• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Biking parts of the camino Frances

justinNL

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino frances (summer 2018)
Hi everybody,
I'm planning to walk the camino frances this summer. However, I only have about 25 days. At first, I thought I'd simply start in Logrono or Burgos, but I've heard that the first part from Saint Jean-Pied-de-Port to Puente la Reina is one of the most beautiful parts. Also, I remember reading somewhere that the middle part from Burgos to Leon is relatively boring (just walking next to the road). Is this true?
If this is true, then I thought that I might start in St. Jean-Pied-de-Port by foot and then rent a bike from Burgos to Leon. Are there rental companies that allow me to rent a bike at one large city along the camino and return in somewhere down the road? And which section would you recommend to do by bike?
Many thanks in advance, every tip would be of great help!
Justin

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi @justinNL

Burgos to Leon is indeed a popular stretch to bike and there are I'm sure you can find details here on who rents out bikes.

A couple of things to consider are what if start walking and find a group you want to stick with? what sort of scenery do like best? A lot of people really like the big sky of the Meseta, though of course you can still see that from the saddle.

Given your time constraints it sounds like a pretty good idea to me.

Buen Camino,

Rob.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Thinking about it you might want to contact @joecamino as I seem to remember him biking this stretch.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
There are definitely a few companies that offer bike rentals across the Maseta. You can also just take a bus from Burgos to Leon. Like the previous poster mentioned though, it is a shame to jump ahead if you have settled in to a Camino family, so you may want to leave some flexibility if that is the case.
My first Camino I was also short on time and I skipped the maseta. However, I was a slow enough walker that by then end a lot of people caught up with me. I also had a different experience from the first 'pack' I was in which were friendly, but I also was happy to meet the new after I jumped ahead. In my case, it worked out great, as I met someone who later became my partner.
My second Camino, 5 years later, I had unlimited time, and really enjoyed the space and quiet of the Maseta. So it may be something you would enjoy as much as the other sections. You never know, just follow your gut. :) Buen Camino!

PLEASE PLEASE get a bell on your bike and use it 100 meters back. A walking pilgrim may suddenly step aside to avoid a pothole. We often do not hear a cyclist until we feel the whish of the wind as they pass by us.. Being knocked down and injured by a cyclist is my biggest fear, knowing that life expectancy after a broken pelvis is about 2 years.

Hi Justin, I cycled from Leon to SdC last year on rented bike. I flew Dublin to Madrid and then a bus to Leon. There are lots of companies who provide this service. All the kit was provided including helmet, panniers and tools. Many companies have designated hotel drop-off points along the way. I rented from: https://www.cycling-rentals.com but there are lots of options. You just select your city and find hotels they deliver to and the same for the end point. This worked really well and no problem. I did Leon to SdC in 10 easy days. Generally we did two day's walking on the basis of John Brierley's guide to the Camino. However, I have to say I am walk it this year as cycling was perhaps tooooo fast and I felt I did not get the 'camino experience' as we did not get to know too many people on the way. BC Tony

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have been training diligently (another 10mi this a.m. ) but due to back, hip, knee potential issues i may elect to ride the Meseta section... as a 'failsafe' option. I'm optimistic but will keep this option in my 'pocket' (walk the first third, ride the peseta, and walk the last third.....I think it is a personal and ok consideration (especially as an avid biker for most of my exercise)

We too have just 25 days for our first camino (starting 8/21 on foot from SJPP) and have decided to bike the Meseta. We have rented bikes from Bicigrino Santiago. They have a minimum 7 day rental and will drop off and pick up wherever you choose provided there is secure storage. We have arranged to have the bikes picked up after 5 days if all goes as planned.

Back