• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

bilbao to los arcos

simeon

Time of past OR future Camino
Lots done and more to do!
Hi,
I am hoping to do about 7 - 10 days from los arcos to burgos (picking up from where I left off some years ago) Flying into bilbao seems the best airport from dublin. does anyone have ideas or experience of this route?
Thnks
S

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Bus from downtown Bilbao to Logroño with www.autobuseslaunion.com and bus from Logroño to Los Arcos with www.laestellesa.com There's a local bus linking the airport with downtown Bilbao every 15 minutes.
I did this (in reverse) last month. It worked perfectly.

For your return journey, consider flying back from Madrid, as @whariwharangi suggests. There are direct buses from Burgos to both Bilbao and Madrid, but some of the Bilbao ones are very slow. It would be worth looking at both timetables (alsa.es for Burgos to Madrid) to see how they line up wth your flight times.

Buen Camino!

The main advantage of flying back from Madrid instead of from Bilbao is that (some) buses from Burgos to Madrid leave you at Madrid airport itself while buses from Burgos to Bilbao leave you in downtown Bilbao and you have to take the local bus to the airport. Although if you don't fly out terminal 4 in Madrid airport, you'll have to take a shuttle bus among terminals to go to your departure terminal so the hassle would be similar.

Alsa (www.alsa.es/en) makes both the route from Burgos to Madrid and the route from Burgos to Bilbao.

Flying from the UK, I have checked and double checked flights into Madrid v Bilbao against trains and buses, and until I reach Carrion de los Condes, Bilbao always comes out on top.

Admittedly, Bilbao suits me best to fly to and from as I get the best deal using my Avios/airmiles as it's only 8,000 per return trip. The aerobus into the central bus station runs every 20-30 minutes and takes around 25 minutes. It's a very small airport so it's all very easy to negotiate and find your way around.

My next stage of the Camino I will be walking Navarrete to (probably) Carrion de los Condes - and as long as I get the 17-something pm bus back to Burgos for the night, I shall stay there, explore and get an early afternoon bus (less than 2 hours) back to Bilbao in time for my early evening flight back to Heathrow.

My research shows me travel to Carrion de los Condes and before is best via Bilbao, but to Sahagun and after, then Madrid comes out best.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
To go from Carrión de los Condes to Madrid, you don't need to go via Burgos. You can take a bus from Carrión de los Condes to Palencia. Once in Palencia, take a high speed train (AVE, Alvia or AV City) to Madrid (Chamartín station). From Madrid Chamartín station to the terminal 4 of Madrid airport you can take a Cercanías (commuter) train. However, check locally the schedule from Carrión de los Condes to Palencia (especially if you are traveling on a weekend or a public holiday); If there wasn't a bus running on your travel date, look for a bus to Burgos or León with Alsa. Once in Burgos or León, you can take a bus (with Alsa too) or a train to Madrid.

P.S.: There are also buses from Palencia to downtown Madrid and a few to Madrid airport but they are much more slower than the high speed trains.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for all your replies. A happy weekend of planning lies ahead...... I realy enjoy the planning and looking forward part to my caminos!

Most read last week in this forum

I am 82 years old. I have walked all but 250k of the Camino Frances alone, carrying my pack and staying in communal aubergues in 2017 and 18 and loving it! I am now on a mission to walk the final...
Can someone please confirm that if you fly with Ryanair from SDC to Madrid, that you will arrive at the Madrid-Barajas International airport? Such a simple question, yet incredibly frustrating...
Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, I'm searching for any transportation ways to to get to sjpp from Biarritz. Would anyone let me know how to get to? I would like taking bus or train. Thank you.
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back