• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Biking St Jean to Santiago Sept 2017

Mark T17

Time of past OR future Camino
Kumano Kodo 2012
Frances Sept 2017 (bike)
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum, but thought I might try to get a group together who will be biking the Camino in September 2017. I'm planning on starting in St Jean in mid September and finishing in Santiago about 11 days later, travelling between 60km and 80km per day. I thought it might be good to share planning tips, see some friendly faces on the road, share a drink, a few stories and support each other if we need some help on the Way. We can travel at our own pace or link up for a couple of legs if we want.

Hopefully I'll be a dual pilgrim because I hiked the Kumano Kodo, Japan in 2012.

Happy to chat, Buen Camino !

MT
Australia

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Mark a friend and I also plan to cycle in September but we don't have exact dates yet. The evolving plan is to walk from St Jean to Pamplona, pick up rental bikes and cycle to Santiago, probably taking a more leisurely 16 days for the ride. 50km average per day with a couple of rest days. May see you on the trail or before in the planning

Hi Jenny, thanks for your message, I'd like to walk the first few stages as well but I just don't have the time. I haven't got firm dates yet because I have to book a business trip before this little adventure. I've been on youtube a lot which has some really good information. About 8 Spanish guys did the Way in 7 days which seems too fast for me and an English couple did it in 9 days. The videos are good to see the condition of the tracks and roads and weather conditions for clothing which seems variable even in September.

Airbnb looks like it has some good accommodation in St Jean and Santiago.

I've found a couple of taxi shuttle services from Biarritz to St Jean, so I don't have to spend 5 hours on the train.

My biggest issue at the moment is finding a reliable bike hire company. I found a few through google, but I'm not sure who to trust - any thoughts?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Mark I've looked at a couple of hire companies but not in depth yet, I don't have any recommendations as I've not done it yet :) I'll be searching this wonderful forum soon to see if there are comments re hire.
I've looked at http://www.cycling-rentals.com/camino-10-day-pro-touring-pack.html#.WH391csmKhA this one and they seem reasonable in most respects, I looked at another more expensive but haven't saved the link grrr. Of course cheap isn't always the way to go lol.
http://www.cyclingthecamino.com/blog/five-very-tough-stages-french-way-by-bike This one is interesting re the route.
Accommodation.......haven't gone there yet but we're planning to do private rather than arlbergues at this stage

Hi Jenny, I've seen those websites too and another site - www.bimbimbikes.com looks interesting as well.

I'll be doing the albergues and the list of favourites on this forum look good.

Hi Jenny, I've seen those websites too and another site - www.bimbimbikes.com looks interesting as well.

I'll be doing the albergues and the list of favourites on this forum look good.
Aloha to Jenny, Mark, and ANYONE who could help me with this....I have some foot issues, soooo I wanted to hike & bike the Camino from St. Jean to Santiago. I am going with 3 friends whom I have backpacked with, sections of PCT, and I want to stay a part of our packing tribe and experience some of the Camino with them, hiking. I hoped to do something like this: spend 2 days hiking with them then spend 3-5 days riding. I would stop at points of interest and be a "tourist" until they catch up. My hope was to send my bike ahead to an albergue, like pilgrims do their luggage, and hike with my friends for another 2 days then when we reach my bike I would bike another 3-5 days, be a tourist and continue that scenario. I can't seem to find information if the bus service, ALSA, would transport my bike, drop it off & lock it. Does ANYONE know of ANYONE who has done something like this??? HELP!! I am even having trouble getting my bike from Madrid to where I hoped to start biking, which is Roncevelles. (sp.)....any ideas????? renting a bike is so expensive.......

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Sundial, sounds like you're planning an interesting Camino! I'm planning my first Camino in September, so I haven't got any actual experience. Based on my research, I think you could hike the first section through to Pamplona because it is too hilly for bikes anyway (I'll be struggling through the Pyrenees on a bike). Then bike through the flat Meseta section, followed by further hiking through the hills to the end at Santiago. On this basis you could hire a bike roughly between Burgos and Leon, alternatively you could do 2 hires over 2 different sections. I'm not aware of any transport services for bikes, but the bike websites could do multiple hires within Spain. There are a few threads on this forum which seem to suggest hiring a bike is easier than transporting it from home, as to both cost and Spanish Customs issues at airports. I guess it depends on how much you like your own bike. Some of the bike hire websites also say they wont deliver to Albergues - only hotels.

See you on the road !

Hello Sundial, perhaps you could ask if the luggage transporters can move your bike for you, or on your last day of riding you could make it a bigger day, ride on ahead and leave the bike, then catch a bus back to join the walkers.....
I'm not sure how workable either of those ideas are but maybe worth looking at.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Could I make three requests of ALL cyclists on (and off) the Camino?

1 equip your bike with a bell
2 use it
3 try not to piss off pilgrims on foot by demonstrating your downhill skills at speed, in the rain or, in fact, ever?

