• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bilbao to St Jean

Astrogirl

Hello fellow Pilgrims,

Unfortunately when i booked my tickets i really didn't do my research too well.. :( And booked my flight to Bilbao, thinking this was the best option... Now that i am older (by a few months) and wiser, i have realised the err of my ways...lol!

SO i am wondering how best to get to St Jean from Bilbao... Have caught wind that there is a bus to Hendaye and then train to St Jean... Would this be the quickest way?

Please help....

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Astrogirl,

That's exactly what I just did, and I don't consider it an error at all. Bilbao is the best place to adjust from jet lag, there's the Santiago cathedral where you can get your first sello, and of course, the Guggenheim Museum. It's also where I left my luggage before setting off for SJPP; wonderful staff at the Hotel Bilbao Jardines at the Casco Viejo.

That's right, you take the bus to Hendaye, then take the train to Bayonne and onwards to SJPP. In the Hendaye station you can buy the tickets for the 2 train journeys. A train journey is always better than a bus; you can take a walk along the aisles any time and there's the toilet available.

A couple of German ladies I met in the Bilbao Termibus took the same bus but went all the way to Biarritz; I left them in Hendaye. I was told later they had to transfer to another bus or take a taxi to Bayonne. I arrived in Bayonne much earlier than them. And they were almost late for the SJPP train.

From Santiago de Compostela back to Bilbao there's an overnight bus that leaves at 6 PM and arrives in Bilbao at 5:30 AM, although I strongly suggest you take the train.

Mark

Hi Mark,

Thanks for that wonderful advice. Bilbao sounds like a very nice place to rest our boddies after traveling by plane for almost 25hours..

We ar planning on making this epic journey in early May. Am thinking that an overnight stay in Bilbao then head to St Jean with a hopefull arrival at around 1630...
Providing weather is ok, do you think walking to Hunto from there will be too much for the day? No doubt we will be playing it by ear as well...

Thankyou fellow Pilgrims

Astrogirl

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Astrogirl, SJPDP - Honto: 5,2 km (approx 45"); recommend making reservations. Buen Camino, xm 8)

Most read last week in this forum

Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...
Hi All, I have booked a walking week away from home arriving in Porto on 9th May at 19.10 (all being well). My initial intention was travel to Vigo by train and walk to Santiago, returning to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back