• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bilbao to Viana by bus

cosan

Time of past OR future Camino
july 2016
Last year we ended our camino in Viana and wanted to pick up there this year.
Our flight lands in Bilbao at 16.25 on Tuesday may 2nd and we want to get a bus to Viana that night to commence the camino the following morning. is this realistic?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I don't see why not, but with some creativity.

Here is the current schedule from the (one?) company doing the route.
http://www.autobuseslaunion.com/PDF/Bilbao-Logrono.pdf

You would have to take the 8pm bus which would get you into Logrono 9:30 or10:00, too late to jump in a taxi and arrive in Viana before albergues close.

But... This gives you time to make it to central Bilbao, go enjoy a few tapas while stretching your legs and head to the bus station for the 8pm bus.

You could then take a taxi to Viana and stay in a pension or the beautiful hotel at the end of the main street in Viana . They would give you a room after 10pm.

You could also spend the night in a pension/hostal in Logrono, drop off your bags in the am at the albergue, or ask the hotel to hold them for you, bus or taxi to Viana in the morning and enjoy the short and easy walk from Viana to Logrono, just over 10km.

This is especially possible if you are not flying in on a transatlantic flight, which would be unusal into Bilbao, and if you did and then took an internal flight and then the bus, that will be your day to get over jetlag, napping on internal flight and bus ride.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thank you for helpful advice.
It is probably best to book into a pension in Logrono the night we arrive and start walking the next morning from there.
Looking forward to being back on camino.

You can only catch the 2000 bus from Bilbao to Logrono. That gets you to Logrono too late to catch the last 1900 bus from Logrono to Viana.

As pointed out, you could take a taxi from Logrono ... however, my recollection of Viana is everything closes early.

Shuttle bus from Bilbao Airport to Bilbao Termibus

Autobuses La Union y Burundesa from Bilbao Termibus to Logrono.
http://www.autobuseslaunion.com/es/consulta-horarios.asp

Estellesa bus from Logrono to Viana
http://www.laestellesa.com/es/compania

Bilbao Termibus
http://www.termibus.es/index.php?idi=en

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for helpful advice.
It is probably best to book into a pension in Logrono the night we arrive and start walking the next morning from there.
Looking forward to being back on camino.
But if you do you will miss passing by the home of the daughter of the lady who had been offering coffee to passers by for years and one of the prettiests stamps of the Frances (figs and something or other). Who remembers her name? Felicia?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
But if you do you will miss passing by the home of the daughter of the lady who had been offering coffee to passers by for years and one of the prettiests stamps of the Frances (figs and something or other). Who remembers her name? Felicia?[/

I really appreciate all the advice. How easy would it be to hail a taxi to avian na at 10pm and would it be expensive .?

I really appreciate all the advice. How easy would it be to hail a taxi to avian na at 10pm and would it be expensive .?
I'm sure their will be taxis at the bus station, if not all over the city. Logrono is Spain's wine capital after all ;0). 10 pm is the time people will be heading out of the house for dinner.

The issue will be finding an open hotel or pension in Viana. When you book, make sure you tell them you will be arriving at 10:30 or so. Pension San Pedro, at 40€ for a double, would be perfect.

Price is typically around 1€ per km, so to Viana around 10 €.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Does anyone know if there is a shared taxi service from Bilbao airport to Logrona? =Similar to the service we used last year run by Caroline to get from Biarritz to SJDPP

Not that I am aware of, but there are plenty of buses ;-) Buen Camino, SY

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Please don't get off the plane and rush rush rush off! Give Bilbao a chance, allow the Guggenheim to totally overwhelm you, visit the nearby Museo de Bellas Artes de Bilbao, do this properly(!) get your credencial stamped at the Cathedral de Santiago, worth every minute and Santiago will not fade away!

PS Viana? I am assuming that you paid your respects to Cesare Borgia, well maybe not, but he is there in Viana, marked by a stone in memorial - no he is not under it - at the entrance - of the Santa Maria Church.

Does anyone know if there is a shared taxi service from Bilbao airport to Logrona? =Similar to the service we used last year run by Caroline to get from Biarritz to SJDPP
I doubt it. This is not a common tourist ride. I can't imagine anyone offering sucha service.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.