Otherwise . . . . roll on in peace and may you never have a puncture ;)

(in the interest of clarity, NOT anti-bike, own two and used to design/construct cycleways in the UK National Cycle Network for Sustrans)

Could I make three requests of ALL cyclists on (and off) the Camino?

1 equip your bike with a bell
2 use it
3 try not to piss off pilgrims on foot by demonstrating your downhill skills at speed, in the rain or, in fact, ever?

Otherwise . . . . roll on in peace and may you never have a puncture ;)

(in the interest of clarity, NOT anti-bike, own two and used to design/construct cycleways in the UK National Cycle Network for Sustrans)
I strongly support Jeff's recommendations. I, too, am a biker, and have a bell on my bike. I hiked the Camino in 2016 and was appalled at the majority of bikers who approached from behind at high speeds with no warning. Very few used bells. A few verbally announced their presence. But the vast majority did nothing - a very unsafe, risky practice.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Dear MarkT17, etc al,
www.bicigrino.com is excellent. I rode Pamplona to Santiago in September 2012. Rode about 80% on the Camino and the rest on parallel roads (due to short sections that were obstacles/condition of the path made biking impossible). The Specialized mountain bikes are great and equipped with all you need. Yes, be sure to pass walkers with great courtesy and gentle, but clearly audible warnings. And try walking alongside with them at times. Cost for 14 days is about US $350, including delivery and pick-up. It was a great experience. Buen Camino. Wheelman

Hi all,

Thanks for the tips and advice, I'll certainly use them! As for bells and speed racing, seems like common sense and courtesy to me, so no problems.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi mark and Jenny
My plan is to cycle from Pamplona to SDC around early to mid sept. But nothing set in stone as of yet.
I have a total of 15 days holidays and plan on cycling roughly 70-80kms per day over 10 days allowing for a day or two either end as at least one day off in Leon.
As of yet no flights booked so still quite flexible regarding dates.

Hi Darren, might see you on the road, I'm planning my trip a little later to finish in SDC in late September. Just the way I have to do it with work. After seeing the movie - The Way, I also want to do the Pyrenees from St Jean because the views seem fantastic, although I'm not so sure about the pain on the bike. Are you taking your own bike or do you have any thoughts about bike hire companies? From what I can tell, Bike Iberia and Bicigrino look like the ones to use.

Also any thoughts on "bike friendly" Albergues? I'm just thinking about locking the bike on the street or securing it in a shed or rear yard that some Albergues may provide for bikes.

there is a list of bike friendly hotels and hostel on a web page called caminoteca.com some handy tips
And I think there possibly something similar on this page too. But unsure if it lists bike friendly places.
As for the bike, I'll be brining my own, I'm an avid cyclist mostly long distance and endurance racing, but this will be my first touring holiday.
Don't lock your bike in the street,you know it's tempting fate, pretty sure it will get nicked, speaking as a person that's had his bikes taken once to often. Plus you don't want to really have to carry a heavy lock with you everywhere you go
Keep in touch and if you (or I) change dates post it ... you never know, we might end up sharing a beer or two on the route
Good luck.

Buen Camino.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks Darren, I'll probably start to make bookings around May/June. I've done a lot of running and some hiking, so this will be my first time on a bike. Happy to see you for that beer, I'll be the 50 year old Aussie guy with grey hair looking exhausted !

Hi Mark, Darren, Jenny and other potential September bikers!

I'm planning to cycle Camino Frances from St Jean to Santiago (and if can to Ferestierre) in September (have booked 3 weeks off work 04-22 Sep with weekends at both ends), but not booked any travel journeys yet, so flexible on dates too.

I just joined the website, but have been reading these blogs for last few months, as I'm looking to search for potential partners to enjoy cycling together.
I know cyclists usually complete the Camino in 2 weeks, but I wanted extra days for sightseeing, and focus on enjoying the days as they come and being able to be flexible, without stressing if I haven't done required mileage one of the days. Having 3 weeks rather than 2 weeks hopefully will give me piece of mind, and also I don't have much experience in long distance cycling (though I completed London marathon last year, so knw what it means to push myself).

I'm adventure cyclists at heart, and want to do this journey as pilgrimage with exploring and sightseeing, not as a cycle race with speed. Therefore I plan to rent a bike (electric bike to be more precise). I have e-bike in England, which I use to cycle to commute to work every day, and have been cycling 800% more since buying electric one.

I hope I will be able to share some days with you Mark, Jenny with friends, and Darren!

I have slowly started planning (or getting aware of all options on the table) - decisions later - begining of June when I finish my exams and get the certificate!

I hope to chat more with you all in next few months. I have read your posts and have some suggestions (options I have found). But that for another day... now it's midnight and time to sleep, tomorrow to work.

Beunas noches!
Sol.

