• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bilbao to Santiago

Ui Goirmshleahaigh

Time of past OR future Camino
None.
Hi. I'm wondering what distance I should be training to walk if I was to do a section from Bilbao to Santiago in a 2 week period? Any suggestions would be most welcome. Thank you. Namaste ✌❤

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi @Ui Goirmshleahaigh, welcome to the forum!

It's hard to give a definitive answer to your question as it depends on your current level of fitness and the distance that you plan to walk each day. Lots of people have different views about training - with some (like me) doing little or no Camino-specific training, and others advocating a very focussed training regime. If you already do a bit of walking, keep doing what you're doing and gradually increase the frequency and distance of your walks. I don't think it's possible to totally prepare your body for the cumulative strain of walking every day, but regular walking at home is definitely the first step. (pun intended!) Your walks don't need to be in the mountains - especially as much of your time on the Norte will be spent on roads and paths. You can also gradually build up your distance while on the Camino, making your first few days part of your training.

Working on your core strength and flexibility (yoga, pilates etc.) is also a good idea, but I suspect that not many people do this.

There's a search function on this forum - you can find loads of helpful threads about training, shoes, socks, backpacks and pretty much everything else that you can think of!

Happy planning and Buen Camino.

Nuala

@Ui Goirmshleahaigh

I took almost two weeks to go from Irun to Bilbao.

Before I left, I could comfortably walk 10km on relatively level roads, and walk 15km with a rest along the way. I could only do about 6km going uphill before my hip and feet started really hurting. I did not train with a backpack.

Aside from Deba to Markina, I kept my stages below 20km, and often at 15km or so. I could average about 2km hour (including rest breaks).

I would recommend being in better condition than I. Do take every opportunity to walk - look at your daily schedule and see if you can slip in an extra km here or there. Do use your backpack, probably a month or so before you leave with the weight you will be carrying. Do go uphill and downhill. Lots. As much as you can possibly fit into your schedule. Especially in the month before you leave.

There is lots of training suggestions out there, but mostly, just make sure you walk a lot - it is doable and enjoyable at lower fitness levels, especially if you have time to sit and rest (and with 2 weeks, you will).

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You can just train as you go! I cannot recall any really long stretches with no accommodation from Bilbao onwards.

It would normally take at least 3 weeks to walk from Bilbao to Santiago, unless you plan on walking 50km+ per day! If you're relatively fit, you could probably get as far as Gijon/Oviedo in two weeks, but if you're not that fit and want to take a couple of rest days, you might aim for Llanes, which has better transport links than some of the other villages and towns on the Asturian coast. Here's a helpful site to give you an overview of distances: http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/los-caminos-de-santiago/del-norte/

I think Bilbao to Santiago in two weeks would be a bit ambitious. We walked the Norte this fall from Irun, in 40 days.. We met many pilgrims who had put on big mileage but had managed to burn themselves out well before reaching Santiago. Savour the journey. Take your time. Do it in stages over a few years if you are short of time. Your body will thank you, and memories will be more than of endurance.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I took 24 days from Bilbao to Santiago on an average 29 km per day. You would have to do 50 km on average; bearing in mind albergues are not so easily available on some parts, this might you might have to end up doing some stages around 60 km. On a nonstop basis. I think that is really quite ambitious, this Camino is quite demanding!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, ive been training for my CDN in two weeks time and thought i'd get some UK coastline under my belt (Scarborough to Robin hoods Bay). I have to say i was just not prepared for the amount for...
hello We plan to walk from Irún to San Sebastián first day in Mid May and looking for feedback on how long it takes. Think we are up to it but will be our first day. Thanks for your thoughts and...
Please, am I mad to contemplate the following combo: Norte: Biarritz-Bayonne-Irun-Santander (via Bayonne to get my legs going) Santander - train to Leon San Salvador - Leon to Oviedo Primitivo -...
I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
What is the most beautiful seven day section on the Camino del Norte? I have a good friend who cannot come with me for the entire walk. She is only available for a week. I start from Irun. She...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.