• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Biking the Camino Late Dec 2016

Daniel D.

Time of past OR future Camino
I plan to bike the Camino this month(Dec 2016-Jan2017). I don't have a lot of forethought or expectations, but know that I need something like this in my current place in life. I also have the advantage of likely being in Madrid for Christmas and can use that as a base camp to leave from and come back to by train which cuts down on travel costs.
Hello new friends!

I am planning to bike from Pamplona to Santiago de Compostela starting around the 26th of December. I have around 17 days planned to do it (in case I run into some trouble with weather) and I will be bringing my own bike to do it.

I was just wondering if anyone had experience biking the Camino in this time of year and what I should expect. I am planning to do my shopping for it next weekend and have budgeted around 600 Euros for supplies that I am sure I will need. I have two panniers already that are in slightly rough shape but I will just buy two drybags to keep all of my stuff in.

I was thinking of copying the trip I saw another user do:
1: Cirauqui
2: Torres del Rio
3: Azofra
4: Ages
5: Castrojeriz
6: Real de Bercianos Camino
7: Astorga
8: Ponferrada
9: O'Cebreiro
10: Portomarin
11: Arzua
12: SdC

Any and all tips would be appreciated. The reason for the short time frame is that I'm at a bit of a life crossroads and decided to spend my Christmas at a friends place outside of Madrid this Christmas (I live in Germany). I thought about making a roadtrip of it and driving down and then bringing my bike was a simple next step.

Thanks for any tips that you guys have. I apologize if this has already been addressed in another thread.... I did look... I swear....

Daniel

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
One tip - pack a very good set of thermals - for fingers / toes / ears. I also suggest trying to get a copy of the Michelin Camino Guide book as it will provide details of major/minor roads you can use to get around those non-bike friendly sections.
What type of bike (and tyres) are you riding? As its probable that you will encounter rain - frosts (even ice/snow) really good gripping wet-weather tyres are a must (imho). Your other "problem" many (if not most) of the public/municipal albergues are likely to be closed. Down load a copy of the list of ablergues that is available via this forum.
(I am not aware cycling the Frances in winter being posted - BUT there is a large amount of cycle pilgrim data - check the section "Biking the Camino".) Have a look at this section and them come back with any further questions.

Hello new friends!

I have two panniers already that are in slightly rough shape but I will just buy two drybags to keep all of my stuff in.
Daniel

Be sure your rack is really solid. The rattling on the way causes cheaper racks to break and any loose bolts to fall out. Rack repair is one of the top 3 maintenance issues out there

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi friends,

Here is a current photo of my bike. It has (I believe) 18 gears internal in a hub on the rear and a single cog on the front. It has been highly modified before it was given/lent to me by my girlfriends dad who decided to go the hybrid route of biking. The company is German and seems to be a pretty solid company that I see many people riding.

I am willing to splurge on some new tires to tackle the ride. I don't know how large I can actually go with these rims and the wideness of the front fork, but the current tires are more geared to summer riding. The second picture gives a bit of a view of the tires themselves (Sorry, I'm on the road for work, otherwise I would post better photos).

The rack on the back to attach the paniers seems pretty good, but I might still consider bringing along zipties etc just in case.

Do you guys know if it would only be the last pass over the mountains just before I get to SdC that would have the majority of the snow, or should I swap out my bike for a dogsled from the getgo ;)

I will definitely be going to my local outdoor store for getting outfitted for this. It's a bit scary come to think of it in the winter, but somehow that makes it even more exciting!

Thanks for the great responses so far!

Daniel

Attachments

• 2016-06-12 17.07.32.jpg
    2016-06-12 17.07.32.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 24
  • 2016-06-12 17.07.38.jpg
    2016-06-12 17.07.38.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 22
Hi friends,

Here is a current photo of my bike. It has (I believe) 18 gears internal in a hub on the rear and a single cog on the front. It has been highly modified before it was given/lent to me by my girlfriends dad who decided to go the hybrid route of biking. The company is German and seems to be a pretty solid company that I see many people riding.

I am willing to splurge on some new tires to tackle the ride. I don't know how large I can actually go with these rims and the wideness of the front fork, but the current tires are more geared to summer riding. The second picture gives a bit of a view of the tires themselves (Sorry, I'm on the road for work, otherwise I would post better photos).

The rack on the back to attach the paniers seems pretty good, but I might still consider bringing along zipties etc just in case.

Do you guys know if it would only be the last pass over the mountains just before I get to SdC that would have the majority of the snow, or should I swap out my bike for a dogsled from the getgo ;)

I will definitely be going to my local outdoor store for getting outfitted for this. It's a bit scary come to think of it in the winter, but somehow that makes it even more exciting!

Thanks for the great responses so far!

Daniel
Hi Daniel having a quick look at your photo of the bike ( viewed on a phone ) it would not be suitable for off road use as in the walkers trail so not sure if your plan was to use only tarmac roads ? I cycled the Francis in April / May on a fully fledged mountain bike and regularly had to clean the mud off the chain / gears wheels and your mud guards chain guard could not cope Regards Alan

Hi Alan,

This is where I keep reading conflicting reports - am I riding on tarmac or on walking trails? I used to be a mountain biker but if I am riding real trails I totally agree that I would need to likely rent a bike. If that is the case, I wouldn't invest in new tires or anything. Are there always options for tarmac, or is most of the trail more like a real mountain bike trail? I read from someone that there was almost always a road on the side of the walkers trail (Not that I want to be always on a road, but it would give me an out if I'm in too deep)

Daniel

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi all,

I am starting to rethink this entirely. The goal of this isn't to complicate things or do something that I need to put a ton of money into - It's supposed to be tough and to push me. I think I am considering just walking it from Leon to SdC instead of biking it. The more I read, the more I think that simply logistically, it is simpler to just walk it (and less expensive) and though I won't get to boast about the distance as much... Maybe a bit of humility would serve me better.