Hi Sol,

Sounds like we will probably meet each other sometime in September. I've been doing more research and I look like taking 13 or 14 days to complete my Camino, I also want to spend some extra time in Pamplona, Burgos and Leon to look around so I'm trying to restrict travel on those days to 2 stages. I need to book a business trip first to London in early Sept, which will then determine my start date at St Jean on the Camino. I'm also a runner, having done a few half marathons, so this adventure should be interesting !

Happy to keep the chats going, I've seen just about every Camino video on You Tube and now I just want to start it!

Good Luck

M

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Aloha to Jenny, Mark, and ANYONE who could help me with this....I have some foot issues, soooo I wanted to hike & bike the Camino from St. Jean to Santiago. I am going with 3 friends whom I have backpacked with, sections of PCT, and I want to stay a part of our packing tribe and experience some of the Camino with them, hiking. I hoped to do something like this: spend 2 days hiking with them then spend 3-5 days riding. I would stop at points of interest and be a "tourist" until they catch up. My hope was to send my bike ahead to an albergue, like pilgrims do their luggage, and hike with my friends for another 2 days then when we reach my bike I would bike another 3-5 days, be a tourist and continue that scenario. I can't seem to find information if the bus service, ALSA, would transport my bike, drop it off & lock it. Does ANYONE know of ANYONE who has done something like this??? HELP!! I am even having trouble getting my bike from Madrid to where I hoped to start biking, which is Roncevelles. (sp.)....any ideas????? renting a bike is so expensive.......
Check out Bike / Train situation from Madrid or any main line travel. Hi Speed don't allow bikes unless they a packed or wrapped. Even then they will refuse you because most bikes are way bigger when packed than the permitted size. On slower trains ie Bierritz - SJDP no problem wheeling bike on board. I would be amazed if AlSA or any bus driver would transport, park and lock your bike.

Hi Solvita,
I have 2 weeks booked at the start of sep, but depending how things go at work over the next couple of months I'm trying to see if I can book an extra couple of days.
I plan to leave from Pamplona and be on the road no later than the 2nd of sept, giving myself 5 days to get to Leon and a day off to explore, then another 5 days to get to Santiago, allowing for maybe a couple of rest days here and there. but as these things go, you never know where you'll be... the Camino has these little funny ways of surprising you.. so I'll try and stick to my plans but ultimately I'll just go with the flow and keep my options open.
All in all I'm going to give myself 14 days to complete the route.
But if I can get extra time off ... who's knows !!
I'm still at the planning stage, just need to book flights .
but slowly moving on to other things ...
decided I'm bringing my own bike.
Today I got my sleeping bag liner and some travel towels on sale ...
Pannier bags next, but strongly considering the new bikepacking system
Keep in contact.
Chat soon

Hi Sol,

Sounds like we will probably meet each other sometime in September. I've been doing more research and I look like taking 13 or 14 days to complete my Camino, I also want to spend some extra time in Pamplona, Burgos and Leon to look around so I'm trying to restrict travel on those days to 2 stages. I need to book a business trip first to London in early Sept, which will then determine my start date at St Jean on the Camino. I'm also a runner, having done a few half marathons, so this adventure should be interesting !

Happy to keep the chats going, I've seen just about every Camino video on You Tube and now I just want to start it!

Good Luck

M
Hi Mark,

Yes - I'm too planning to have a extra day of sightseeing in the biggest cities. I'm also open to climb /walk up a few peaks along the line to see the landscape across, or do any other crazy stuff (new experiences). I booked extra week off work in order to take away the stress of reaching the finish line in time. I'm approaching it as a pilgrimage first, as a sightseeing and cycling holiday second. I want to interact / talk to many people along the way. I speak conversational Spanish, so want to practice Spanish and try to speak to locals and absorb local culture and custom, soak it all in.
Regarding travelling to Saint Jean, at moment my plan is to buy fly from UK to Biarritz (most probably sat-02-sep), then shared bus to St Jean Pied de Port. I found the small bus share company that you reserve and pay depending on how many people booked around that time. I'm renting bicycle, so travelling to SJPdP with my panniers (rucksack) only.

I haven't watch You Tube videos yet. I'm leaving that till June, when exams finished. But I'm reading some threads here and noting down about things to acquire later.

Catch up soon.

Sol.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Check out Bike / Train situation from Madrid or any main line travel. Hi Speed don't allow bikes unless they a packed or wrapped. Even then they will refuse you because most bikes are way bigger when packed than the permitted size. On slower trains ie Bierritz - SJDP no problem wheeling bike on board. I would be amazed if AlSA or any bus driver would transport, park and lock your bike.

Thanks Seano for your advice.
I read some past threads and looked for options how ot bring your own bike, and realised that it will be less stressful to rent from the company. That gives me more options of how to get to starting point SJPdP, and how to leave Santiago via airport to UK. I'm planning to use electric-bicycle, so airport were out of options straight away, as they don't transport lithium batteries.
I read that trains in Spain (and to some extent in France) are not willing to take bikes, and I don't want the risk of not knowing if I can get my bike back to UK. My only option left would be ferry (but still would need train to connect). Ferry options from UK were quite expensive in each direction, and came close to cost of renting bike in Spain.
I found company that rents bikes from SJPdP to Santiago, and they also offer one electric-bike model, which I gonna reserve for my trip, and they offer road assistance in case of breakdowns. That sealed my choice for this company! Fingers crossed.

