• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bilbao to Biarritz

Elliott97

Time of past OR future Camino
August 30 - September 10
Hi folks, this will be my first time in Spain.

I am planning to walk from Bilbao to Biarritz, France. I have a rough layout of stops along the way but plan to hug the coast line as much as possible, stopping +/- 10 miles each day. I am using CalTopo for mapping/navigating my route.

What are peoples experiences with public/private land. My map shows a number of trails that cut up and over hillsides and take you off of the main byways and through roads but I want to be respectful as not to trespass unknowingly. Can anyone speak to this?

General tips/heads up are welcome, thank you!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
We did the same walk but in the opposite direction in Oct 2021. Although we followed the designated Camino for much of it, we did go off-trail for a few days to visit Loyola. We found a variety of hiking trails and rural paths that worked for us and the locals we met upon the way seemed untaxed by our presence. In fact, some were extremely helpful when we asked for help in locating the right path to follow. Just remember to have as little impact on their countryside as possible: follow a trail quietly, be kind to strangers, don’t harass the animals, and leave no trace.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
We did the same walk but in the opposite direction in Oct 2021. Although we followed the designated Camino for much of it, we did go off-trail for a few days to visit Loyola. We found a variety of hiking trails and rural paths that worked for us and the locals we met upon the way seemed untaxed by our presence. In fact, some were extremely helpful when we asked for help in locating the right path to follow. Just remember to have as little impact on their countryside as possible: follow a trail quietly, be kind to strangers, don’t harass the animals, and leave no trace.
Love this, thank you very much!

I walked the same route but in the opposite direction a few years back, sticking as close as possible to the coast. I found no problems with private land, as long as I followed the camino signs. Just remember, that when walking in towards Biarritz all signs with point towards Bilbao. So you need to frequently look behind you to ensure you are on the correct path. I walked the opposite way on another camino and got lost because I did not look behind often enough and thus could not find the markers. Fortunately a very kind shepherd corrected me.

The app Mapy.cz shows walking/hiking trails including the Camino, which is the dark blue line in this screenshot.

Screenshot_20220824-060810.png

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
If the weather is good and your pack not too heavy use Mapy.cz to follow GR121 coastal route from Pasai Donibane. Yes it is a steep climb and you need to be attentive.

Most read last week in this forum

As more people discover the Camino, the usual routes will become more crowded. Wanting a more spiritual/meditative pilgrimage, I have charted a more "rustic"/rural (anti-social?) route, but would...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.