• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Biking in the rain

senora1

planning to begin in Burgos 4jun. I’m hoping there won’t be lots of rain but who knows? When I walked I carried a poncho but I don’t think that will be practical on a bike. I was planning just a rain jacket. Will that be enough? What do you recommend. Gracias!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Depends a bit on the long-range weather forecast, if you're cycling for around 2 weeks you'll probably get a pretty good idea of how wet it's going to be before you go.
  • A few wet/drizzly days a rain jacket will be fine & if you're doing shorter days you may be able to avoid the rain by starting early/late or adjusting your schedule around the rain.
  • For torrential thunderstorm-type rain that comes and goes quickly, it's usually best to try to shelter somewhere and wait for it to pass.
  • Prolonged heavy rain, personally, I go for cycling shorts, a jacket with a hood if it's warm, footwear that will dry and I take more dry clothing so I can get warm quickly when I stop. However, if I know it's going to be cold/windy for days cheap waterproof over trousers are useful, as are cheap motorcycle-type overmittens. Waterproof socks or overshoes can be useful esp if you're clipped in. (But I wouldn't take all this unless you can see from the long-range forecast you're likely to get this kind of weather - if you can see it's going to be seriously wet then more important to plan how to keep everything dry, avoid chafing in the nether regions from wet clothing, avoid blisters to soles of feet from skin sitting in wet shoes for hours. I would also look at the really cheap motorcycle gear rather than high end cycling gear - if you come off in heavy rain the cheaper kit will probably survive better or at least you wont feel so bad if you make a hole in it...)
I have cycling poncho that I wear to cycle to work in when it's wet. It's very practical because it keeps my legs dry but it's a bit tent-like in the rain, for long distances I would prefer a jacket but yours might work well.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I'm starting the Norte on Thursday (!) as a bicigrino and I'm hoping to ride "around" the rain when it comes, by adjusting my schedule. Since I only expect to need to ride for about 4-5 hours a day at most, I expect to not have to use my rain gear much. I only have a rain jacket and a pair of rain pants but nothing special for my feet or hands. 🤞🤞🤞

What have you practiced at home
?
Here at home I bike in wet weather wearing same outfit I wore to walk camino, adding legg wraps around ankles , waterproof shoes. I have waterproof pants that zip down each side( eastern mountain sports. A good buy) and a rain jacket with hood

Depending on temp I can wear more or less under the rain gear

I carry a 1$ poncho from dollar store on iffy days where threat of rain
The poncho will hopefully be short term till I get to some sort of shelter

Heavy rain…delay and wait for weather to change

When biking in the rain you’re going to get wet. No matter how good the product rain will eventually get through. Nothing will keep the wet out ( or in) but in my opinion Gortex is the best way yet to get wet. Trick - wear as few clothes as possible that are quick drying

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
planning to begin in Burgos 4jun. I’m hoping there won’t be lots of rain but who knows? When I walked I carried a poncho but I don’t think that will be practical on a bike. I was planning just a rain jacket. Will that be enough? What do you recommend. Gracias!
Senora, you've received some good advice, here's more; it won't rain in N Spain during July, well not much. According to Weatherspark the average chance of rain (> 1mm) in June is about 15% so assuming you're riding for 10 days from Burgos to Santiago there will be 1.5 days with some rain. Take your wind / rain proof jacket and a cheapo Chinese rain jacket that packs the size of a couple of tissues and keep an eye in Windy.com - have a great trip and don't sweat the small stuff.......

Hola, from personal experience (back in Sept 2015) riding in the rain is not fun. I don't think you can truly cover yourself and or gear. I had a somewhat waterproof jacket that kept me dry (above the waste) and reasonably warm.
The biggest issue I found was coping with a cross wind. I found that cross winds above 30km (18 mph) in rain, is not only difficult it was (imho) unsafe. Eventually I gave up (the wind was then up to 50km+) and caught the train to Leon (after a 4 hour wait for the local train that would take my bike).Buen Camino.

When biking in the rain you’re going to get wet. No matter how good the product rain will eventually get through. Nothing will keep the wet out ( or in) but in my opinion Gortex is the best way yet to get wet. Trick - wear as few clothes as possible that are quick drying
I agree. But the danger is at high altitudes, particularly on descents.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Senora, you've received some good advice, here's more; it won't rain in N Spain during July, well not much. According to Weatherspark the average chance of rain (> 1mm) in June is about 15% so assuming you're riding for 10 days from Burgos to Santiago there will be 1.5 days with some rain. Take your wind / rain proof jacket and a cheapo Chinese rain jacket that packs the size of a couple of tissues and keep an eye in Windy.com - have a great trip and don't sweat the small stuff.......
Thanks! You are very wise. I guess I’m just getting nervous as my Camino approaches, and I tend to overthink things..:

Thanks for your good advice

Get some thin gloves and a pair of washing up gloves. Hands get really cold riding, and good gloves are expensive. Washing up gloves aren't.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I take a lightweight hi-viz cycling jacket, a helmet cover and light cycling gloves; more to ward off the wind chill than staying dry

In July it'll be warm enough to not need a goretex jacket, and the helmet cover is probably overkill as it will trap the air and heat in your helmet and keep you quite warm : i.e. anything more than 15Centigrade and you'll bake.

A cycling jacket will serve you better than a "normal" rain jacket;being longer in the back it will protect your lower back from the rain and wind, just like a cycling t-Shirt / Hi-viz Jersey protects it from the sun. It's a worthwhile investment, a good one will se many years of use

I'm starting the Norte on Thursday (!) as a bicigrino and I'm hoping to ride "around" the rain when it comes, by adjusting my schedule. Since I only expect to need to ride for about 4-5 hours a day at most, I expect to not have to use my rain gear much. I only have a rain jacket and a pair of rain pants but nothing special for my feet or hands. 🤞🤞🤞
My first day was wet and miserable. It did not help that the signage /guidance was sorely lacking and I made two very steep mistakes and had to backtrack. Thankfully arriving in Zarautz I had a hotel with a working radiator and everything was dry this morning and today even featured some sunshine.
More rain early next week in Santander, and I'll just embrace it and hope for a warm night in Comillas

Most read last week in this forum

I have walked several caminos since 2013 and am hoping to experience the Primitivo in September. Recently I have developed a nasty intermittent pain in the ball of my feet, especially the left...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.