Hi Solvita,
I have 2 weeks booked at the start of sep, but depending how things go at work over the next couple of months I'm trying to see if I can book an extra couple of days.
I plan to leave from Pamplona and be on the road no later than the 2nd of sept, giving myself 5 days to get to Leon and a day off to explore, then another 5 days to get to Santiago, allowing for maybe a couple of rest days here and there. but as these things go, you never know where you'll be... the Camino has these little funny ways of surprising you.. so I'll try and stick to my plans but ultimately I'll just go with the flow and keep my options open.
All in all I'm going to give myself 14 days to complete the route.
But if I can get extra time off ... who's knows !!
I'm still at the planning stage, just need to book flights .
but slowly moving on to other things ...
decided I'm bringing my own bike.
Today I got my sleeping bag liner and some travel towels on sale ...
Pannier bags next, but strongly considering the new bikepacking system
Keep in contact.
Chat soon

Hi Darren,
I have not bought panniers yet. Tell when you have bought yours. Do you know any tips for pannier bags? What to look out for?
It looks like you will be on the road first. I'm flying to Biarritz on Sat-2-Sep, and hopefully starting from SJPdP on Sun-3-sep.
I'm renting bike from Spanish company. Thanks for reminding me about sleeping bag liner, I'm putting it on my list. What do you mean by "new bikepacking system"?

Do you plan to take the thin mattress (like for camping option)? or is that not necessary?

Catch up soon.

Sol.

Hi Sol,
Just purchased my sung-pack lightweight sleeping bag yesterday, next it's the bags.
Which leads in to your question perfectly,
Bike packing is a new-ish (minimal) travel system being used by a lot of "bikepackers" these days.
One of the companies is called appidura and seem to be one of the only companies that have a large choice in thier range.
https://www.apidura.com/shop/
No need for racks and pannier system.

It's a bit minimalist but I think it's gets you to think about what you need and what you can live with out for two weeks especially when you're the one that has to lug it around.
Helps save on the weight.

Im flying to Bilbao around the 1st of sept give or take a few days .. (work schedule permitting as I'm trying to get home to dublin for a couple of days to see my family before I head off.)
Getting bus/train to Pamplona and starting from there.
Unfortunately still no definitive decision on exact dates.
But could try and delay a day or two if you'd like to partner up as I've no flights booked I still have a bit of flexibility.
Chat soon.

Regards

Darren

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Forgot to mention ... no sleeping mattress, light weight bag and liner only , plan on sleeping in the Alberges along the route

Well a funny thing happened yesterday.....I went food shopping and came home with return flights to Madrid! It has suddenly become very real.
I will be in Pamplona on 2nd September and leave the next day.
Flying out of Santiago on the 20th so that gives 16-17 days.
Now to organise bikes, and accommodation, and forwarding of main bag with after cycle gear, and learn how to fix a flat tyre..
I would say we will all probably catch up at some stage, just a little bit excited.

Well done on purchasing the flights Jenny, I'm sure we'll catch up with each other on the route at some stage.
Might be on the route already by the 2nd but all hinges on when I can get my flights ...
Finding it hard to get flights to the airport I want at the dates I need.
I work and live in Liverpool, so that gives me a choice of Liverpool or Manchester airports.
However, it's proving a nightmare to get a direct flight from the UK to Bilbao.

Hi Darren we are getting a nice little community going here for September! The website that you put up earlier for accommodation is excellent with a list of hostals some bike friendly, thank you.
Can I ask why have you chosen Bilbao? From 10,000km away Madrid looks easier haha I'm sure there's a good reason though
Cheers

Hi Darren we are getting a nice little community going here for September! The website that you put up earlier for accommodation is excellent with a list of hostals some bike friendly, thank you.
Can I ask why have you chosen Bilbao? From 10,000km away Madrid looks easier haha I'm sure there's a good reason though
Cheers
Hi Jenny ,
Yes indeed we are!, hoping we all get the chance to meet up for all or part of our journey.

The only reason I chose Bilbao was due to the advice from a Spanish colleague of mine, as I told it's easier to get to Pamplona from Bilbao but the further I research it's looking like it will have to be Madrid.

Chat soon

Planning to start my trip by mountain bike from SJPdP to Santiago at 03 of September. Not sure yet. Wanna do it approximately in 3 weeks. This is my first time. It'll be good to start at least several days all together. As far as I see Solvita is the only one who's able to start at this time. Waiting to see the other travellers). This is my first gig

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Well a funny thing happened yesterday.....I went food shopping and came home with return flights to Madrid! It has suddenly become very real.
I will be in Pamplona on 2nd September and leave the next day.
Flying out of Santiago on the 20th so that gives 16-17 days.
Now to organise bikes, and accommodation, and forwarding of main bag with after cycle gear, and learn how to fix a flat tyre..
I would say we will all probably catch up at some stage, just a little bit excited.

