• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bit of help needed

Decci81

Time of past OR future Camino
Portugal
Hey there,it's my first time trying this but I did the walk from Sarria last year in early April with two friends and were planning to do a similar length in late April this year,unfortunately I get to do all the planning for stops/distance. We enjoy the 25/30km walk but enjoy a pint after,I was hoping someone could help me with where to start or destinations on way on the Portuguese way

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
If you want to only qualify for the the Compostela you can start in Valenca/Tui, two lovely small towns, separated by a river, the first in Portugal, the other in Spain. For that you are looking at 5 or 6 stages depending on how you chose to break off the distance.

There is also the Variante espititual which ads a daay but includes a boat ride.

I would recommend you buy the latest edition of Brierly's Guide to the Portuguese and take it from there. In the 2016 edition he does not talk about the Variante, but every albergue seems to have flyers about it. You decide to take it or not upon leaving Pontevedra.

And if you buy the book from the forum you will get a free credencial. Pay for an extra two for your friends and you're set.

Idem like Anemone says ! And walking into Santiago from the Portugues is so much nicer and greener than the walk from the Frances.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
If you want to only qualify for the the Compostela you can start in Valenca/Tui, two lovely small towns, separated by a river, the first in Portugal, the other in Spain. For that you are looking at 5 or 6 stages depending on how you chose to break off the distance.

There is also the Variante espititual which ads a daay but includes a boat ride.

I would recommend you buy the latest edition of Brierly's Guide to the Portuguese and take it from there. In the 2016 edition he does not talk about the Variante, but every albergue seems to have flyers about it. You decide to take it or not upon leaving Pontevedra.

And if you buy the book from the forum you will get a free credencial. Pay for an extra two for your friends and you're set.
Thanks very much for your reply and help I'll definitely do that

Hola - for a fraction of the cost you can download the guide published by the Confraternity of Saint James which includes the Variante Espiritual - it is available here in the resources section of the forum. You can print it or it works splendidly on mobile devices.
Sorry to be a torture but I'm struggling to get to that guide,would you have a link by any chance and thanks for your help

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
This discussion is on the wrong subforum. This subforum is about the caminho Português Interior which is a totaly different route through Portugal and Spain.
The CP Interior route goes from around Coimbra via Viseu and Lamego to Ourense in Spain and continues from there to Santiago.all at the eastern-inland part of Portugal.

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hey there,it's my first time trying this but I did the walk from Sarria last year in early April with two friends and were planning to do a similar length in late April this year,unfortunately I get to do all the planning for stops/distance. We enjoy the 25/30km walk but enjoy a pint after,I was hoping someone could help me with where to start or destinations on way on the Portuguese way
Porto / Matosinhos is a good starting point - might take about 10-12 days to get there at that distance per day route, and it's wonderful.
The variante espiritual is a really wonderful part of it. And for me, the boat ride from Vilanova to Padron was not something to avoid but was one of the highlights - according to folks at the Vilanova hostal, you skip a very long stage of walking alongside the highway. We learned about the mussel industry, saw dolphins playing and jumping in the ria, and you pass (in our case, wonderfully, through a morning mist) 39 crosses erected in honor of St. James' passage along that same route.

This discussion is on the wrong subforum. This subforum is about the caminho Português Interior which is a totaly different route through Portugal and Spain.
The CP Interior route goes from around Coimbra via Viseu and Lamego to Ourense in Spain and continues from there to Santiago.all at the eastern-inland part of Portugal.
With flights and work commitments we will probably fly in and out of Santiago on a Saturday and get the quickest way to our start point,it was sarria last year and I was able to handily enough work out distances and towns to stop in but I'm not finding it as easy this time

With flights and work commitments we will probably fly in and out of Santiago on a Saturday and get the quickest way to our start point,it was sarria last year and I was able to handily enough work out distances and towns to stop in but I'm not finding it as easy this time
There is a direct busconnection from Santiago to Vigo and Porto every day.
From Vigo you could take the train to Tui or Valença do Minho.
If I were you I should start in Valença to experience a bit of Portugal.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Don't know where you fly from but Porto in Portugal is a good connection from many airports in Europe and easy to get from there to the north of Portugal by train or bus.

Don't know where you fly from but Porto in Portugal is a good connection from many airports in Europe and easy to get from there to the north of Portugal by train or bus.
It's Dublin but the flights to Santiago work out the same distance as Porto I think,so I'm thinking taxi straight out of there to our our start point,not very Camino but we'll taxi to it I'd say,realistically I have one week and I'm trying to get the guys the best Camino I can

Most read last week in this forum

A piece from La Voz de Galicia commenting on the remarkable growth in numbers walking the Camino Portugues and especially the Coastal variant. The president of the local Amigos association...
Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Greetings fellow pilgrims! I'm planning our journey from Porto to Vigo, beginning on Senda Litoral and eventually merging into the coastal route. Does anyone have recommendations a good place to...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back