• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bilbao to SJPP

judyandbonnie

Hi,
Okay so I didn't look through every post but I did look at a lot. Can you answer this question, what is the easiest/best way to get form Bilbao to SJPP? We are travelling at the end of April 08.
Thanks,
Judy

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I'd go by bus from Bilbao to Pamplona, then another bus to Roncesvalles then a taxi:

Bilbao - Pamplona:

BILBAO - PAMPLONA

COACH:
Company: “La Burundesa”. Trip takes 2 hours.

The timetable from Bilbao to Pamplona is approximately:

Origen Salida Destino Llegada Tarifa Ruta

* BILBO/BILBAO 07:00 PAMPLONA/IRUÑA 09:20 12,45€
* BILBO/BILBAO 10:00 PAMPLONA/IRUÑA 12:00 12,45€
* BILBO/BILBAO 13:00 PAMPLONA/IRUÑA 15:00 12,45€
* BILBO/BILBAO 15:30 PAMPLONA/IRUÑA 17:30 12,45€
* BILBO/BILBAO 18:00 PAMPLONA/IRUÑA 20:00 12,45€
* BILBO/BILBAO 20:30 PAMPLONA/IRUÑA 22:30 12,45€

Departures: Garellano Station. The trip takes approximately 2 hours.
The connection between Bilbao airport and the bus station (in the city centre) can be made by taxi. Approximate price: 20 Euros. Or by bus: Price: 1.15 euro. Departs every half hour from the airport (arrivals area) and from the bus station. It takes approximately 25 minutes.

More information on: +34 948303505 or http://www.laburundesa.com or jochoa@laburundesa.com

There is a bus at 6pm every day from the bus station in Pamplona to Roncesvalles.

From Roncesvalles get a taxi accross to St Jean - taxi numbers in the CSJ guide or on the noticeboard of the hotel next to the Monastery.

See: http://www.csj.org.uk/planning.htm

Buen Camino

John

Hi, Judy,
Another option, which is likely a lot cheaper, would be to take a bus from Bilbao to Hendaye (looks like there are two daily, one at 7:30 a.m., one at 13:00) -- that's about two hours. Then from Hendaye to St. Jean, you can take a train (changing in Bayonne). That's another two hours. I'm not sure about how the connections between bus and train would work in terms of time. You can find Spanish bus schedules at http://www.movelia.es, and the French rail has a website that will give you schedules, etc in English. I believe their website is sncf.com.

The taxi from Roncesvalles to St. Jean is a little pricey, I can't remember exactly, but I believe it's above 70E.

Buen Camino. Laurie

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks Laurie, John and Sil..it seems flying to Bilbao was not the best idea. We are flying into Madrid before going to Bilbao. I see there are many posts on getting from there to SJPP. I'll look at that but I'd hate to miss the Guggenheim.
Judy

Hi Judy & Bonnie:
Re. getting from Roncesvalles to SJPP

Caroline Aphessetche is a delightful and effervescent Basque woman who runs the Express Burricot taxi (it's a travel van with lots of room for gear). We used her service in August to get from SJPP to Roncesvalles, but she will drive you the other way, or anywhere in the general area for about 10 euros per person. You can contact her by phone at 06-61-96-04-76 or book ahead by e-mail: apcaroline@hotmail.com

Getting to SJPP by train

If I were you, I would go from Bilbao to Bayonne by train or bus and then take the local train to SJPP, to preserve the excitement of arriving in Roncesvalles without having already seen it.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 82 years old. I have walked all but 250k of the Camino Frances alone, carrying my pack and staying in communal aubergues in 2017 and 18 and loving it! I am now on a mission to walk the final...
Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
Can someone please confirm that if you fly with Ryanair from SDC to Madrid, that you will arrive at the Madrid-Barajas International airport? Such a simple question, yet incredibly frustrating...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
Hi All, My girlfriend and I are planning to do the Camino Primitivo. I'll be honest here; I'm not entirely sure how far we'll get, but Caminoways says that the entire route can be done in 15...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back