Congrats Jenny ! I'm jealous and getting excited at the same time. I'm about to hit the go button within the next couple of months. I've got everything planned and just need a start date.

Ordered my bags for the bike today ...,excited to say the least.
Got my sleeping bag delivered last week
Things are starting to take shape ... roll on sept

Hi all,

This new Camino movie is showing in Cremorne, Sydney at 7pm on Friday 31/3/17. I thought it might be worthwhile going along. Anybody interested?

upload_2017-3-15_11-37-38.png
upload_2017-3-15_11-37-54.png
upload_2017-3-15_11-38-12.png

finalised my schedule for the cycle, looks like ill be heading out on the trail on the morning of the 2nd of sept,

1) Pamplona to Los Arcos 71 km (44 miles).

2) Los Arcos to Santo Domingo 78 km (49 miles).

3) Santo Domingo to Tarajados 84 km (53 miles).

4) Tarajados to Carrión de los Condes 75 km (47 miles).

5) Carrión de los Condes to León 97 km (61 miles).

6) León to Rabanal 70 km (44 miles).

7) Rabanal to Villafranca 56 km (35 miles).

8) Villafranca to Sarrria 72 km (45 miles).

9) Sarria to Melide 61 km (38 miles).

10) Melide to Santiago de Compostela 53 km (33 miles).

will anyone be in Pamplona by the 2nd of sept,

regards

Darren.

Also plan to take a day off on the 7th in Leon to rest and go exploring, puts me in Santiago around the 12th od September

Whos in?

Hi Darren we arrive in Pamplona evening of 1st September and fall straight into bed after travelling for too many hours lol.
We'll be getting sorted on the 2nd and leaving on the 3rd.
We have 16 days so won't be doing the kms per day that you've lined up for yourself - go you! We won't catch you that's for sure haha
If you're leaving on the 2nd from Pamplona then we can do a buen Camino cafe con leche on your way by and out in the morning perhaps? A few months to work with that one yeh

Hi Darren & Jenny,

My dates are firming up for a start in St Jean on either 3 or 10 September over 14 days.

So Darren - I think you will be way ahead of me, Jenny - not sure yet, I'll post a note when I'm booked. I've been crunching numbers and think I would like short days riding into Burgos and Leon to look around the towns in the afternoon. I would also like to do a day trip by bus out to Muxia at the end. So much to see and so little time !

Congratulations on your bookings ! I'll probably confirm my dates within about 2 months.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi all,
Just read a post from a unfortunate pilgrim who was verbally and to a point almost physically abused by a cyclist, just because the cyclist had some sort of twisted sense of entitlement whilst cycling the route( in the wrong direction I might add) its really really upset me.
As a human being on this planet, when people are horrible to each other I despair and feel saddened, but when it's on the Camino it genuinely shocks me.
I'd like to state here and now on this forum that I for one will be tolerant and respectful to my fellow pilgrims during my trip this September.
I will buy a bell for my bike, I will take my time in crowded areas, I will get off my bike if I have to and walk, rather than be seen as a bully and disrespectful towards other pilgrims. I would like to also state that I will be less tolerant of other cyclists being disrespectful and or endangering other pilgrims safety and well being.
I will not stand for bullies or arseholes!
Godspeed

Rant over

Darren

Hi Jenny & Darren, my departure date from St Jean looks like firming up to be Saturday 9/9/17, so doubt we'll see each other, but who knows !

Hi Mark a friend and I also plan to cycle in September but we don't have exact dates yet. The evolving plan is to walk from St Jean to Pamplona, pick up rental bikes and cycle to Santiago, probably taking a more leisurely 16 days for the ride. 50km average per day with a couple of rest days. May see you on the trail or before in the planning

I was wondering how your trip went and who you used for your bike rental? I have been researching Randonne Tours starting in Pomploma. Any advice would be great!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Nichole, I go in September so I can't give you any feedback yet I have rented bikes through cycling-rentals, again no feedback yet. When are you planning to go

Hi Nichole, I go in September so I can't give you any feedback yet I have rented bikes through cycling-rentals, again no feedback yet. When are you planning to go
I am not planning on going until May/June 2019. Thanks to everyone for their wonderful advice and weblinks. I am excited to hear about how your Camino trips go.

Hi all,
Reluctantly I might not be able to complete my trip as I was involved in a collision 4 weeks ago.
I've just had to have surgery on my left shoulder and as a result, it has left me with huge scar a lot of pain and 6 weeks of physiotherapy.
I might have to be a realist and say bye bye to completing the Camino this year. But I'm still hopeful that I might be fit enough to complete it later in sept or perhaps October.
Wishing you all a Buen Camino

Darren.

