• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Biking part of the Meseta

Sole To Soul

Time of past OR future Camino
St. Jean (2015), 2016
Hi!
I'm eagerly anticipating returning to complete the second half of CF next month. I've decided to bike a short distance, to have that experience as well: from Fromista where I left off, to Leon or perhaps a little further. There are several companies to hire from. Their packages and daily rates vary of course. For the short distance I'm doing might there be a particular company to consider, or not consider? Bicigrino doesn't rent past Leon; helmets (styles, availability...)seem to be a separate issue altogether from what I've read here (yes I am certainly wearing one); types of bike seat; ease of dealing with company (my Spanish is basic).

Other considerations running through my head:

Mountain bike since I prefer to stay on trail as much as possible.

Forwarding my pack daily, but haven't decided for certain yet.

I brought hiking boots and Keens closed toe sandals last time and thinking the same for this time. I'm not sure if the sandals would suffice for this short distance (haven't had a chance to try this yet) or do I have to consider yet another type of footwear?

I know nothing about basic bike repair (not adverse to learning quickly....YouTube 101?? ) Bike kit and level of support on route vary as well by company.

Probably starting to bike on Friday (the 13th! Haha!). Will it be hard to find a bike for a May weekend?

Any special safety considerations for biking in Leon?

Other things to consider?

Thank so much for any insights!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I cycled from Burgos to Leon last summer. I had developed tendinitis and was slowed down to the point where it would have been unsafe for me to walk in the 100+ degree heat. The company provided everything (helmet, lock, bungee cords to hold my pack...), and I could have dropped the bike off in either Leon or Astorga. I can't recall the name of the company, 'Velo____'? But they were super helpful. I highly recommend cycling part of the Camino. I am not a strong cyclist, I was successful because that stretch is the Meseta and rather flat. The hills nearly killed me!!! Buen Camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I cycled the Camino Frances in 2012. If it's only a short section, take your pack. You will cover ground much faster than you think. I also used just my touring bike with a wider, slick tire. I stayed on trails all the way except the final section up to Alto Perdon. It was still tough on a bike on the road. I went back gwo years later and had a much better time walking. Unless you are in a time crunch or have health problems, walking is better.

I cycled the Camino Frances in 2012. If it's only a short section, take your pack. You will cover ground much faster than you think. I also used just my touring bike with a wider, slick tire.... Unless you are in a time crunch or have health problems, walking is better.
You are correct about riding this part of the Camino - you will be able to ride wherever the other pilgrims walk. Thinking back to when I rode in Sep '15 you should be able to do it in less than 7 days.
Here is a suggested itinerary: day 1 - Burgos to Hornillos (assume a late start); Day 2 Hornillos to Castrojeriz - a real easy day - but one which will give time to "look see" and get use to the bike; Day 3 Castrojeriz to Carrion de los Condes (yes there is a tough hill straight out of Castro - but its only a 20-25 min walk if necessary) the rest of this day is almost flat; Day 4 Carrion to Sahagun - again a flat day and will give you time to explore; Day 5 Sahagun to Mansilla - you can go straight or take the Calzadilla detour; Day 6 Mansilla to Leon - more exploring. Good luck

Saint Mike is taking things very easy and if you only have to cycle from Fromista then it will only be 2 or 3 days. Personally I would stop in Carrion de los Condes even though it would be a very short day because I love the town. Then on to Sahagun and to Leon the next day. We rode the Carrion to Leon section in one long day and it is not a problem as the land is so flat but the roads into Leon was a pain though I understand with study and a map there is a quiet road way into town.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks for the feedback. I checked out the bike company mentioned, Velobur, and I'm waiting to hear back from them.

Yes, I kind of estimated only 2-3 days from Fromista. I'm glad to hear I can do pretty much all of it on the trail and it's pretty flat. Good to know about Carrion. If I don't happen to actually stop there what do you suggest I take a bit of time to at least explore while passing through?

I remember the long walks in and out of the previous other large cities. So I have a bit of hesitation doing this safely by bike in Leon as well as still staying "on course" . I'll explore the alternate route William mentioned. If by chance I I decide to ride a little past Leon, will bike companies (other than Bicigrino) still pick up where I decide to stop?

Thanks so much!

Most read last week in this forum

I have walked several caminos since 2013 and am hoping to experience the Primitivo in September. Recently I have developed a nasty intermittent pain in the ball of my feet, especially the left...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back