• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bilbao?

Steven Light

Time of past OR future Camino
CF (May - July 2018)
Meseta (October 2019)
2023?
What's Bilbao like? Is it worth a side trip from the CF? I've heard great things about the museum... Thanks.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Go: try to see Bilbao before or after walk. Puppy is adorable, museum sits next to a river not to mention exhibits within, and city is quite nice.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I flew into Bilbao, spent a night and part of the next day there, visited the Guggenheim (the outside was more interesting than the inside), admired the scenic city, got a bus to Pamplona, and then made my way to start at SJPP. That was just right for me. Bilbao is a nice city to visit, but I wouldn't detour from the Camino.

I very much liked bilbao and took an extra day there. (also because I had a really sore neck.) it felt easy-going and friendly. I toured several museums (museo vasco, archaeological museum, diocesan museum), the cathedral, and strolled around some modern architecture (guggen, of course, but also an odd glassy bank, a few modernist houses, and palacio alhondiga).
it helps if you stay in one of the albergues or hostels in the centre. albergue claret enea was very nicely positioned, and very friendly.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I've heard great things about the museum...

I had also heard that the outside is more impressive than what is inside . . . . so I didn't go inside (mainly because the entrance fee is not cheap) . . . . apparently I didn't miss anything, as my camino buddies later told me, it was nothing special. I guess if there is an exhibition on at the time that you would be interested in seeing, then it would be worth it. I don't remember anything else about Bilbao that is worth a detour.
Jill

As always to each their own, but I loved Bilbao.
I enjoyed the museum inside and out and it was lovely at night. A beautiful spot to walk around.
Had a glass of wine at the outside cafe there and listened to some nice live music with the locals.
Great photo opps. Wouldn't miss it.
YMMV. ;)

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Fantastic pinxtos in the old town of Bilbao. Every time I visit Bilbao I make sure to do a bar crawl and gobble all these amazing things and eat myself silly! With several glasses of delicious Txacoli wine as well.

The Gugenheim is OK if you enjoy stuff like 'art is the spinach that transforms life' (jeff Koons).

The Zubizuri bridge is spectacular and beautiful. The exterior of the football stadium is mesmerising.

I like Bilbao a lot.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I used Bilbao as a de-compressing stage before getting home.
It´s vibrant, it´s colourful.
Had 5 days left and had a ticket on a fixed date to fly out out Bilbao, stayed in ther old part of the city, which I did not regret.
What a life, and what good grub !
I had spent the entire Camino not understanding evrything in Spanish and not being understood either, but here the city is updated every young person speaks multiple languages and, like I said the colours are great...
Don´t miss...

What's Bilbao like? Is it worth a side trip from the CF? I've heard great things about the museum... Thanks.
Hey Steven, my thoughts are a bit skewed. I agree with what most are telling you, go there before or after your Camino. You might enjoy it more. I was in total solitude for like 8 or 9 days on Camino Norte, when I arrived in Bilbao. After eating lunch across the river from the Guggenheim, the amount of people bustling around me got to be a bit overwhelming. I continued my Camino and walked on out of there.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I really enjoyed Bilbao, but I was walking the Norte, so it was a no brainer to spend a little extra time there. I was blown away by the exterior of the Guggenheim and got some awesome photos in the morning when the sun peered out right after raining, making the lighting stunning. I also chose to visit the interior of the museum and although impressed by a few artistic displays, I was overall slightly disappointed.

I think it is the luck of the draw as to whether there is a good exhibition on at the Guggenheim. The first time I visited there was one I loved, a large collection of exquisite haute couture. But nothing since then that has tempted me. My daughter - with a fine arts masters - would probably disagree.

Bilbao is beautiful but by bus, it is quite a few hours from Pamplona/Logrono/Burgos. Have flown in there twice then took the bus to both Burgos and Pamplona. If you get there, ignore that flowery dog, walk on down the road by the river and you will come to a floral elephant. No-one ever talks about that but it is there

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
<<Bilbao is beautiful but by bus, it is quite a few hours from Pamplona/Logrono/Burgos>>

Not much more than 2 hours from any of these cities. I've taken the bus to or from all. The train takes longer.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back