• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Biking from Porto to Santiago

Stev0

Steve
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances April 2017
Porto to Santiago October 2017
Santiago to Muxia /Finesterre Nov 2017
Hi All
I am planning on doing the Portuguese route from Porto in November and was wondering if anyone has done it around that time of year, it will be my second camino having done the Frances in April, so a lot shorter but i would like to maybe finish off at Muxia or Finesterre, any tips or ideas and time spent etc would be much appreciated.
Many thanks and buen camino

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi All
I am planning on doing the Portuguese route from Porto in November and was wondering if anyone has done it around that time of year, it will be my second camino having done the Frances in April, so a lot shorter but i would like to maybe finish off at Muxia or Finesterre, any tips or ideas and time spent etc would be much appreciated.
I went Santiago to Cee to Hospital to Ézaro to Cee to Finisterre to Muxia to Cee recently on a Bromptom pulling a trailer. The steepness and/or the rockiness forced me to walk about half the time. I survived, but I don't recommend it to anyone without a mountain bike and a lot of experience!

Tis a lovely route, we did it in april. I would say - the walkers path is doable almost all the way BUT not the bit after Porte de Lima - it goes under the motorway (we followed the Brierley guide) and past a place called Three Fountains, then over a mountain i think called Portela Grande - THAT is the bit to avoid! If you can find a small road to cycle that bit - there is a refugio in the next village but i can't remember the name. It is basically a vertical goat track - I spent all day swearing as my husband and I dragged each bike, then each pannier, and then his trailer up every bloody inch of it! I literally lay down and cried.... but it was still there.... The descent was really tough too - loose 'babyhead' rocks, v steep, horrid!
Other than that - it is SO beautiful! have a great Camino...

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Tis a lovely route, we did it in april. I would say - the walkers path is doable almost all the way BUT not the bit after Porte de Lima - it goes under the motorway (we followed the Brierley guide) and past a place called Three Fountains, then over a mountain i think called Portela Grande - THAT is the bit to avoid! If you can find a small road to cycle that bit - there is a refugio in the next village but i can't remember the name. It is basically a vertical goat track - I spent all day swearing as my husband and I dragged each bike, then each pannier, and then his trailer up every bloody inch of it! I literally lay down and cried.... but it was still there.... The descent was really tough too - loose 'babyhead' rocks, v steep, horrid!
Other than that - it is SO beautiful! have a great Camino...

What you described was my favorite day of walking on the Portuguese Camino, but I agree it would have zero fun on a bike!IMG_1469.JPG

I did the Portuguese coastal from Porto in June ... some of the granite strewn walks in the woods (as pic above)and on parts of the coast (my pic below out from a guarda) etc are steep and uneven and very difficult even for walkers. I imagine wet and cold in November and I think walking on these in the wet would be treacherous. I was very surprised to pass a couple of youngish bikers really struggling to push them through this terrain in the woods near antas, ...surely i thought there has to an alternative routes to this for bikers.

Attachments

• WP_20170612_022.jpg
    WP_20170612_022.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 19
Many thanks for the advice , I think its going to be a mix of road and trail where practical.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
What you described was my favorite day of walking on the Portuguese Camino, but I agree it would have zero fun on a bike!View attachment 36156
The image looks like the trails from Santiago to Cee. Definitely not fun (on a bike not made for off-pavement), but I survived.

Wow, that picture brings back memories! At least now I can laugh at our stupidity of not finding an alternative route - at the time i could only cry...

Hi All
Hi All
Hello,
I am interested to know how your trip was. I'm planning on biking Porto to Santiago soon. Did you do it in your own and if so where did you rent your bike? Any other info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Tami

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Tami
I flew to Porto and took my bike on the plane, first time for me and I found it easy, load it all in a big cardboard box and then find a quiet corner in Porto airport to put it all together , load up and away you go. The Camino was easy to find from just outside the airport. Not sure about hiring a bike , I didn't see any place in or near the airport, maybe someone else knows the best way to hire from Porto.
Yes I traveled solo and took 3 days to reach Santiago, I then spent another 2 days visiting Muxia and Finesterre.
Overall the trip was great, a bit challenging on some on the hilly parts and I stuck to the road most of the time because a lot of the camino (central) is not so suitable for bikes,(I used my touring bike)
I found this route a lot quieter than the Frances, but still met up with a lot of people along the way and in the alburgues, which helps make doing the camino a pleaseant experience.
Accommodation was plenty and easy to find, also stealth camping would have been a good option as there are a lot of eucalyptus forests along the way especially in the Portuguese part.
I didn't take my tent so didn't try, unlike my next trip I am planning on going to the Nordkapp in Norway and wild camping is the norm.
Anyways I wish you a great trip , I'm sure you will enjoy it , buen camino
Steve

Hi All
Hello,
I am interested to know how your trip was. I'm planning on biking Porto to Santiago soon. Did you do it in your own and if so where did you rent your bike? Any other info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Tami
I am also planning to bike from Porto to Santiago. I am in the early planning stage and was wondering if you could offer any insight into what worked for you and what you would do differently. I am hoping to bike solo in Aug 2019
Thank you
Peg

I am also planning to bike from Porto to Santiago. I am in the early planning stage and was wondering if you could offer any insight into what worked for you and what you would do differently. I am hoping to bike solo in Aug 2019
Thank you
Peg
Hello Peg, We are going in June and I am in such early stages and with love to hear if you found any information out!
Thanks!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Ivan. I believe I can rent two bikes through you between Burgos and Leon. Can you let me know if this is possible? I plan to arrive in Burgos on 11 May and start cycling the next day. Thanks
Plan to cycle between Burgos and Leon over three or four days. Are there any interesting detours between these two cities that would take up a 4th day?

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back