• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Biking Lisbon-Santiago April 2018 - questions

NWRunner

Time of past OR future Camino
Portugues via bike April 2018
I am very excited! After reading forum posts and using my Brierley guide, I have a tentative plan for our Lisbon to Santiago Camino April 2018. (Wanted to ID number of days so I could catch any airfare sales – it is a spendy trip from Seattle!)

We are good older cyclists and are aiming to have a journey, not a race.
Day
1 Lisbon arrive
2 Lisbon tour, get rental equipment
3 Santarem bike 98 km (used distance from Michelle's write up on her journey)
4 Tomar 70
5 Ansiao 54
6 Coimbra 63
7 Agueda 55
8 Porto 85
9 Porto DAY OFF
10 Viana Do Castelo 91
11 Tui (Spain) 63
12 Pontevedra 56
13 Padron 42
14 Santiago 30
15 fly out AM

1) Any feedback on the route? Know day 1 is ambitious but read it has good surfaces.
2) Would it be a bad idea to not overnight in Padron and continue to Santiago? We aren’t city people so an evening in Santiago will be sufficient for us.
3) Any books or websites that have elevation mapped and more info on the surface/condition of each section?

Thx.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I am very excited! After reading forum posts and using my Brierley guide, I have a tentative plan for our Lisbon to Santiago Camino April 2018.
3) Any books or websites that have elevation mapped and more info on the surface/condition of each section?

Thx.

Hi NW Runner,
Have you seen the tracks on Wikiloc? There are several posted by people who have cycled Lisbon-Santiago. Here's one: https://ca.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/view.do?id=9244274
They show elevation changes and often have photos and comments, so it's worth looking at more than one. You can download them to your phone and use offline maps to follow the track as you cycle.

We are also in Washington and will be in Spain (Andalucia) in April...

Wishing you a great trip!

Thanks - I was unaware. This evening my son/tech support suggested finding a Strava route to download on a bike GPS (if I get one).

May see you in Spain. Suddenly we are on the fence about biking off road for two weeks and may do a week of hiking first. All great choices.

Spent some time looking at flights from Seattle this afternoon - Norwegian Air prices looked great if you are willing to buy a local connector flight separately.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks - I was unaware. This evening my son/tech support suggested finding a Strava route to download on a bike GPS (if I get one).

May see you in Spain. Suddenly we are on the fence about biking off road for two weeks and may do a week of hiking first. All great choices.

Spent some time looking at flights from Seattle this afternoon - Norwegian Air prices looked great if you are willing to buy a local connector flight separately.

One nice feature of Strava that I just found out about is the ability to export tracks to Relive and watch your route playing itself out in a 3-D video. We had fun playing around with that! It seems to have good info also. For sheer number of choices in Spain, though, Wikiloc has proved invaluable to us. We like to do day hikes out of the small villages we visit, and just to give you an example, for Alpandeire, south of Ronda, a search pulls up 243 tracks on Wikiloc and about 30 or so on most other GPS apps. I'm always amazed at the number of choices.

To see road or trail surfaces, you can view the Wikiloc tracks on Google Earth. Enable them in the sidebar under "Layers" by clicking on Gallery and then on Wikiloc. You can then zoom in close enough to see the individual stones in the path!

I'm going to check out those Norwegian Air fares tomorrow! Thanks!

I just ran across another Wikiloc track that might be helpful to you because at the bottom of the comments sections this cyclist gives links to the seven daily stages he did, thus making the elevation profiles easier to draw conclusions from. He also has videos of the trail showing lots of information about the trail surface. (If you don't read Spanish, Google Translate will help.) https://es.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/view.do?id=4889499
Elaine

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

I have walked several caminos since 2013 and am hoping to experience the Primitivo in September. Recently I have developed a nasty intermittent pain in the ball of my feet, especially the left...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back