• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bilbao to Santander

JohnLloyd

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Francés (2018), Português (2019), Inglés (2022)
Hola!

I’ve completed the Frances in the last few weeks, followed by a stag do in San Sebastián and I’m now in Bilbao in contemplation of the next step.

There’s a Wednesday ferry from Santander to my hometown of Plymouth and I’m thinking of doing a slice of the Norte between the two.

I’d love to hear about that section of the route.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I did this section in May - some great sections. I would skip the walk out of Bilbao but definily do the fab day from Laredo to Guemes. And th next day by the coast to Soma to get the ferry across to Santander.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Bilbao to Santander is wonderful. Laredo is wonderful. And, you get to take to boats (which isn't cheating!) The walk out of Bilbao on the northern bank is fascinating, so I wouldn't advise getting the train to Portugalete. I love the transitions out of Camino cities. Plus the Vizcaya Bridge is amazing and loads of fun. I say do it!

Bilbao to Santander is wonderful. Laredo is wonderful. And, you get to take to boats (which isn't cheating!) The walk out of Bilbao on the northern bank is fascinating, so I wouldn't advise getting the train to Portugalete. I love the transitions out of Camino cities. Plus the Vizcaya Bridge is amazing and loads of fun. I say do it!
Is the Northern bank the one where the Guggenheim is?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
No the opposite bank. You can cross the bridge just opposite the G.

Last Thursday we left Pamplona having completed our walk on the Camino del Baztan. Bus to Bilbao , left luggage available there at the information office. Another bus to Toledo and ferry from there to Santona to meet up with our husbands. The ferry leaves from the far end of the beach but there is a bus to there from the bus station.
Two nights recovery in Santona then 24 hr ferry journey from Santander to U.K.
Time to gently return home.
I recommend the Spa on board, the Cap Finistere ferry, the Amma Japanese massage definitely helped cure my aching shoulders and neck.

Last edited:
If you are at Bilbao or plan to be, do not miss the Guggenheim Museum. I visited in August after my month volunteering at Santiago. It was wonderful, especially if you like modern art.

Plus, the city of Bilbao is as wonderful.

Hope this helps.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I’m just walking into Castro-Urdiales now (a new record distance day) and I think I’ll stay here overnight.

That leaves me a bit short of time to get to Santander for the Wednesday evening ferry to Plymouth, so I reckon I’ll get the bus closer to there tomorrow.

What are your recommendations for somewhere that’s reachable by bus from Castro-Urdiales, but also not too far from Santander?

If you are at Bilbao or plan to be, do not miss the Guggenheim Museum. I visited in August after my month volunteering at Santiago. It was wonderful, especially if you like modern art.

Plus, the city of Bilbao is as wonderful.

Hope this helps.
I luxuriated at the Guggenheim ALL DAY yesterday!

I’m just walking into Castro-Urdiales now (a new record distance day) and I think I’ll stay here overnight.

That leaves me a bit short of time to get to Santander for the Wednesday evening ferry to Plymouth, so I reckon I’ll get the bus closer to there tomorrow.

What are your recommendations for somewhere that’s reachable by bus from Castro-Urdiales, but also not too far from Santander?
Santona possibly or Toledo and ferry to Santona. We had (car )transport from there to Santander but there must be buses. Rome2rio might have the info.
Do you have a ferry booking?

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I’m on the 2115 out of Santander on Wednesday and I’d like to be in town by lunchtime or early afternoon.

I’ll check out Toledo and Santona!

Last edited:
There's also a ferry from Soma to Santander but I don't know anything about accommodation there.
In Santona there is an albergue in the centre of town. Restaurant, bars and shops a plenty.
Santander is a great place to spend time before ferry departure. Bus and train stations are close to the ferry port.

I had no issue with walking the stretch from Bilbao to Portugalete. I always find something of interest to see, even in industrial areas. And I walked most of that section with a young couple and had very nice conversation with them, which made the walking go faster and easier.
The Flying Ferry made that bit very worthwhile!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I think I’ll just get the bus to Santander from Castro Urdiales tomorrow.

I’m too far away to get to Santander for Wednesday evening and the bus options seem to get weird after here.

Thanks for the tips!

I think I’ll just get the bus to Santander from Castro Urdiales tomorrow.

I’m too far away to get to Santander for Wednesday evening and the bus options seem to get weird after here.

Thanks for the tips!
You are choosing well, I would say. Imagine being stuck mid route! I lived in Portugalete for some time, and picked up a lot of my Spanish there. Your posts are reminding me of that time... including the beach in Castro Urdiales. So yes, take the bus and then you can just have a relaxed day waiting for the ferry...back to your ‘normal’ life.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
An interesting read. I hope you enjoy Santander. The ferry home gives a great opportunity to re adjust. That said I arrived on Sunday night on the Cap Finistère and I am still in a post Camino fog.
Bon voyage.

Thankyou for sharing

Hola!

I’ve completed the Frances in the last few weeks, followed by a stag do in San Sebastián and I’m now in Bilbao in contemplation of the next step.

There’s a Wednesday ferry from Santander to my hometown of Plymouth and I’m thinking of doing a slice of the Norte between the two.

I’d love to hear about that section of the route.
Make sure to stop in Guemes with father Ernesto

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I loved the Guggenheim, but I preferred the outside more than "most" of the art inside, although the interior of the building is an awesome structure, as well.
Same here. We weren't attracted by the exhibition at the time, but we spent hours walking around.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Hi pilgrims , last year i had some spare days and i walked from Irun to Santander , so my plan for this year was to start in Bilbao and walk to Santiago in 24 days . It turned out that i can...
Hi, ive been training for my CDN in two weeks time and thought i'd get some UK coastline under my belt (Scarborough to Robin hoods Bay). I have to say i was just not prepared for the amount for...
hello We plan to walk from Irún to San Sebastián first day in Mid May and looking for feedback on how long it takes. Think we are up to it but will be our first day. Thanks for your thoughts and...
Please, am I mad to contemplate the following combo: Norte: Biarritz-Bayonne-Irun-Santander (via Bayonne to get my legs going) Santander - train to Leon San Salvador - Leon to Oviedo Primitivo -...
I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
What is the most beautiful seven day section on the Camino del Norte? I have a good friend who cannot come with me for the entire walk. She is only available for a week. I start from Irun. She...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.