• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Biking the Camino de Norte

GoodH

Time of past OR future Camino
Biking the Camino de Norte
Hi!
A friend of mine and myself will be biking the Camino De Norte in late may- early June. We have hybrid bikes and are planning on biking around 60 km a day (is that reasonable?)

If any one has some tips on the following topics we would love the advice
- wear a backpack? Or just use paniers?
- type of bike lock to use?
-camping or hostels?
-call and book hostels in advance or just show up?
-stick to the trail or follow roads near by?
-time of day that hostels will let us in?
-anything that we should add to our repair kit? (so far we have: 2 extra tubes, tire lever, pump, patches, alan keys)
-anything else that would be helpful

Thanks in advance!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I can't answer most of your questions, but I would take a small backpack to carry the valuables around when you are off the bikes. Buen Camino, SY

hello,
i did the camino de norte with bicycle and walking.
on bici around 90 - 100 km a day is possible. i have on my bici 2 bags in front, one on the top and 2 in the back. all waterproof.
i can`t remember i ever lock my bike, lol
some alberge are welcome pilgrims with bici some not, than i ask people nearby if i can stay with my tent in there garden, very welcome.
if you book a place you have to arrive, but you never now.
on trail if is possible, but always good to know a way on the road.
take care on the way, buen camino

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Most private albergues take bikes, the advantage is you can ring ahead. The Albergue de Peregrinos in Irun takes cyclists, Islares, Aviles, Baamonde, Sobrado dox Monxes do as well, there is a probably a few more locally or association run ones who do as well. You usually have to wait in these non profit albergues until they are sure they will not have more walking pilgrims. Cyclists and walkers do share some of the route, but there is places where cyclists are recommended to take alterative ways, usually due to the Camino not being suitable for bikes.
I have not cycled it but know a few people who have, give yourself a lower km average for the Basque country (or to Bilbao).

I have only seen one cyclist come of their bike and that was the stage leading to Gijon, if you go that way be careful there is a rough forest track going downhill, she nearly went over the edge of a dropoff and she had to ground herself to stop it.

And

Buen Camino

Most read last week in this forum

Hi pilgrims , last year i had some spare days and i walked from Irun to Santander , so my plan for this year was to start in Bilbao and walk to Santiago in 24 days . It turned out that i can...
Hi, ive been training for my CDN in two weeks time and thought i'd get some UK coastline under my belt (Scarborough to Robin hoods Bay). I have to say i was just not prepared for the amount for...
hello We plan to walk from Irún to San Sebastián first day in Mid May and looking for feedback on how long it takes. Think we are up to it but will be our first day. Thanks for your thoughts and...
Please, am I mad to contemplate the following combo: Norte: Biarritz-Bayonne-Irun-Santander (via Bayonne to get my legs going) Santander - train to Leon San Salvador - Leon to Oviedo Primitivo -...
I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
What is the most beautiful seven day section on the Camino del Norte? I have a good friend who cannot come with me for the entire walk. She is only available for a week. I start from Irun. She...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back