• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bilbao to SJPDP

Pilgy

Time of past OR future Camino
C. Francés April 06, C. Fisterre May 06, C. Frances Oct 17, C. Portuguese Oct 18, C. Inglese Nov 18
Hello all. Trying to get from Bilbao to SJPDP on Oct 5 October as quickly as possible.
Can get to Bayonne arriving at 1630 hours but then the last train leaves Bayonne at 1640. What is the likelihood of making it? What are my options????
Alternatively, if I land in Bilbao at 1745 on Oct 4 from Canada via Frankfurt, how likely is it I could get to the station to get a 2020 bus? Any thoughts welcome!
The dates I chose to fly seem to be short on trains and buses and I've searched quite extensively.

Jude

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I've always managed to get from the airport to the bus station in less than 2 hours (and actually be on a bus which leaves 2 hours after my flight arrival time).

It's a small airport, and if you're sitting in the front half of the plane it doesn't take long to get through. If you are lucky the shuttle bus (down on the right as you exit the terminal) will be waiting and the ride to the bus station takes 25-30 mins: it's the last stop. The buses run every half hour.

17.45 - 20.20, I would say you have every chance of being on that bus.

I've always managed to get from the airport to the bus station in less than 2 hours (and actually be on a bus which leaves 2 hours after my flight arrival time).

It's a small airport, and if you're sitting in the front half of the plane it doesn't take long to get through. If you are lucky the shuttle bus (down on the right as you exit the terminal) will be waiting and the ride to the bus station takes 25-30 mins: it's the last stop. The buses run every half hour.

17.45 - 20.20, I would say you have every chance of being on that bus.

Thanks Julia. I now see that there IS a later train from Bayonne to SJPDP on the day I wanted to get there so that would work after all. Might do that instead. Could spend morning in Bilbao exploring. Might be better than trying to make a 25 hour flight/travel journey from western canada in one day. Stopping in Bilbao has its advantages for resting up a little.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks Julia. I now see that there IS a later train from Bayonne to SJPDP on the day I wanted to get there so that would work after all. Might do that instead. Could spend morning in Bilbao exploring. Might be better than trying to make a 25 hour flight/travel journey from western canada in one day. Stopping in Bilbao has its advantages for resting up a little.
Bus from airport in bilbao frequent and quick, then bus booked on la union company at Bilbao bus station to pamplona. From pamplona bus to st jean pied de port ALSA company.
Could stay overnight in Bilbao recommend Begona for good sleep. Then travel to st jean on 5th.
Not many buses from pamplona to st jean so not possible to get there on 4th.

Oh, I not note my flight does not land until 1815 hours on October 4. Wondering if I might be wiser to just stay in Bilbao for the night, though have found an albergue in Bayonne that will pick me up off a bus that drive at 2300!!

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back