Biking Lisbon-Santiago April 2018 - questions | Camino de Santiago Forum
Camino Guides (for sale) | Camino Guides made by pilgrims

By Signing up to the forum (free) you will be able to:

-- Ask any Camino related question you might have
-- Participate in the camino conversation on this forum
-- Get an weekly e-mail (Saturdays) with the most popular topics from the last 7 days
-- Be able to download pdf's and other Camino Resources
Sign
Weekly forum email Daily forum email Luggage Storage in Santiago de Compostela
Search 30 000 Camino Questions right here... your question might have been asked before
Dismiss Notice
Have a question you would like to ask? Here is how you do it!

Biking Lisbon-Santiago April 2018 - questions

Discussion in 'Biking the Camino' started by NWRunner, Nov 9, 2017.

1. NWRunner

NWRunner New Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    I am very excited! After reading forum posts and using my Brierley guide, I have a tentative plan for our Lisbon to Santiago Camino April 2018. (Wanted to ID number of days so I could catch any airfare sales – it is a spendy trip from Seattle!)

We are good older cyclists and are aiming to have a journey, not a race.
    Day
    1 Lisbon arrive
    2 Lisbon tour, get rental equipment
    3 Santarem bike 98 km (used distance from Michelle's write up on her journey)
    4 Tomar 70
    5 Ansiao 54
    6 Coimbra 63
    7 Agueda 55
    8 Porto 85
    9 Porto DAY OFF
    10 Viana Do Castelo 91
    11 Tui (Spain) 63
    12 Pontevedra 56
    13 Padron 42
    14 Santiago 30
    15 fly out AM

1) Any feedback on the route? Know day 1 is ambitious but read it has good surfaces.
    2) Would it be a bad idea to not overnight in Padron and continue to Santiago? We aren’t city people so an evening in Santiago will be sufficient for us.
    3) Any books or websites that have elevation mapped and more info on the surface/condition of each section?

Thx.

2. islandwalker

islandwalker New Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino Mozárabe
    Hi NW Runner,
    Have you seen the tracks on Wikiloc? There are several posted by people who have cycled Lisbon-Santiago. Here's one: https://ca.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/view.do?id=9244274
    They show elevation changes and often have photos and comments, so it's worth looking at more than one. You can download them to your phone and use offline maps to follow the track as you cycle.

We are also in Washington and will be in Spain (Andalucia) in April...

Wishing you a great trip!

3. NWRunner

NWRunner New Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Thanks - I was unaware. This evening my son/tech support suggested finding a Strava route to download on a bike GPS (if I get one).

May see you in Spain. Suddenly we are on the fence about biking off road for two weeks and may do a week of hiking first. All great choices.

Spent some time looking at flights from Seattle this afternoon - Norwegian Air prices looked great if you are willing to buy a local connector flight separately.

4. islandwalker

islandwalker New Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino Mozárabe

5. islandwalker

islandwalker New Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino Mozárabe
    One nice feature of Strava that I just found out about is the ability to export tracks to Relive and watch your route playing itself out in a 3-D video. We had fun playing around with that! It seems to have good info also. For sheer number of choices in Spain, though, Wikiloc has proved invaluable to us. We like to do day hikes out of the small villages we visit, and just to give you an example, for Alpandeire, south of Ronda, a search pulls up 243 tracks on Wikiloc and about 30 or so on most other GPS apps. I'm always amazed at the number of choices.

To see road or trail surfaces, you can view the Wikiloc tracks on Google Earth. Enable them in the sidebar under "Layers" by clicking on Gallery and then on Wikiloc. You can then zoom in close enough to see the individual stones in the path!

I'm going to check out those Norwegian Air fares tomorrow! Thanks!

6. islandwalker

islandwalker New Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino Mozárabe
    I just ran across another Wikiloc track that might be helpful to you because at the bottom of the comments sections this cyclist gives links to the seven daily stages he did, thus making the elevation profiles easier to draw conclusions from. He also has videos of the trail showing lots of information about the trail surface. (If you don't read Spanish, Google Translate will help.) https://es.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/view.do?id=4889499
    Elaine