• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Biking part...which part?

biloute

Time of past OR future Camino
Chemin du Puy & Camino Francés (summer 2014), Chemin du Puy & Camino Francés (possible summer 2019)
My husband and I would like to do the Camino together, possibly as early as summer 2018. I'd like to hike the entire thing but he prefers biking, so I thought we could compromise and bike a part of the Camino. We'd go from Le Puy to Santiago in one trip. I can't really imagine biking any part in France because the whole thing is hilly and I'm not a cyclist, so what part of the Camino is best to bike in Spain?

Part of this would depend on being able to rent bikes. Are there any rentals specific to pilgrims where you could start in one town/city and drop the bike off in another?

The other part to take into consideration would be ease of biking (i.e. terrain, roads, etc.).

Another consideration: What would we do with our packs while biking?

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hola @biloute: you are correct there are some very hilly sections on the Frances - I started in Pamplona (on my bike) and really needed the rest day I had in Burgos - 6 days cycling. From Burgos to Leon and even Astorga would be the better option - yes still a few hills (have a look at the Camino profiles in the better guide books). Arranged ahead you could rent - either via a cycle shop in Burgos or from one of the rental companies (search Google). I would say you should be able to do this section (Burgos-Leon-Astorga) in 10 days (including a rest day in Leon). Hope this helps. Cheers

I would say you should be able to do this section (Burgos-Leon-Astorga) in 10 days (including a rest day in Leon).
Thanks for the help. I was thinking that might be the best stretch, across the Meseta. Isn't 10 days a bit long for biking though? I have the same time figured for walking, also with a rest day in Leon. Shouldn't we at least be able to cut that time in half? When I talked to a cyclist in Le Puy, he said he regularly did about 90 km per day. I know I can't go that far, but surely we'd be able to manage more than 2-3 hours of biking for about 25 km distance?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks for the help. I was thinking that might be the best stretch, across the Meseta. Isn't 10 days a bit long for biking though? I have the same time figured for walking, also with a rest day in Leon. Shouldn't we at least be able to cut that time in half? When I talked to a cyclist in Le Puy, he said he regularly did about 90 km per day. I know I can't go that far, but surely we'd be able to manage more than 2-3 hours of biking for about 25 km distance?

Yes it can be done quicker - it just depends upon how many visitor stops you make - day 1 - Burgos/Castrojeriz; day 2 - Castro/Carrion de los Condes; day 3 Carrion - Sahagun (well worth a half day stop); day 4 Sahagun - Leon (longish -55 km but mostly level going - maybe on the roads as the Camino runs almost beside - but there is an alternative); day 6 rest/sightseeing - day 7 Leon - Astorga. How does this look? I know these are mostly 40 km days but being on a bike you usually start around 9.00 am - stop for lunch are arrive around 2.00 pm. The private albergues will, by-and-large, not worry that you are on the bike and most will provide off-street parking (make sure you bring your own lock). Cheers

Cycling Pamplona to Santiago in 12 days is pretty do-able. Maybe time for a day's rest within that depending on progress.

We walked and cycled so had the same 'back pack' issue. Our solution was to take an empty dry bag with us which we stuffed full and bungeed to the back rack when cycling, leaving us with a practically empty rucksack which was easy enough to wear.

We hired bikes from BikeIberia. They also come with a fairly generous handlebar bag. If you can pack light enough then that option might work for you.

Another consideration is footwear. You might want to wear low walking shoes rather than boots so you can cycle comfortably enough in them.

Pics of our set-up attached - though I think I've posted these before,

Attachments

• IMG_0149.JPG
    IMG_0149.JPG
    715.5 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0150.JPG
    IMG_0150.JPG
    106 KB · Views: 27
Is something like this possible on a regular bike? I have a 65L Osprey pack. I don't know what my husband would have.

Attachments

• IMG_1202.JPG
    IMG_1202.JPG
    196.8 KB · Views: 10
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Biloute I think it would be difficult to carry a pack that size on a normal bike. Some of the bike rental companies offer a bag relocation service when you hire from them so you take only what you need and send the rest on to your end of cycle point. You could look at Cycling Rentals or bicigrino for instance. They offer Camino packs of bikes, panniers etc. the panniers hold about 40L of gear.
I'm going in September and that is what I'm planning to do, also planning to average 50km a day, some harder days will be less, easier days more.
Hope this helps, have a great trip

Most read last week in this forum

I have walked several caminos since 2013 and am hoping to experience the Primitivo in September. Recently I have developed a nasty intermittent pain in the ball of my feet, especially the left...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back