• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Biking the Portuguese

Martin.P

Time of past OR future Camino
Via Algarvinia (Sept 12)
Camino Frances (June 16)
Via de la Plata (May 19)
Finisterre (July 16)
Hi all, I'm looking into biking the Portuguese Way first week of May. We have previously completed Via Algarvinia, Caminos Frances & La Plata by bike, plus walked the Finisterre so we have some experience on The Way.

Just starting research & you guys were such a great help on previous trips, I thought I'd throw out this first question (more to come) & see what you guys think.

Portuguese Way during first week of May. Lisbon to Santiago - which route to take & why?

All advice welcome.....thanking you in advance.
M.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I rode in the fall of 2016. Definitely a great trip. We just followed the river out of Lisbon to Santarem. Followed arrows from there. We spent extra tourist days in Coimbra and Porto. After Porto we hit the coastal route then back on the regular route through Tui.

It is an easy trip and safe. Our route was a good mix of interior and coastal with good roads/trails, albergues, and cafes. We used the Brieley guide to find the albergues, otherwise completely self-guided by means of yellow arrows.

Panniers contained less than 20 pounds including necessary bike tools and supplies. I'd take even less next time.

Hi all, I'm looking into biking the Portuguese Way first week of May. We have previously completed Via Algarvinia, Caminos Frances & La Plata by bike, plus walked the Finisterre so we have some experience on The Way.

Just starting research & you guys were such a great help on previous trips, I thought I'd throw out this first question (more to come) & see what you guys think.

Portuguese Way during first week of May. Lisbon to Santiago - which route to take & why?

All advice welcome.....thanking you in advance.
M.
Enjoyed riding from Santiago to Peniche last year on the Portuguese / Fatima (started in Bilbao but that's another Camino or two). If you have ridden other Caminos then it will not be difficult for you, suggest using the Buen Camino and Komoot apps for guidance & routing. A gravel bike or hard-tail will be sufficient & can recommend the Albergue Molhino Garcia south of Porto. A link to my ride can be found here. Buen Camino.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I rode in the fall of 2016. Definitely a great trip. We just followed the river out of Lisbon to Santarem. Followed arrows from there. We spent extra tourist days in Coimbra and Porto. After Porto we hit the coastal route then back on the regular route through Tui.

It is an easy trip and safe. Our route was a good mix of interior and coastal with good roads/trails, albergues, and cafes. We used the Brieley guide to find the albergues, otherwise completely self-guided by means of yellow arrows.

Panniers contained less than 20 pounds including necessary bike tools and supplies. I'd take even less next time.
Thank you for that CcRider, I'm seeing a lot of boardwalks on coastal section. Can you tell me are they plentiful? Busy? What are alternatives like?
Regards,
M.

I've lost my pic of the boardwalk from last October so to refresh my memory, I have picked this one off google streetmaps. You'll see that bikes are not allowed on boardwalks (sign) so you'll need to take the roads/cycle lanes that run parallel.

There is some differences of opinion (as usual) about the safety of cyclists on Portuguese roads. I found them no different from Spain / most of Europe so take the road if you feel it safe for you.

Attachments

• Boardwalk.jpg
    Boardwalk.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 15
Thank you for that CcRider, I'm seeing a lot of boardwalks on coastal section. Can you tell me are they plentiful? Busy? What are alternatives like?
Regards,
M.
The boardwalks are on the first day out of Porto and are not long from a cycling perspective. I recall the time on the boardwalks to be less than an hour and very sandy. It was a rainy day in September so there were not many people out.

Riding from Lisbon, this is the first day on the beach so the ride is really nice. If the boardwalk is crowded or bikes are not allowed you can ride the road. I do not recall that bikes were not allowed but also there was no one out there that day and we might not have noticed the signs.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I've lost my pic of the boardwalk from last October so to refresh my memory, I have picked this one off google streetmaps. You'll see that bikes are not allowed on boardwalks (sign) so you'll need to take the roads/cycle lanes that run parallel.

There is some differences of opinion (as usual) about the safety of cyclists on Portuguese roads. I found them no different from Spain / most of Europe so take the road if you feel it safe for you.
My experience with cycling safety in Portugal is that the drivers are really aggressive towards pedestrians but kind to cyclists. I felt that the Portuguese people in general were supportive of our cycling journey and efforts.

When approaching Porto we got lost and a local cyclist put us on this wheel and pulled us towards Porto for about an hour. Riding with him taught us how to better maneuver traffic circles, merges, and the busy roads. He'd signal his intention to the drivers and we'd safely go.

In contrast to riding in the USA, I have to carefully pick and choose my routes. Unfortunately, I would never cycle tour on the open road here in the USA.

Thank you Corned Beef.

Enjoyed riding from Santiago to Peniche last year on the Portuguese / Fatima (started in Bilbao but that's another Camino or two). If you have ridden other Caminos then it will not be difficult for you, suggest using the Buen Camino and Komoot apps for guidance & routing. A gravel bike or hard-tail will be sufficient & can recommend the Albergue Molhino Garcia south of Porto. A link to my ride can be found here. Buen Camino.
Thank you Skinnyrider, your blog has really wet my appetite!!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
All - at a guess what percentage is Trail v's Road?

