• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bilbao - Oviedo options for 6 days nowish

Londoner

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2016
Camino Norte 2016
I'm flying into Bilbao this week, and out from Oviedo next week (because those are the best flight options)... what recommendations to you folk have for 6 days walking between those two points? Are the albergues still open this time of year? I'm not so fit... is there a less challenging section between those two places?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'm flying into Bilbao this week, and out from Oviedo next week (because those are the best flight options)... what recommendations to you folk have for 6 days walking between those two points? Are the albergues still open this time of year? I'm not so fit... is there a less challenging section between those two places?
this is so subjective, and difficult because I could easily spend more than one day each in Bilbao and Oviedo. on this website
http://www.gronze.com/camino-norte
you can look at each step, and the elevations you will climb on them. you can also see where you can stop if you want to walk a shorter distance than the step suggests.
most would say skip the step between Bilbao and Portugalete. Many say include Guermes (I am not one of them but may be the only one). I liked the portions that went along the beach but that is me. Even if albergues are closed there are some good, inexpensive pensions (who may give pilgrim discounts, and you can find good last-minute rates sometimes on booking websites or by contacting the place directly.
Buen Camino
:D this is my envy emoticon

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
in case you don't mind hotels, in Bilbao I stayed in the hotel bilbao jardines, in oviedo once at the Ayre and once at the Marriott, and past Llanes, in playa del barro, in the Hotel Kaype-Quintamar and like them all. In fact I like the Kaype-Quintamar enough that I stayed there and used public transport to get to starting points and back again for the next couple of steps.

Take a look at this site, it may help you decide: http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/los-caminos-de-santiago/del-norte/

I would suggest you walk from Bilbao to Santander, and if you are able to cover more ground than that aim for Santiallana del Mar, hang around this beautiful old town, and visit Altamira. Mind you the bit between Santander and Santillana is a bit off putting, but you could jump ot and make up those extra two days by walking from Santillana to San Vicente de la Barquera which is a nice walk and interesting early Gaudi architecture plus the old university.

It's easy from any of these places to get back to Santader (intercity bus a few times a day) and from Santander to Oviedo the bus take a little bit more than 2 hours.

Take a look at this site, it may help you decide: http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/los-caminos-de-santiago/del-norte/

I would suggest you walk from Bilbao to Santander, and if you are able to cover more ground than that aim for Santiallana del Mar, hang around this beautiful old town, and visit Altamira. Mind you the bit between Santander and Santillana is a bit off putting, but you could jump ot and make up those extra two days by walking from Santillana to San Vicente de la Barquera which is a nice walk and interesting early Gaudi architecture plus the old university.

It's easy from any of these places to get back to Santader (intercity bus a few times a day) and from Santander to Oviedo the bus take a little bit more than 2 hours.
I think the Gaudi architecture and the old university are in Comillas, a bit before San Vicente de la Barquera.

whichever sections you choose to walk (and I would use public transport to avoid the strenuous ones or areas not near water if I had fitness or time constraints), I would say spend a whole day (or day and a half) at least in Oviedo and Bilboa, and plan extra time in Comillas, Santillana del Mar, and if you like water try to walk the steps that are nearest to it, especially between Portugalete (or better yet La Arena) and Castro Urdiales, Colombres to Llanes, and Llanes to Ribadesella...and if possible visit the monastery at Valdedios enroute to Oviedo.

I said the "walk has interesting architecture", and the walk takes one throught Comillas.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back