Ah Darren that's a shame I was looking forward to meeting you after chatting and planning here! Wishing you a speedy and smooth recovery, the Camino will be there when you're healed and fit again.
Cheers
Jenny

I know Jenny I'm devestated, couldn't be helped a bloke in a BMW decides to do a U-Turn right across my path, I'd nowhere to turn and hit the car side on.
I've had to put everything on hold, but I'm still hopeful I'll make it for sept Jenny ... fingers crossed !!!!!! You never know !

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum, but thought I might try to get a group together who will be biking the Camino in September 2017. I'm planning on starting in St Jean in mid September and finishing in Santiago about 11 days later, travelling between 60km and 80km per day. I thought it might be good to share planning tips, see some friendly faces on the road, share a drink, a few stories and support each other if we need some help on the Way. We can travel at our own pace or link up for a couple of legs if we want.

Hopefully I'll be a dual pilgrim because I hiked the Kumano Kodo, Japan in 2012.

Happy to chat, Buen Camino !

MT
Australia
Hello MT - I am arriving early evening 19/9 in Biaritz, then taxi (as I cant make the train connection in time) to SJPDP to commence on 20/9. Renting a bike package to be delivered to the first gite on 19/9 and arriving leisurely in SC on 3/10. Still sorting out logistics, which is a bit of a faff!

Ah Darren those pesky cars are a worry! Like Mark said it's still 3 months and you might turn out to be a super healer and be ready, take care and do what the physio says ;)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Martin, I'm about 2 weeks away from locking in a start date in St Jean on 9/9/17 and riding over 14 days, so don't think I'll see you. Good luck and I'll confirm dates shortly. My plan is to fly London - Biaritz and then Santiago - London. Check out the ride shares from the airport to St Jean and you might be able to save some money. I'm then staying in the usual albergues along the route with no bookings, riding about 70km per day.

Getting excited now ! About to book London to Biarritz on 15/9/17 and SDC to London on 29/9/17. Looks like I'll go with Bicigrino for a bike because they can package up everything and deliver to St Jean.

Hi everyone. I'm jumping in this very big thread. Hello again Jenny! I met you on another forum in this website.

Originally I was going to walk the Camino, but I think it will be too hard on my knees. Fitness and strength is not an issue for me, but knee pain is (which is not aggravated by cycling).

I will be ready to start my Camino on August 20 and will need to be finished up in Santiago on the 16th of September which will give me 4 weeks total. I understand that this might be a 'long time' to cycle the Camino, but my dates are already set as I am currently traveling through Europe and booked my flights and dates with the intention of walking the Camino. I think I will just use this time to take it easy, enjoy the different places I am going to and meeting people (as well as writing, reading and applying for work back in for when I arrive back in Australia)!

Does anyone know of a bike company that would refund you the excess amount if you return your bike earlier than anticipate? I expect this kind of company does not exist.

I found this bicycle company: https://www.tournride.com/en/
My quote for nearly one month, including pannier bags, helmet, insurance and luggage transport from one end to the other was about 560 Euro. Is this normal or expensive? Sounds expensive to me but perhaps it's normal, I've never hired a bike for this long before.

I was going to pack in my bag for the duration of the camino:

- 1 extra quick dry shirt and bike shorts
-1 x shammy
-1 x extra pair of underwear
-small bottle of soap for body and hair and clothes
-Toothbrush and paste & floss
-PJs?
-head torch
-GPs watch and charger
-Phone and charger
-Notebook and pen (for journaling)
-Book to read-if space, but probably not.
-Sunscreen
-hat
-swimmers?

I will wear a separate pair of bike shorts and quick dry shirt, my runners and windproof rain jacket. Am I missing anything?

Any tips for a solo traveler?

I was going to stay in airbnb in St Jean the night before my first day on the trail. Will I be able to find my way easily from an airbnb?

Thanks guys.
Kind regards,
Rasa

€60,-
Hi Mark, Darren, Jenny!

I'm back to planning Camino after I have done all my exams (just waiting for results of the last one), I'm back from holidays and now just enjoying summer! Work, back to volleyball training, cycling to work every day, and will try to do weekend longer cycles with bags to try out equipment and heaviness of panniers. I have caught up with watching Camino videos on YouTube and have excel spreadsheet with planning different aspects of September trip.

I have flight on 02-Sep-17 UK-Biarritz, then starting from SJPDP on 03-Sep-17. flexible on end dates (but latest 23-Sep).

My biggest investigation now is Bike Rental. I have researched:
Cycling Rentals
Cycling The Camino,
Bike Iberia, and
TourRide.

Since I'm looking for E-bike rentals, my choice is more limited. I'm also looking at aspects of Insurance (does it cover Stolen bikes and what is breakdown assistance). I was also reading details of their delivery of bicycle to STPDP. When you start reading small print, you realise they cannot deliver to you on weekend or they require to be in STPDP day before for whole day to receive it.

