• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bilbao or San Sebastian

Dave C.

Time of past OR future Camino
Francis (2016)
SJ to Santo Domingo (2017)
Santo Domingo to Fromista (2018)
SJPdP to Burgos (2019)
My daughter and I walk from SJPDP to Santiago this year. Now she is looking into a study abroad program from her University for the Spring of 2017. There are two programs she is interested in. One in Bilbao and one in San Sebastian. They are basically the same program. She loved northern Spain, but we have not been to either city. Any opinions, plus/minus to either one?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Two very different cities. One a summer play ground, the other a relatively important business center. I imagine both programmes are not as similar when you start looking into who teaches there, who attends, etc. For a semester I imaging bith would provide a wonderful experience.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Firstly, I would suggest to check the language of the programs. It might be that in one city lessons are given in Basque and in the other one in Castilian (aka Spanish). If that was the case and if she had preference for one of the languages (for teaching/learning purposes), that would be a plus to the city with the program on the language she prefers.

Otherwise, Bilbao (aka Bilbo) is inland (although the coast isn't far away), bigger and has a bit better connections by public transport (specially by air). San Sebastián (aka Donostia or, colloquially, Donosti) is coastal, smaller (the city itself roughly a bit more than half the population of Bilbao and the Metropolitan area roughly a bit less tan half the population of the Metropolitan area of Bilbao) and has good connections by public transport but not as good as Bilbao's one.

Firstly, I would suggest to check the language of the programs. It might be that in one city lessons are given in Basque and in the other one in Castilian (aka Spanish). If that was the case and if she had preference for one of the languages (for teaching/learning purposes), that would be a plus to the city with the program on the language she prefers.

Otherwise, Bilbao (aka Bilbo) is inland (although the coast isn't far away), bigger and has a bit better connections by public transport (specially by air). San Sebastián (aka Donostia or, colloquially, Donosti) is coastal, smaller (the city itself roughly a bit more than half the population of Bilbao and the Metropolitan area roughly a bit less tan half the population of the Metropolitan area of Bilbao) and has good connections by public transport but not as good as Bilbao's one.
If Bilboa is inland, how come they've got a port? I know they've got one, I've sailed into it with Brittany Ferries.

If Bilboa is inland, how come they've got a port? I know they've got one, I've sailed into it with Brittany Ferries.

There are inland ports. There's a port in Sevilla, for example. The port of Bilbao used to be inland on the Estuary of Bilbao (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estuary_of_Bilbao) but nowadays most of it is in the town of Zierbena (the town where Brittany Ferries docks nowadays).

Last edited by a moderator:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I’ve been to both cities, but only as a tourist so I really don’t know what it would be like to live there. If I were to choose, I would go to Bilbao. It felt like a very health conscious, athletic city. I was there during the month of October and every day, I saw tons of people running, cycling or strolling as families. It made a huge impression on me and I remember thinking that I’d love to live there. Oddly, although San Sebastian is smaller, it felt bigger to me.

I've been to San Sebastián a few times. The last was a couple of months ago after walking the Camino. Probably because of the friendliness of the Camino I found San Sebastián to be not very friendly and very expensive. But it is a lovely place and no doubt I had my judgement clouded.

My daughter and I walk from SJPDP to Santiago this year. Now she is looking into a study abroad program from her University for the Spring of 2017. There are two programs she is interested in. One in Bilbao and one in San Sebastian. They are basically the same program. She loved northern Spain, but we have not been to either city. Any opinions, plus/minus to either one?

Hi, Dave,
They are both lovely cities, but I vote for Bilbao. San Sebastián is beautiful, no doubt about it, but IMO Bilbao has more of a "real world" atmosphere -- less wealth (though Bilbao is plenty wealthy), fewer Michelin starred restaurants, and more affordable.

My son studied a year in Spain, so I'll just throw in some unsolicited information. His university had study abroad programs in Sevilla, Barcelona, and Madrid. I thought he would do better in a city with fewer tourists and fewer American students. So we researched around and found programs for foreign students in Oviedo, Santander, and Leon that looked rigorous, in places with fewer Americans, and they were all run by the Spanish universities. And the price of these two-semester programs was about 1500 euros. The price charged by his university for similar programs in Sevilla, Barcelona, and Madrid, was the US tuition price, which was, as you can imagine, WAY higher than 1500 euros. Though price was not our original motivator, it became clear that we would save many tens of thousands of dollars if he enrolled as an individual in one of these programs, so long as he could get transfer credit for it. So, before he left, he had a session with a University administrator who told him how the university evaluates transfer credit applications. The foreign university has to be on some list of approved international universities, and the student needs to bring as much information as possible back with him. So my son kept every sliver of paper, every course description, every notebook, every test, etc etc, and when he came home, he got a full year's credit for courses taken at the University of Oviedo.

What I learned through all of this is that American universities make a lot of money off of their study abroad students. My son's course in Oviedo was attended by students from a number of US universities (the University of Oregon and Canesius (?) in NY are two I remember). These students were paying US tuition and taking the identical courses my son was taking. I am sure there is some value added by the US universities for their students, but not much. And nothing at all when it comes to the educational content, since the students are all in the same classes.

I am sure that no one at her university will encourage your daughter to contemplate this alternative route, since they will be losing a big chunk of change, and they will probably issue all kinds of warnings about how there is no guarantee that transfer credit will be granted. But if you are not too risk averse, and if you have a plausible reason why it makes sense for her to study in a university in Spain other than the ones where her school has programs, there can be a huge savings and absolutely no loss in educational quality. Buen camino, Laurie

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Bilbao is going through quite a transformation right now and becoming very urban hip plus they have a big new rugby stadium. San Sebastian is stately and elegant and as some else mentioned more expensive to live in.

I have a friend whose daughter did a study abroad semester in Pamplona and it went well except she did run into language barriers. I wonder like Castilian if the program in San Sebastian could be in Basque, most of the local schools/colleges teach only in the provincial language as WE move forward towards "Independenzia"
At the age of 70, IMO if I was going to do a study abroad it would be in Barcelona or Seville.

I wonder like Castilian if the program in San Sebastian could be in Basque

The program could be in Basque in either Donosti or Bilbao or both of them or none of them.

Independenzia

Is there a typo or is that some Basque dialect? I saw it written as independentzia but I know spelling isn't uniform among Basque dialects so you might be using a different Basque dialect than the one I saw.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
They are both lovely cities, but I vote for Bilbao. San Sebastián is beautiful, no doubt about it, but IMO Bilbao has more of a "real world" atmosphere -- less wealth (though Bilbao is plenty wealthy), fewer Michelin starred restaurants, and more affordable.
I agree with peregrina2000. I only spent a few days as a tourist in both places but to get a feel for the country I would pick Bilbao. San Sebastián isn't so far away that it couldn't be visited once in awhile to take in its charms.

I, too, would pick Bilbao. I flew there before starting my Walk in San Sebastian, where I spent two days, and then a couple of days again in Bilbao to nurse my tendonitis. Although San Sebastian is smaller, it felt more spread out and less personal. That in itself does not make me an expert, but I loved Bilbao - both old and hip urban feelings, and festivals on the river. The people were very friendly.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Forgive me if already in a thread somewhere, but any search for the above brings up basically every post ever written! Did anyone get to see the premiere? Dying to know what it's like as the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back