email Daily forum email Luggage Storage in Santiago de Compostela
Search 30 000 Camino Questions right here... your question might have been asked before
Dismiss Notice
Have a question you would like to ask? Here is how you do it!

Biking from Porto to Santiago

Discussion in 'Biking the Camino' started by Basicoro, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Basicoro

Basicoro New Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    April 2017
    Hi All
    I am planning on doing the Portuguese route from Porto in November and was wondering if anyone has done it around that time of year, it will be my second camino having done the Frances in April, so a lot shorter but i would like to maybe finish off at Muxia or Finesterre, any tips or ideas and time spent etc would be much appreciated.
    Many thanks and buen camino

2. WGroleau

WGroleau Wandering Weirdo

Camino(s) past & future:
    2015 & 2016 (partial)
    I went Santiago to Cee to Hospital to Ézaro to Cee to Finisterre to Muxia to Cee recently on a Bromptom pulling a trailer. The steepness and/or the rockiness forced me to walk about half the time. I survived, but I don't recommend it to anyone without a mountain bike and a lot of experience!

3. hecate105

hecate105 Active Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    2009 Portuguese 2009 Estellas, 2014 Aurelia, 2016 St Davids, 2017 Via Augusta/V dl P
    Tis a lovely route, we did it in april. I would say - the walkers path is doable almost all the way BUT not the bit after Porte de Lima - it goes under the motorway (we followed the Brierley guide) and past a place called Three Fountains, then over a mountain i think called Portela Grande - THAT is the bit to avoid! If you can find a small road to cycle that bit - there is a refugio in the next village but i can't remember the name. It is basically a vertical goat track - I spent all day swearing as my husband and I dragged each bike, then each pannier, and then his trailer up every bloody inch of it! I literally lay down and cried.... but it was still there.... The descent was really tough too - loose 'babyhead' rocks, v steep, horrid!
    Other than that - it is SO beautiful! have a great Camino...

4. zrexer

zrexer Active Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Have been on the Camino Frances Route 3 times. 2014 Ponferrada to Santiago. 2015 Burgos to Ponferrada and 2016 St.Jean to Burgos and then bus to Sarria and walk into Santiago but with different overnight stops.
    Camino Portugal from Porto - April 2017

What you described was my favorite day of walking on the Portuguese Camino, but I agree it would have zero fun on a bike! IMG_1469.JPG

5. stevov

stevov Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    walked the portuguese way .. from porto, vila do conde via viana and redondela Jun 17
    I did the Portuguese coastal from Porto in June ... some of the granite strewn walks in the woods (as pic above)and on parts of the coast (my pic below out from a guarda) etc are steep and uneven and very difficult even for walkers. I imagine wet and cold in November and I think walking on these in the wet would be treacherous. I was very surprised to pass a couple of youngish bikers really struggling to push them through this terrain in the woods near antas, ...surely i thought there has to an alternative routes to this for bikers.

Attached Files:

6. Basicoro

Basicoro New Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    April 2017
    Many thanks for the advice , I think its going to be a mix of road and trail where practical.

7. WGroleau

WGroleau Wandering Weirdo

Camino(s) past & future:
    2015 & 2016 (partial)
    The image looks like the trails from Santiago to Cee. Definitely not fun (on a bike not made for off-pavement), but I survived.