• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Biking the English Route

sara carlson

Time of past OR future Camino
planning to do Camino de Santiago either 2016 or 2017 and also part of Via Francigena 2016 or 2017
I'm considering biking the camino; but am interested in both the Northern and English routes. I know cyclists have to bike the last 200 km which eliminates the English route since it isn't that long. If a person were to cycle 100 km or more of the Northern route, and then transfer to the English route and bike the whole thing, would they qualify for a compestella? Or would it be better to either cycle the northern route or hike and leave the bike out of the equation? I'm still a couple of years away from my camino so at this point I'm mainly researching but am interested in doing some long long distance cycling and/or hiking around the world.

Thanks for any insight anyone can give.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The final 200 kilometers must be contiguous if on a bicycle (100 Km if on foot). So, the segment of the Norte you cycle must intersect directly with the final leg of the Ingles into Santiago.

This means you cannot do, say 100 km somewhere along one Camino, then ride a bus with your bike to pick up the Camino Ingles at Ferrol, riding the final 108 or so Km into Santiago. This would not be contiguous.

As long as your daily sellos / stamps establish the contiguity of the 200 km, you should qualify for the Compostela.

I hope this helps.

Most read last week in this forum

I have walked several caminos since 2013 and am hoping to experience the Primitivo in September. Recently I have developed a nasty intermittent pain in the ball of my feet, especially the left...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back