With Technical assistance (breakdown cover), the services included in the price vary a lot across the companies. with some companies you responsible to get bike to repair shop, and will be repaired maybe next day, maybe not at all. And other company offered they will come to you and repair bike where you are and swap bike if needed, and all is included in price. Read the small print!

I emailed for quote for 3 weeks to Cycling Rentals, and they just replied that all their Ebikes have been booked up for September (either many people want to rent ebikes, or they only have 2 in stock). So better hurry up with rest of companies.

In the end, I'm inclined to go with TourRide, which will cost me about €760, but everything will be included, and they deliver to SJPDP and give full comprehensive technical support for equipment.

Any other bike rental companies worth to look at?

Happy summer!
Sol.

Hi All, I just signed in to this forum.
I am planning to bike the Camino starting September 18th or 19th 2017.
I would like to start from St Jean as well, and cross the Pyrenees but i want to join the Northern Way and bike along the coast.
Is there any recommended route to do that?

Hi all, a couple of comments -

I've also been crunching the spreadsheets and websites, narrowing down bike hire to either Bicigrino or Bike Iberia for similar reasons outlined above, being delivery to St Jean and how easy it is to use the website. My rough quote for 14 days on a mountain bike on Bicigrino is about 350 euros which seems good to me. They also have a list of albergues which I assume are bike friendly otherwise I don't think they would be on the website. I'd like to stay at Ivar's list of classic albergues, but I would prefer somewhere I can secure my bike overnight as well. Not sure about alternative routes, this will be my first camino, starting 16/9/17 in St Jean.

Anybody feel like catching up to compare notes? I'm Sydney based, but will be in Melbourne next week for work? I realize we probably don't want to put phone numbers or email addresses up on an open forum, but does anybody feel like nominating a date, time and place?

@Mark T17 Sounds like a great idea but I live in Qld so not possible at this stage. If I go to Sydney before September I'll get in touch though.
We went through Cycling Rentals as they offered a good deal and the web site was in English We paid €370 for 3 weeks, pay 2 get 3rd free, and that includes delivery to Pamplona and transfer of Main bag to Santiago, and pick up of bike in Santiago.
Cheers and happy planning.

Hello everyone.....just something for people on this thread to be aware of . If you are really doing this ride as a pilgrimage then be aware that the Compostela will not be issued to you in Santiago and so you will not get the final stamp on your credance if you ride the camino on an E-Bike , of course this may not be important to you , but just a thought .

I have used both "Triana Hostel " bike hire and Cyclingthecamino bike hire companies and the prices were..........285 euros for 30 days .........Cyclingthecamino.....309 euros ....12 days . Both were good bikes and good service .

Ps. The shop/office of Cyclingthecamino in Santiago (where you will drop the bike off ) is just a 2 minute walk from Plaza de Galicia where the airport bus leaves from .

Regards.....John

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips John, but I'll be riding a normal mountain bike, so I should be ok for a compostela.

So glad to find this thread. I walked the Frances last Aug/Sept and loved it. I am hoping to go back this summer but am not sure that I have enough days to hike again so I´ve been thinking about biking. I would imagine that 12 days would be plenty but giving myself 15 would be quite comfortable. Have any of you compared biking the Frances and El Norte? I have heard that the Norte is largely road and makes a good (and beautiful) bike route. Also I am glad to see so many thinking about Sept. I was worried about the weather after having hot, but otherwise perfect, weather in late Aug and the first week of Sept. Hope to see some of you on the way.

So glad to find this thread. I walked the Frances last Aug/Sept and loved it. I am hoping to go back this summer but am not sure that I have enough days to hike again so I´ve been thinking about biking. I would imagine that 12 days would be plenty but giving myself 15 would be quite comfortable. Have any of you compared biking the Frances and El Norte? I have heard that the Norte is largely road and makes a good (and beautiful) bike route. Also I am glad to see so many thinking about Sept. I was worried about the weather after having hot, but otherwise perfect, weather in late Aug and the first week of Sept. Hope to see some of you on the way.

I think I can do the Frances on a bike in 11 or 12 days, but thought I would leave a 14 day window in case I want to take a rest day or a bus trip out to Muxia at the end or maybe the weather turns bad and I just need a rest, so 14 days seems about right to me. September pilgrim numbers and weather also appealed to me and it fits in with my annual work trip to London, so it works for me. Not sure about the Norte, this is my first Camino so I want to do the Frances. Good luck !

I'm booked ! Still looking for a ride share from Biarritz to SJPDP at 1.15pm on 15 Sept, otherwise all good ! I ended up going with Bike Iberia because they packaged everything up over 14 days with delivery of the bike to SJPDP.

See you on the Way !

Mark T

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi All,
How's everyone's plans going?
Everything booked and finalised?
Any last minute panics or situations?

I'm still on the injury list so I'm ill be living my life vicariously through your adventures.

