• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bilbao to Portugalete routes

nangiakki

Time of past OR future Camino
hopefully - Northern Route/Primitivo (2015)
Hi - I have looked around the forum and haven't found anything about this so hopefully y'all can help me.
I keep reading about how there are 3-4 different routes from Bilbao to Portugalete but they are all "Ugly". Can anyone tell me which one is the least ugly and how I find it?
Thanks!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
2 routes: a) is longer and hillier, the "official" route. The other is by the "river" or actually through e industrial zone, parralel to the metro, ugly, but flat and short.

2 routes: a) is longer and hillier, the "official" route. The other is by the "river" or actually through e industrial zone, parralel to the metro, ugly, but flat and short.
Thank you! So route A is longer and hillier but more scenic? Do you think it is worth the extra time? I really don't like the idea of walking through industrial zones - are there other areas like this on the Norte?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thank you! So route A is longer and hillier but more scenic? Do you think it is worth the extra time? I really don't like the idea of walking through industrial zones - are there other areas like this on the Norte?
Honestly, no idea. I walked the industrial zoane in the wee hours of the am vecause I could not wait out to get lut of the albergue and its drunks. It wa not pretty, and quote stupid of me, as in: there in way I would hve done it back home so why in Spain?!

This being said, I heard avout this route from someone who lives in bilbao and could not find a reason for the "real way" to go the other way.

Oh, did I say you can also take the metro to Portugalete? It's just a few stops.

I walked every step from Hendaye in France to Santiago de Compostela 2 years ago. I chosed the riverbank walk (eastside) from Bilbao to Portugalete. It was not a pleasant walk:eek:, so it is better to take the metro to Portugalete.

The 4-5 hours out of Santander might qualify, as would the stretch between Gijon and Aviles. I tell people that they only need walk it if they have a strong personal reason to walk every step; otherwise, the local train will take you for a few stops out of Santander, and there are buses to cover the Gijon-Aviles stretch. I have only taken the metro from Bilbao to Portugalete, but might be interested to do the east bank walk so that I could take the moving bridge at Portugalete.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
At the moving bridge you will have 2 choices to cross: The lower moving part and the higher footbridge. If you are afraid of heights, don't choose the footbridge.

Hi - I have looked around the forum and haven't found anything about this so hopefully y'all can help me.
I keep reading about how there are 3-4 different routes from Bilbao to Portugalete but they are all "Ugly". Can anyone tell me which one is the least ugly and how I find it?
Thanks!

The walk along the northern side of the river is the shortest route. You pass through Bilbao, a beautiful city, and go past the museum. It does get a bit industrial but it is a nice walk along the river. Then there is an interesting bridge where you can cross by air or sea^^. I have never taken the southern route. Try the Gronze.com guide or Eroski for more information.

Ultreya,
Joe

?..but might be interested to do the east bank walk so that I could take the moving bridge at Portugalete.
Or take the "offical route" or the metro, arrive in Portugalete, go doew the hill, jump on the bridge to cross it, and then comr back

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Why isn´t that one the "official route" ?

Ondo Ibili !
Well, I suppose we could say that there is no Camino per say since after all all routes will take you to Rome? Eroski doesn't mention the short cut, Gronze has it as an alternative, Editorial Buen Camino doesn't mention it. Rother does,have it as the main route. And if memory serves me right, it's not marked, or at least wasn't last fall when I walked it. Perhaps you would like to give us your definition of what constitutes the Camino route? If local organisations bother having meetings on route tracing, seems to me it must be for a reason.

Oh wait, Gronze clearly refers to it as the "camino oficial". Who a I to say otherwise?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I´m not the one who mentioned an "official route" you did. That´s why I asked. You are right those guides don´t mention it but the German one does. Regarding that it´s not marked I must say it is marked very well marked and it was marked last fall as well. Some forum members can confirm this as I have shown them the way or walked it with them as well as many other peregrinos have walked it as well.

I asked for the definition because I don´t think there is an "official route" for the Camino. As the Spanish song says - "Caminante no hay camino. El camino se hace al andar". It has changed over the centuries or even in less time. Just as an example the way into Markina Xemien has change 3 times all 3 are still marked , which one is the official I would say all 3 are.

I also found it very curious how you suggesttake the "official route" or the metro one extreme or the other no in between.

In any case thanks for the explanation. :)

Ondo Ibili !
I 'recommended' the official route or the metro is response to Pursonpolair's post where he or she "recommends" the ria to cross the river on the bridge. I was offering an alternative getting to portugalete and still taking a ride on the bridge. So no extremes here. Sorry.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Total extreme walking a very long way or using the metro but as you wish. Its my opinion please respect it as I respect yours. This is a forum where people come to share their opinions en experiences no need to get touchy. End of the comment by me.

Ondo Ibili !
No need to get touchy? Who questioned my used of the word "official" and demanded an explanation. As to extremes, again, I refer you to my statement: it was offering 2 alternatives to a third that had just been suggested. An alternative, therefor not repeating what Oursonpolair had said. You are hellbent on wanting me to say walk the ria, which is what she had already stated. Where is the logic in that?

Another waste of time today.

Thanks!

Nangiakki,

On this forum I responed to a thread about the route from Bilbao to Potrugalete. It was suggested to me to take the river route on the Northeast side of the river by the attendant at the Tourist Information Office. I started on that route (May 6th this year.) but after about 2-3 km I had to turn back and go by the Southwest river route. There was a big construction project going on then which resulted in the trail and the road "literally being cut in half" where I turned around. A local woman saw me go by and chased me down to tell me about the construction. This was not the only time the tourist info office got it wrong. I followed the markers, poorly laid out and a lot missing, through the industrial area to Sestao, where the markers totally dissapeared. I had to take a cab to the pension in Portugalete (about a half km) to get back on course.

If I had it to do over again, I would take the Camino Oficial through the hills.

Hope this helps.

WV

Most read last week in this forum

I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back