• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Billy Franks

Billi Franks

Time of past OR future Camino
Hello everyone. I am Billy Franks daughter, Billi Franks. My dad took part in the Camino walk this year from June to end of August. Sadly my dad passed away in September and I was wondering who he met along his travels that may have stories and pictures they would like to share? Thank you so much. My email is billifranks@gmail.com
Hello everyone. I am Billy Franks daughter, Billi Franks. My dad took part in the Camino walk this year from June to end of August. Sadly my dad passed away in September and I was wondering who he met along his travels that may have stories and pictures they would like to share? Thank you so much.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Welcome to the forum @Billi Franks, but so very sorry the cause is the loss of your father. My condolences to you. I did not meet your Dad and this forum is only a tiny fraction of people who walk the camino each year, but with luck one of our members will read your post and be able to help you.

Hello everyone. I am Billy Franks daughter, Billi Franks. My dad took part in the Camino walk this year from June to end of August. Sadly my dad passed away in September and I was wondering who he met along his travels that may have stories and pictures they would like to share? Thank you so much. My email is billifranks@gmail.com
Hi Billi and Welcome!

So sorry to hear of your father's death. Heartfelt sympathy to you and your family.

I did not walk the Camino with your father but suggest that you post a picture of him, preferably in his Camino gear, on this Forum. This may help to jog people's memories as they might not remember your father's name but could recall him from a photo.

Good luck with your search.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hi @Billi Franks and welcome to the forum. So sorry for your loss and I hope that you find someone who remembers walking with your Dad.

I agree with @Wokabaut_Meri that a photograph might help to jog someone's memory. Also, do you know where he began his walk, and the date that he started?

Depending on where you live, there might be a local pilgrim association that could help you with this. For example, if you are in the US, the American Pilgrims on the Camino organisation has a very active Facebook page.

Wishing you well with your search and at this difficult time.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
C Clearly had the same idea as me: perhaps walking in hos footsteps would interest you, bring a bit of closure and bring you even closer to him as you would share in this wonderful experience he had. If you reached out to this Forum I assume this was a happy and important time for him.

My mom was born in the North of Spain, and that is what beought me to the Camino the first time: walking in and around her place of birth amd where she grew up. Every step was meaningfull, and many encounters along the way gave me the impression they could not have happened just by chance.

In the mean time, I hope you are able to locate some of the people your father met along his Camino and offer you my condolences.

IMG_3003.JPG Hello everyone. Thank you so much for your very kind messages of support. My dad was a musician and travelled with his guitar. I know he often met different people along his journey and would often be playing music in the evenings with people he met.

I have posted a photo of him. Thanks again xx

I am planning to travel to the Camino with my sister and family next year to learn more of my dads experience. He was astounded at the beauty of it and the fantastic people he met xx

He looks so happy! I have never met him, but just looking at that huge smile - I wish I had. If sadness gets too much, remember that smile and that he did something he obviously loved very much just before his death!

Buen Camino and hugs, SY

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi. So sorry. I was a few weeks in front of your dad. I expected to see an old guy but your dad look so well and happy. Wish I'd met him.

Hi Billi, My name is Jo Guy from Australia and I met your dad on the walk. I crossed over the Pyrenees on June 22 this year and stayed at the albergue at Roncesvalles. Shortly after I get there two guys came and took the top and bottom bunk next to me and we started chatting. One was Billy and he was walking with his friend Russell. Billy was in his 60's, from England, was a musician and we chatted away on and off for the rest of the afternoon and evening. He told me he had a daughter but did not mention her name. I have looked at the photo you posted and Billy is definitely the man I was fortunate enough to meet. Billy was a lovely guy. He was very friendly, chatty and very easy to talk to and very interesting. As I was travelling by myself and did not know anyone I was very grateful for meeting such a wonderful person. I kept a diary each day and I wrote in my diary that I was glad to meet Billy and Russell as they were so nice and friendly to me, completely discarding any anxieties I had about doing the walk. I was up early the next morning and Billy was still asleep so I did not get to say goodbye to him, although I did tell Russell to say goodbye to Billy from me. I have often thought about Billy and wondered how he was getting on and I am very saddened to hear of his passing. Billi, your dad was a lovely person and you can be very proud of him. RIP Billy. I will never forget you,

I'm sorry to hear that you have lost your father. It's difficult at any age, but he looks so young and vibrant in the picture.

I would like to suggest that you edit your post and remove your email address. It's not a good idea to post it on a public forum . People who want to get in touch with you can send you a private message through this forum.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Billi
Thanks for posting the photograph of your Dad. He looks so delighted sitting down to a paella somewhere along the Camino. I'm sure that, as well as his name, you have inherited that smile.

There are many Friends of Camino organisations* around the world and it may be useful to contact them as well for any information about your Dad.

*FYI writing in blue is a link to the Confraternity of Saint James website.

So sorry for your loss, Billi. I hope that you will walk a camino as it will surely bring you closer to your father, sharing something that he loved.

I was on the VdlP in June, so did not meet him but hopefully, more pilgrims who shared the way with him will make contact. All the best. Carole

Hi Billi, My name is Jo Guy from Australia and I met your dad on the walk. I crossed over the Pyrenees on June 22 this year and stayed at the albergue at Roncesvalles. Shortly after I get there two guys came and took the top and bottom bunk next to me and we started chatting. One was Billy and he was walking with his friend Russell. Billy was in his 60's, from England, was a musician and we chatted away on and off for the rest of the afternoon and evening. He told me he had a daughter but did not mention her name. I have looked at the photo you posted and Billy is definitely the man I was fortunate enough to meet. Billy was a lovely guy. He was very friendly, chatty and very easy to talk to and very interesting. As I was travelling by myself and did not know anyone I was very grateful for meeting such a wonderful person. I kept a diary each day and I wrote in my diary that I was glad to meet Billy and Russell as they were so nice and friendly to me, completely discarding any anxieties I had about doing the walk. I was up early the next morning and Billy was still asleep so I did not get to say goodbye to him, although I did tell Russell to say goodbye to Billy from me. I have often thought about Billy and wondered how he was getting on and I am very saddened to hear of his passing. Billi, your dad was a lovely person and you can be very proud of him. RIP Billy. I will never forget you,
Hello Jo,

I know this is quite a few years from when you answered Billi's question about her Dad, but I just stumbled upon this page and it's great to read your recollections of Billy Franks. He was such a fantastic guy and could make friends anywhere (and did!). You'll be pleased to know there are two Facebook groups that share stories and memories of Billy ('Friends of Billy Franks' and 'Keeping the Faith, Brothers') and it would be great to have you there.

Also, there are a couple of videos that people took of Billy singing on the Camino. I'll share them here -

kind regards,
mick mccleery

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...