Hi Darren, sorry to hear you're still injured, your Camino time will come. I'm pretty much organised and the excitement is building. There's always an element of trepidation- omg what am I thinking lol and there's a saying I quite like 'all will be fine in the end, and if it's not fine, then it's not the end'
Cheers and speedy recovery
Jenny

Jenny, delighted for you and I have to admit a wee bit jealous at the same time. I hope you have a great time and if you have a chance drop us a line to let me know how it's going or how it went when you get back. Pro/cons etc.

Buen Camino

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Darren, sorry to hear you're still injured, your Camino time will come. I'm pretty much organised and the excitement is building. There's always an element of trepidation- omg what am I thinking lol and there's a saying I quite like 'all will be fine in the end, and if it's not fine, then it's not the end'
Cheers and speedy recovery
Jenny
Lovely Oscar Wilde quote Jenny

Hi Darren, Sorry to hear your news and I can only repeat Jenny's wishes for you. I'm booked and ready to leave SJPDP on 16 September, cant do much else now except keep up the training, get off the beer and wine for 4 weeks and stay healthy. I am a little concerned about the distance to be covered over 2 weeks, but I keep telling myself its all downhill after day 1 ! I'm reading bits and pieces from my Brierley guide and checking video's on Youtube for updates, have to say the excitement is building !

Cheers,

MT

Good on ya mark, good on ya!

Remember to enjoy it, roll with the punches and don't sweat the small stuff.
I'm pretty sure you have planed for almost everything, all that's left is to turn up for your flights on time.

Buen Camino

Hi Mark,

Yes - I'm too planning to have a extra day of sightseeing in the biggest cities. I'm also open to climb /walk up a few peaks along the line to see the landscape across, or do any other crazy stuff (new experiences). I booked extra week off work in order to take away the stress of reaching the finish line in time. I'm approaching it as a pilgrimage first, as a sightseeing and cycling holiday second. I want to interact / talk to many people along the way. I speak conversational Spanish, so want to practice Spanish and try to speak to locals and absorb local culture and custom, soak it all in.
Regarding travelling to Saint Jean, at moment my plan is to buy fly from UK to Biarritz (most probably sat-02-sep), then shared bus to St Jean Pied de Port. I found the small bus share company that you reserve and pay depending on how many people booked around that time. I'm renting bicycle, so travelling to SJPdP with my panniers (rucksack) only.

I haven't watch You Tube videos yet. I'm leaving that till June, when exams finished. But I'm reading some threads here and noting down about things to acquire later.

Catch up soon.

Sol.
Hi Sol, can you please share the Bus Share company Contact details ?
I am flying into Biarritz on 24June. I was planning on taking my bike on the train ( €10) to SJPDP.

Thanks
Martin

I am flying into Biarritz on 24June. I was planning on taking my bike on the train ( €10) to SJPDP.

Thanks
Martin

If you are flying into Biarritz you might just bike down to SJPdP. The distance is roughly 50 km and a relative easy ride.

Happy planning and Buen camino!

Last edited:
Hi Martin,
I booked transfer with company called Express Bourricot.
Google them, and website will come up. If I remember, I emailed them to book my place. Ask them in email about bicycle though, as it was passengers only bus.
It was small minivan with 8 passenger places, and it was nice ride into the mountains. The experience was similar with ski resort transfers, where you enjoy being on a smaller bus, and you enjoy the scenery outside.
If bus is full, then price was €19. I gave him twenty, and was happy with the service.
I was nice evening getting into STPDP at 6pm and going together with fellow travellers to the office to register for the camino. Nice memories!

Buen camino!

Sol.
http://www.expressbourricot.com/persons-transport/

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi,
Just wanted to touch base with all or any of the guys or gals that ended up completing their cycle on this year Camino, and would be happy to share there experiences, good and bad.
It was almost a year ago when I replied to Mark’s thread in biking the Way.
As things progressed through the year
It looked pretty good for some of us to meet somewhere along the road, plans were coming together to either to cycle together for a few days or just to have a quick glass of Rioja and wee chat.
Anyway as most of you know I had a pretty bad road traffic accident back in May, which put me out of the running for any type of cycling for the rest of the year.
So no Camino trip this year.
It has now been 7 months since the accident, with a trip to surgery to have my shoulder reattached and a lot of physiotherapy, I’m now happy to say I’m ready to get my ass in gear and get back on the bike.
So now I want to try again and aim for late April early may 2018.
This is where I need your help.
Any experiences, good and bad, People you’ve met, nice or nasty, or any advice that you think will help, then please get in touch.
But generally I just want to hear how your trip went.
Please get in touch soon

Darren

I am flying into Biarritz on 24June. I was planning on taking my bike on the train ( €10) to SJPDP.Thanks
Martin
My son and I used Express Bourricot from Biarritz to SJPdP with 2 bikes. No problem.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

I have walked several caminos since 2013 and am hoping to experience the Primitivo in September. Recently I have developed a nasty intermittent pain in the ball of my feet, especially the left...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back