• PLEASE NOTE: Please think twice before you travel to Spain now. More here.

Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Create your own ad
Have a camino related project that you are interested in promoting on the forum? Create your own ad right now.
2021 Camino Guides
Most all Camino authors have decided to use 2020 guides for 2021, with free PDF files with updates coming in the spring. Get yours today.

Birthday card from 2019

biarritzdon

Veteran Member
Year of past OR future Camino
CF11, CF12, CP13, CF14, CA15, S.Anton15, CF&CI15
Ditch Pig16, CF&CP17, CdN18, CM18, CF18, LePuy19
I was sorting through some old papers yesterday and found this nostalgic birthday card my late sister created for my 73rd birthday. In June of 2019 I set out from Le Puy to Santiago and when I reached Hontanas I received a text message that my sister was in the ICU in Christ Hospital in Cincinnati. I rushed back to the US to find her in a coma and she died about a week later without speaking a word. I never envisioned that Camino might be my last and final Camino but during 2020 I have suffered from further deterioration to the nerves in my right foot and leg from neuropathy and my recent physical therapy is leading me to believe I will be walking with a cane or a walker in the months to come. I loved my Camino experiences over the past 10 years and pray I will get to return some day. bday card.jpg

Create your own ad
Have a camino related project that you are interested in promoting on the forum? Create your own ad right now.
Camino Masks
12 different designs, shipped world wide from Santiago.

nycwalking

Veteran Member
Ourense to Santiago (2019), CF: (2014, 2004, 2002, 2001). On to Fisterra, (2002, 4, 14).
I was sorting through some old papers yesterday and found this nostalgic birthday card my late sister created for my 73rd birthday. In June of 2019 I set out from Le Puy to Santiago and when I reached Hontanas I received a text message that my sister was in the ICU in Christ Hospital in Cincinnati. I rushed back to the US to find her in a coma and she died about a week later without speaking a word. I never envisioned that Camino might be my last and final Camino but during 2020 I have suffered from further deterioration to the nerves in my right foot and leg from neuropathy and my recent physical therapy is leading me to believe I will be walking with a cane or a walker in the months to come. I loved my Camino experiences over the past 10 years and pray I will get to return some day. View attachment 90950

What a lovely pic and expression of life’s vagaries.

Buen camino in whatever form that takes.

Vaya con Dios!

Camino Chrissy

Take one step forward...then keep on walking..
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Portuguese/FishermanTr. 2019
I never envisioned that Camino might be my last and final Camino but during 2020 I have suffered from further deterioration to the nerves in my right foot and leg from neuropathy and my recent physical therapy is leading me to believe I will be walking with a cane or a walker in the months to come. I loved my Camino experiences over the past 10 years and pray I will get to return some day.
So sorry to hear your neuropathy has taken a downward turn and recall when you first mentioned it. Maybe a cane will be for just "awhile" and your physical therapy will possibly bring improvement for the future. Most of us on this forum yearn for a next Camino and many of us are no longer young...you are not alone.

mspath

Veteran Member
Frances, autumn/winter; 2004, 2005-2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
Don,

I am so sorry to read of your recent difficulties.
Do keep on keeping on and be thankful for life, for love and for precious memory.
Margaret

"...and tho'
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield."
Ulysses,

Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Last edited:
Create your own ad
Holy Year Credential
Get the HOLY YEAR Camino Credential (Passport) here.
cycled from Pamplona Sep 2015;Frances, walked from St Jean May/June 2017. Plans to walk Porto 2020
Hola Don, I am in agreement with MS - your sad news about your sister (but at least in a way you could say goodbye). But the even sadder news about your own health, most upsetting. Hopefully it will be the cane, a walking frame is not fun. All the best. Cheers!!

walkingstu

Camino SJPP to SDC 2007 Frances
Camino Aragon Pau Fr. to Pamplona 2010
Camino Burgos to SDC 2012
Camino Porto to SDC 2015
Camino VDLP Seville to SDC March 2016
So sorry to hear of your sister's passing and your health challenge. If the hiking turns out not to be an option going forward, volunteering in an Alberque would still keep you on the Way.

Camino Chrissy

Take one step forward...then keep on walking..
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Portuguese/FishermanTr. 2019
So sorry to hear of your sister's passing and your health challenge. If the hiking turns out not to be an option going forward, volunteering in an Alberque would still keep you on the Way.
A great idea, maybe as a check-in person, or a volunteer in the Pilgrim office.

Mike Savage

So many friends to meet . . . so little time
Camino Francés,Inglés
Muxia/Finisterre
Português Coastal
Português Central
Sanabrés
Don,

What a great card and memento. I had to use a cane to walk for 5-6 years after an auto accident then I guess the nerves healed or grew back together. Since then I have walked many caminos. I hope you heal as well as I did. I sure didn't expect it and I sure thank God!

Mike

Silver Oxide Camino de Santiago pendent
Camino de Santiago pendant that has a shell on the front, and "Camino de Santiago" engraved on the back. Comes with a black cord. Pendent is slightly larger than a 50 euro cent coin, about 25mm.
Holy Year Credential
Get the HOLY YEAR Camino Credential (Passport) here.

Camino Conversations

Camino Conversations

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

Most downloaded Resources

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.7%
  • March

Votes: 59 4.3%
  • April

Votes: 206 15.1%
  • May