• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Biking

Patricia Stockton

Time of past OR future Camino
Ride from Leon to Santiago
My friend and I hired bikes from Leon Bikes and so far have riden to El Fabio, we did very little research as that's the kind of gals we are (we are Aussies and not young) we have travelled the exact path, through rubble and gravel for a few days before becoming impossible (with 8 kilo's of Paniers) then hit some roads. We climbed and climbed up to Le Fabo and decided it is just too hard, so now we are waiting for our bikes to be taken to the top of O'cebereiro and we will walk and pick them up. I don't recommend what we have done to anyone, it is too difficult for the average rider. Maybe bike shop should have told us.

Attachments

• IMG_1946.JPG
    IMG_1946.JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 21
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Cycling sounds like it would be easier. But the terrain is NOT smooth and paved. It is also hilly, muddy, and at times treacherous. I will not even delve into the competition for space with walking pilgrims. THAT is a different dynamic.

What I will say, as a three times walking pilgrim over that stretch of the Camino Frances is that at O'cebreiro, you have gotten through the worst the Camino has to offer. From there to Santiago, it is relatively much easier on bike, or on foot for that matter.

This said, the decision to use a bicycle is not to be taken lightly. In my view, and I have considered and researched it, this is something best left to dedicated "sprocket heads" who know what they are doing when riding cross country off road. I have have knee and ankle arthritis and even walking is painful some days. But I can manage ME alone, better than I can manage a bicycle, plus my achy breaky joints.

Casual pilgrims who think they will use a bicycle to make it easier to do are probably better suited to walking and using mochila transport services to move their rucksacks from one nightly accommodation to another.

Then again, this is my opinion. But, EVERYONE knows how to walk, more or less. Not everyone can handle a mountain bike, off road. Just sayin...

I hope this helps someone.

I agree! I felt so bad for the novice bikers on the Camino. One word: MUD! If the bikers were not in superhero biker outfits (aka knew what they were doing and where they were riding), they were usually pushing their bikes. In other words, riding is not the easy way. Best of luck to you two!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
My friend and I hired bikes from Leon Bikes and so far have riden to El Fabio, we did very little research as that's the kind of gals we are (we are Aussies and not young) we have travelled the exact path, through rubble and gravel for a few days before becoming impossible (with 8 kilo's of Paniers) then hit some roads. We climbed and climbed up to Le Fabo and decided it is just too hard, so now we are waiting for our bikes to be taken to the top of O'cebereiro and we will walk and pick them up. I don't recommend what we have done to anyone, it is too difficult for the average rider. Maybe bike shop should have told us.
Looks like you missed the turn off around Herritas? There is a sign indicating walkers left, bikes to the right! That La Fabio is definitely not for bike! I covered this in more than a few of my posts. Still you just chalk it up to adventure!

Hey Patricia. Thanks for the heads up about the mud. Congratulations for getting through it! How is it all going now? I am trying to work out whether I will hike or cycle the Camino this year. Would you mind if I asked how long you have hired your bikes for and the total cost? I looked at hiring a bike for a month and it's going to cost about 800 Australian dollars, which is crazy. Does anyone know if second hand bikes are being sold along the way and the rough price?

I wanted to hire a bike to protect my delicate knees but for nearly $1000 I just can't justify it. before I was keen to do the 800km in the month I have on the trail. Now I think I will just walk to what my knees can handle and bus through the industrial parts to prevent injury.

All the best Patricia and co, I'm sure it will get easier for you guys from here.
Best wishes,
RaRa

Hi RaRa

Not sure if you have completed your Camino. I cycled from Leon to Santiago from 14 to 18 Sept 2017. I can’t do the entire Camino Frances due to lack of leave days.

Hired my MTB from cyclingthecamino.com. Costs €250 for 8 days. Mistake - Don’t count 1st non-cycling day as part of rental period. They will deliver the day before the rental period starts. €250 including waterproof panniers, helmet and full assistance. I’m a very satisfied customer and definitely recommend Alberto.

I think cycling the whole Camino Frances takes 2 weeks. You wouldn’t need to pay for a month’s hire.

I’ve put up some snapshots of my cycle on Instagram with tips I hope will help future bicigrinos. Please search for theintrepidpilgrim in Instagram if you like to read it.

Buen Camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you canesvenatici for your reply. I've written a post about my time on the Camino too. :) I managed to borrow a bike off someone on couchsurfing!

I hope you had an awesome Camino :)

Thanks again and best wishes,
RaRa

Congratulations to you both on getting this far! I'm sorry that you're finding it harder than expected, but I wonder if you would have been offended had the bike shop personnel suggested that as women of a certain age you would not be able for the long haul. One thing you may not have considered is that a hired bike that has not been set up specifically for you is unlikely to be a perfect fit and may impede your progress. Just as a walker would not undertake the long trek in shoes she has not tried and tested, so a long-distance cyclist is taking a risk with a laden bike she has never ridden before. If you decide to persevere with the hired bikes you may be reassured to know that, while it's not all down hill from O'Cebreiro, the climbs become less demanding, and it should take only another 2 to 3 days to reach Santiago. Finally, you might do yourselves and other trail-walkers a favour by following the road from here on. Onward and downward!

