• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bilbao to Lisbon

dc2

Hi

I just booked my flighst to fly from Dublin to Bilbao (19 May) and I plan to cycle the El Camino del Norte, Camino Primitivo and then down to Lisbon on the Camino Portugues and fly home from Lisbon. (6 June).

I'd really appreciate some advice on this. I'll throw out some at random.

1. I plan to use a mountain bike. I have toured off-road in Ireland on a full suss bike with a rack clamped onto the seat post and panniers attached. I'm a bit worried that the rack or seat post will suffer if the ground is very rough. Advice on this would be appreciated.

2. My time is limited to 17 days. I'm reasonably fit and comfortable with at least 100km per day off road normally. Do you think it is possible to do 100km per day on these routes. Are there any sections where it is will be very slow due to rough or steep ground. I also hope to stop over for a few days in some places so realistically I have about 14 days to do 1400km. Do you think this is possible?

3. I plan to travel light and I'd be interested to know what have others brought on such trips? I have an 850g tent I was planning to bring and a small stove. Will I need these?

4. What is the situation with accomodation on these routes? Is it plentiful? What is the typical cost for a bed and a meal?

5. What are the best maps to get for this trip and where can they be bought? I like lots of detail.

If there is any other important advice you think I need please let me know.
I have just decided on this trip in the past few days so I hope I dont seem too clueless. I have done no major research yet but your input would be really helpful.

Regards
Doug

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
1 - Do not use a carbon seatpost

2 - You could do it, but stopping for a couple of days in Lugo, Santiago, Porto, etc, you would have to do more than 100Ks a day and you have to make sure there is somewhere to stay. Trust me, on the il Primitivo, Tineo to Grande is only 60ks, but it killed me !!!

3 - Forget the tent and stove. You want to travel light, leave them at home

4 - Plentiful beds. You will pay 3 to 5 Euros a night between Oviedo and Porto. Food, 10 Euros in the smaller places, more in larger cities. I eat loads when I ride as I burn more off than walking

5 - I never use maps, I carry a GPS for both walking and riding. The trails are well marked, but from Santiago, you will need to follow the arrow backwards

I hope that little bit helps

Hi, dc2,

I am not a cyclist, so I can't comment on most of the questions you ask, but going backwards on the Camino to Lisbon might be a challenge. Two forum members here did it last year and here is their blog: http://www.travelblog.org/Bloggers/Me-Too/

They were walking, though, so I don't know if that makes things easier or harder.

I've walked all the places you will be riding, and I thnk both caminos are good for cyclists because a lot of the way is on minor roads anyway. For accommodations, you've got lots of online resources -- mundicamino, the eroski consumer revista site, and the confraternity of St. James online guides. You won't have any trouble, especially with the distances you can travel each day.

Hope you have a wonderful camino/caminho.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi dc2,

I will be following you with interest as I am thinking of biking the Norte (and possibly the Primitivo) this summer. I have walked 2 Caminos and so am still in the "thinking" stage as not sure if I want to the experience the Camino on a bike.

Hi Davroos,

Could you tell me more about biking the Norte and Primitivo?

1) Did you go it alone? How would it be for a woman to do this alone?

2) I have a Trek aluminum mountainbike with front suspension. Is that okay?

3) What type of tires would you suggest as I plan (I believe) on doing more road-riding than trail.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated!

Cheers,
LT

Hi.
From Santiago you will need to follow the blue arrows that head towards fatima and lisbon. these are not really that well marked and I found myself second guessing the route and going back to check the yellow markers to ensure I was still on the correct path.
The roads are quite narrow at some points and the cars drive like F1 Drivers. some of the trails where badly marked but that was three years ago.
I had a camino portueges map and followed it backwards to tui. on the border of spain and portugal.
Also, You will have a few big days in the mountains from bilboa to Santiago.
Tyres I used schwalbe Slicks and got away with it even off road, but something like schwalbe Marathon plus are a great tyre. I swear by schwalbe.

Most read last week in this forum

I Willl start biking from SJPD on 9.may with Ebike. I have a list of bike friendly albergs is there somebody who have experience with charging batery in such alberg. Do i need afdition 220v...
Plan to cycle between Burgos and Leon over three or four days. Are there any interesting detours between these two cities that would take up a 4th day?

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back