Still considering, but I will maybe abandon this thread and let you guys know if I decide to go in another direction. Regardless, thanks for the tips.

The Camino still awaits. (So long as my vacation gets approved ;) )

Hi Alan,

This is where I keep reading conflicting reports - am I riding on tarmac or on walking trails? I used to be a mountain biker but if I am riding real trails I totally agree that I would need to likely rent a bike. If that is the case, I wouldn't invest in new tires or anything. Are there always options for tarmac, or is most of the trail more like a real mountain bike trail? I read from someone that there was almost always a road on the side of the walkers trail (Not that I want to be always on a road, but it would give me an out if I'm in too deep)

Daniel
I cycled the walkers route as that's the experience I wanted,and took 28 days to complete it yes there is always a Tarmac road nearby as a lot of the time the path runs alongside the road but sometimes the path deviates away from it and that's when you need a mountin bike I only used the road to avoid steep descents as I don't feel you get the same experience on the road Alan

I cycled the walkers route as that's the experience I wanted,and took 28 days to complete it yes there is always a Tarmac road nearby as a lot of the time the path runs alongside the road but sometimes the path deviates away from it and that's when you need a mountin bike I only used the road to avoid steep descents as I don't feel you get the same experience on the road Alan

This is really helpful. Exactly what I was trying to figure out.

Maybe because it's winter,I should stick to walking. I worry most about the bike that I have... and also the costs that start to become associated with biking the distance. Maybe in a few years I will try biking it, but I think I have all but made up my mind to walk it instead. Sorry that I took all that time that you responded and now I'm not even biking it!

Daniel

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Daniel D.

Whether walking or biking soon you will be on your way; how excited you must be counting the days.

Do scan this recent Forum thread for posts/ links by many of us who have walked at this time to help you prepare your winter camino.
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...forum-walking-this-dec-jan.42732/#post-437828

West from Leon particularly difficult stretches after winter storms might be from Rabanal across Monte Irago to Ponferrada and, of course, climbing/descending O Cebreiro.

Wherever you do begin it is most important to be prepared for storms and not take chances; walking in snow takes practice.

Happy planning and Buen camino!

Wow! What a trove of resources! Thanks! This community is truly wonderful!

I am very excited to be able to share in an experience that so many have done before me, and although not solely religious, I'm looking forward to the clarity of me vs. the km. Walking the winter Camino seems to be a wonderful balance of solitude and challenge - just what I need!

Thank you again! And any more tips are ALWAYS appreciated!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
This is really helpful. Exactly what I was trying to figure out.

Maybe because it's winter,I should stick to walking. I worry most about the bike that I have... and also the costs that start to become associated with biking the distance. Maybe in a few years I will try biking it, but I think I have all but made up my mind to walk it instead. Sorry that I took all that time that you responded and now I'm not even biking it!

Daniel
No problem I got lots of advice of this forum before I started mine . I think it's probably wiser this time of year to walk it as I only had one chance of getting four weeks off work I opted for cycling as I wanted to complete it in one go I spent lots of time walking with my bike and talking to people I met so it was the best of both worlds Buen Camino

Daniel - having second thoughts about cycling v walking is not unusual (especially at this time of year). As I have noted in my posts there are a number of sections on the Camino Frances that are not "bike friendly" and there are others like the Meseta which are just made for any reasonably equipped cycle. If you do decide to continue with the bike I think you might think about removing the mudguards (especially the rear one). "On the road" bike maintenance will be very important - keeping the chain and pedals clean / free from mud (I think there will be much dust) and extra road grime. Those car wash places are good places to give the bike a regular wash. Of course Spain (like France/Holland) is a bit "bike mad" so most large towns/cities have good to very good to great bike shops where you can bet the bike serviced if required. (If you decide to walk - there is a great blog from one of our most experienced pilgrims SY - she is currently walking the Frances - started from St Jean about 3 or 4 days ago). Buen Camino!

Alright. It's official. I've crossed to the side of the walking.

All signs point to walking and all costs point there as well. Thanks for all of the advice! There are so many things that drive me to want to bike, but the Canadian in me fears the cold. I know it will be warmer than I imagine, but I prefer to believe I will die a slow death frozen to the trail (it gives me a morbid hope)

The resources that mspath spoke of above have been incredible.... My entire evening has been spent scouring them! What a great community! I'm excited to be able to contribute as well at some point rather than just take!

Daniel

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

Ivan. I believe I can rent two bikes through you between Burgos and Leon. Can you let me know if this is possible? I plan to arrive in Burgos on 11 May and start cycling the next day. Thanks
Plan to cycle between Burgos and Leon over three or four days. Are there any interesting detours between these two cities that would take up a 4th day?
I Willl start biking from SJPD on 9.may with Ebike. I have a list of bike friendly albergs is there somebody who have experience with charging batery in such alberg. Do i need afdition 220v...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back