Congratulations to you both on getting this far! I'm sorry that you're finding it harder than expected, but I wonder if you would have been offended had the bike shop personnel suggested that as women of a certain age you would not be able for the long haul. One thing you may not have considered is that a hired bike that has not been set up specifically for you is unlikely to be a perfect fit and may impede your progress. Just as a walker would not undertake the long trek in shoes she has not tried and tested, so a long-distance cyclist is taking a risk with a laden bike she has never ridden before. If you decide to persevere with the hired bikes you may be reassured to know that, while it's not all down hill from O'Cebreiro, the climbs become less demanding, and it should take only another 2 to 3 days to reach Santiago. Finally, you might do yourselves and other trail-walkers a favour by following the road from here on. Onward and downward!

I hope that the comment about 'women being a certain age' impeding their abilities to mountain bike ride is said in sarcasm. Age should not affect your abilities, as long as you stay in relatively good shape!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Cycling sounds like it would be easier. But the terrain is NOT smooth and paved. It is also hilly, muddy, and at times treacherous. I will not even delve into the competition for space with walking pilgrims. THAT is a different dynamic.

What I will say, as a three times walking pilgrim over that stretch of the Camino Frances is that at O'cebreiro, you have gotten through the worst the Camino has to offer. From there to Santiago, it is relatively much easier on bike, or on foot for that matter.

This said, the decision to use a bicycle is not to be taken lightly. In my view, and I have considered and researched it, this is something best left to dedicated "sprocket heads" who know what they are doing when riding cross country off road. I have have knee and ankle arthritis and even walking is painful some days. But I can manage ME alone, better than I can manage a bicycle, plus my achy breaky joints.

Casual pilgrims who think they will use a bicycle to make it easier to do are probably better suited to walking and using mochila transport services to move their rucksacks from one nightly accommodation to another.

Then again, this is my opinion. But, EVERYONE knows how to walk, more or less. Not everyone can handle a mountain bike, off road. Just sayin...

I hope this helps someone.

I completed the Camino recently, mainly on bike. I am fit, but I'm not a hardcore cyclist and I found it tougher than what I thought it would be. It was still a great experience. In terms of injuries, I have bad knees and cycling definitely took the pressure off my knees. It was a much better option for me than walking. I guess it all depends on what aggravates the injury.

I hope that the comment about 'women being a certain age' impeding their abilities to mountain bike ride is said in sarcasm. Age should not affect your abilities, as long as you stay in relatively good shape!

No, it's not said in sarcasm; I meant exactly what I wrote. I doubt that the OP would have appreciated being advised against making the attempt any more than you or I. As a woman in my 60s, I have become inured to the often patronising - aren't you wonderful! - and sometimes insulting - isn't it too much for you? - comments about an ageing woman's presumed inability to cycle long distances over difficult terrain. Congratulations, by the way, on completing your journey!

Last edited:
I'd like to learn from your trip. I'm looking to find maps all I get is digital

Eurovelo 3

https://goo.gl/maps/uwdYaKSUDkQ2

Couch surfing is great
Hey Patricia. Thanks for the heads up about the mud. Congratulations for getting through it! How is it all going now? I am trying to work out whether I will hike or cycle the Camino this year. Would you mind if I asked how long you have hired your bikes for and the total cost? I looked at hiring a bike for a month and it's going to cost about 800 Australian dollars, which is crazy. Does anyone know if second hand bikes are being sold along the way and the rough price?

I wanted to hire a bike to protect my delicate knees but for nearly $1000 I just can't justify it. before I was keen to do the 800km in the month I have on the trail. Now I think I will just walk to what my knees can handle and bus through the industrial parts to prevent injury.

All the best Patricia and co, I'm sure it will get easier for you guys from here.
Best wishes,
RaRa

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Best wishes,
RaRa

My friend and I have been doing the camino from Chiasso in Switzerland over the past couple of years in stages. We walked across Switzerland to Basel and from there cycled on a tandem bike to Le Puy (partly because I haven't cycled in 20 years and also because we felt it fitted with the camino spirit of sharing and cooperation). I have to say the rest of the way we're walking. The tandem is a road bike anyway so we couldn't go on the paths, which I missed, and we did plenty of pushing uphill although we cycled a lot of ups too. I'd say I lived for the fun downhill sections (which were also scary at times!) but really missed the sense of connection I get when walking through the woods and listening to nature.

I didn't get blisters on the bike but had a very sore behind, which was miserable, and of course you are using different leg muscles to when you walk. To give you an idea, we did 400-500kms in a week, so you wouldn't need a month to do 800km. We also met some lovely lovely people and our fair share of Camino Angels.

Attachments

• IMG_8868.JPG
    IMG_8868.JPG
    536.5 KB · Views: 1

Given that the OP was dated back in April, your advice about fitting of bikes no longer relevant to her, but may help others.
In relation to the Camino past La Faba, well having walked it in May/June this year it is, imho, TOTALLY unsuitable for all but fully set-up off road bikes. Yes cyclists are trying to have the complete Camino experience but there are places where the road less travelled is the better one? Cheers

Most read last week in this forum

I Willl start biking from SJPD on 9.may with Ebike. I have a list of bike friendly albergs is there somebody who have experience with charging batery in such alberg. Do i need afdition 220v...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back