We'll have MTB hardtails so won't really matter that much, but prefer the beaten track as long as we are not overcrowding it.

Also, could those of you who have done Frances, La Plata or Norte compare it to Portuguese?
Same as?
Harder?
Easier - but......Weather? Wind?

I believe it's definitely flatter?

How 'authentic' do you want the route to be? There is a Eurovelo route (EV1) which runs along the coast from Lisbon to the Portuguese/Spanish border. Site has downloadable files. These tend to use less road (there are pics of bikes on boardwalks ...) and nice smooth cycle lanes. These cycle lanes have been extended into the Galician section too.

EV1 also runs along the west coast of Ireland if you want to practice.

Attachments

• IMG_2767.JPG
    IMG_2767.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2771.JPG
    IMG_2771.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 11
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Portugese inland route not too difficult compared to the french way , group of 4 of us did it from Porto in 2018, 3 on mtb 1 on a road bike there were only a couple of sections he had to look for alternative routes.
Drivers generally Ok but im used to riding in the UK where cyclists are largely treated as 2nd class citizens .
Portugese people were very helpful one of the group a vegan and they would go out of there way to accomodate his needs, highly reccomend.
Only problem being getting train back from Santiago to Porto as limited number of bicycles allowed on train, meaning we had to get series of local trains threading our way back to Porto but took a while. Buen camino

All - at a guess what percentage is Trail v's Road?

We'll have MTB hardtails so won't really matter that much, but prefer the beaten track as long as we are not overcrowding it.
There is a lot more road than trail, maybe 90/10. The trails do not get crowded until Tui, the alternative through Vigo might be less crowded.

Some final comments;
  • the predominant wind is Northerly, 40 - 45% during May
  • the coastal boardwalk / coastal path is great but may become boring after a while
  • an Irish guy wrote some great stuff here specifically about riding the Norte but included some good general advice about riding Caminos
  • And I meant to add that this forum is by its nature very peregrino oriented, bicigrinos receive far fewer replies, so, look up some of the bicigrino, bike touring and cycling-in-Spain websites for extra information. However ultimately the conclusion is; don't over plan and don't overpack then you won't go too far wrong.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Some final comments;
  • the predominant wind is Northerly, 40 - 45% during May
  • the coastal boardwalk / coastal path is great but may become boring after a while
  • an Irish guy wrote some great stuff here specifically about riding the Norte but included some good general advice about riding Caminos
  • And I meant to add that this forum is by its nature very peregrino oriented, bicigrinos receive far fewer replies, so, look up some of the bicigrino, bike touring and cycling-in-Spain websites for extra information. However ultimately the conclusion is; don't over plan and don't overpack then you won't go too far wrong.
Thank you SkinnyBiker

There is a lot more road than trail, maybe 90/10. The trails do not get crowded until Tui, the alternative through Vigo might be less crowded.
Hi CcRider, this disappoints me - 90% Road? When you say Road - u mean tarmac? Or do you class the wide gravel trails I've cylced in Spain thru farmland as Roads?

Portugese inland route not too difficult compared to the french way , group of 4 of us did it from Porto in 2018, 3 on mtb 1 on a road bike there were only a couple of sections he had to look for alternative routes.
Drivers generally Ok but im used to riding in the UK where cyclists are largely treated as 2nd class citizens .
Portugese people were very helpful one of the group a vegan and they would go out of there way to accomodate his needs, highly reccomend.
Only problem being getting train back from Santiago to Porto as limited number of bicycles allowed on train, meaning we had to get series of local trains threading our way back to Porto but took a while. Buen camino
Thank you Steve, I'm definitely going to have to do more research regarding Road v's Trail though, if you say a Road bike can make most sections it doesn't sound like my kind of trip, I want to follow the beaten track.

€83,-
Hi CcRider, this disappoints me - 90% Road? When you say Road - u mean tarmac? Or do you class the wide gravel trails I've cylced in Spain thru farmland as Roads?
Our ride was mostly on the road alongside cars, especially south of Porto. We rode dirt roads and cobbles as well, rode a very short section original roman cobbles too. Best estimate of 90% may have been 70% but by and large we were rolling fast and smooth on black top.

Wide gravel or double track sections not to be confused with road. Also, we would opt to ride the road alternative to the hiking trail when the option existed.

I just completed the section between Lisbon and Tomar using the Breirly guide and would suggest there are some sections that are very challenging for a bike. Even the road sections are difficult with busy traffic, peleginos one side and bikes the other with barely any margin at the side of the road. Some typical conditions attached . some more detail on blog Here . Just to say there are some beautiful stretches

Attachments

• IMG_20220511_105209226_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220511_105209226_HDR.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20220514_095601960_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220514_095601960_HDR.jpg
    7 MB · Views: 8

Most read last week in this forum

I have walked several caminos since 2013 and am hoping to experience the Primitivo in September. Recently I have developed a nasty intermittent pain in the ball of my feet, especially the left...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back