• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

bivvies and l/wt tents

malingerer

samarkand
Time of past OR future Camino
cf (2), de la plata, cp. (2003 -2018)
hi folks! any opinions on bivvy versus l/wt tent for odd nites out on del norte and primitive? many thanks.

the malingerer!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I took a DD tarp tent on the Salvador in case I got caught out. Just a 3m square of tent fabric with peg loops and suspension loops sewn in so you can pitch in a variety of ways. I used the 2 walking pole method from here:

Fine in dry weather but I'd imagine unpleasant in wet weather. I carried one of those insulated picnic blankets for the ground sheet. It has a waterproof layer on the bottom but a fleece layer on top so I could get away without a sleep mat.

There was a reasonable bit of condensation in the morning even though the front was open. It also collapsed in the night when I rolled over in my sleep and hit one of the poles.

Pluses, cheap and very lightweight. Negatives, pretty large footprint, condensation, don't know I'd want to be in heavy rain in one.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
thanks for that! my light weight tent happens to be an Akto which comes in at 1.7 kilo ! its a fortress but heavy by modern standards. next brainwave is a tarp! at 76 with deteriorating lungs methinks im pushing me luck! ah hell, im gonna buy a hair shirt and be a proper pilgrim! tarp plus bivvy (rab/terra nova) might be a sensible compromise. All good clean fun!

yours in malingeration!

A (full length) Rohan poncho/cape has poppers so that it opens out into a bivvy/tarp tent. You can tie it up or use walking poles as support. It might be wise to check that the latest versions continue to do this.

That's a great question! I have this amazing tent that I was able to procure for very little money. But I am still undecided whether or not to bother with it.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
That's a great question! I have this amazing tent that I was able to procure for very little money. But I am still undecided whether or not to bother with it.

the joke is that I was so demented when doing a bit of the vdlp I hid a terra nova behind the wardrobe of my room in a small hostal in Hinosa del Duque! that was 2 years ago and I haven't been back as close friend died of cancer last year and I promised to not go a wandering till i had seen him under the clay as we say in Ireland! Life goes on and ive booked flite toBordeaux in Sep. got new books on the del norte which hints at tents coming into their own and now dithering over the primitivo, the cdf or back to merida where I left off! have also after all these years found the buy and sell section! if I was half my age and twice as fit I would take the tent. I found some beautiful places coming up from Malaga and northern Portugal going back a few years.

yours in malingeration and a drop o procrastination too!

the joke is that I was so demented when doing a bit of the vdlp I hid a terra nova behind the wardrobe of my room in a small hostal in Hinosa del Duque! that was 2 years ago and I haven't been back as close friend died of cancer last year and I promised to not go a wandering till i had seen him under the clay as we say in Ireland! Life goes on and ive booked flite toBordeaux in Sep. got new books on the del norte which hints at tents coming into their own and now dithering over the primitivo, the cdf or back to merida where I left off! have also after all these years found the buy and sell section! if I was half my age and twice as fit I would take the tent. I found some beautiful places coming up from Malaga and northern Portugal going back a few years.

yours in malingeration and a drop o procrastination too!
I love your use of the word dithering. I am dithering over the Primativo as it will be close to or well into October by the time I arrive. I am planning on doing the Ruta Interior or the Tunnel Route as it is known to some to Granon. I have a posting there as a hostelera from September 1 to 15. Then walking to Santiago. I considered bussing from Leon to Oviedo to walk the PRimativo but it depends on the weather. Dithering, dithering... Tent or no tent... Oy! what high class problems I have.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I considered bussing from Leon to Oviedo

It is a spectacular bus ride. The Pyrenees are not mountains; in Asturias, those are mountains.:)

I love your use of the word dithering. I am dithering over the Primativo as it will be close to or well into October by the time I arrive. I am planning on doing the Ruta Interior or the Tunnel Route as it is known to some to Granon. I have a posting there as a hostelera from September 1 to 15. Then walking to Santiago. I considered bussing from Leon to Oviedo to walk the PRimativo but it depends on the weather. Dithering, dithering... Tent or no tent... Oy! what high class problems I have.
sent u a reply to ivar! sheesh! comes from gawping at hooped bivvies and other inventions of the devil! now got brierleys new book on cdf and ..an old desire has come back . I would like to wild camp near the monument to the fallen (civil war) and then bus on. the cdf keeps calling me back and why not? us celts were tootling along cheerfully long before pilgrims were invented! :)

yours in lunacy and dodderation!

sent u a reply to ivar! sheesh! comes from gawping at hooped bivvies and other inventions of the devil! now got brierleys new book on cdf and ..an old desire has come back . I would like to wild camp near the monument to the fallen (civil war) and then bus on. the cdf keeps calling me back and why not? us celts were tootling along cheerfully long before pilgrims were invented! :)

yours in lunacy and dodderation!
You're a riot! it would interesting to run into you out there. I mean so long as you were not a complete psychopath. When do you arrive in Spain?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
You're a riot! it would interesting to run into you out there. I mean so long as you were not a complete psychopath. When do you arrive in Spain?
arriving Bordeaux 2 sep. still not decided on which actual route im taking! may have to ask the horned toad for directions! almost at the point of buying hooped bivvy with the aim of ultimately doing the last chunk of the vdlp!
must go now as the swat team are abseiling past me windows.

yours in botheration

a very interesting idea! main snag is I hate ponchos etc and never had much luck with them! I always feel Im in a shroud and at 76 I have no intentions of giving the Almighty some bad ideas!
thanks all the same and I will pass the idea on!

yours aye whilst I peer into a demijohn and see if I can summon an ancestor!

the malingerer

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
arriving Bordeaux 2 sep. still not decided on which actual route im taking! may have to ask the horned toad for directions! almost at the point of buying hooped bivvy with the aim of ultimately doing the last chunk of the vdlp!
must go now as the swat team are abseiling past me windows.

yours in botheration
We'll I,ll be working as hospital era in Granon from 1 Sept until 15 September. Then walking. To Santiago.
Buen Camino

Several albergues on the norte already have tents set up in the yards. It is chilly at night right now.

Heading westward on the norte

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hey fellow Pilgrims, I will be heading off to do the Le puy route in about 2 weeks and arranging gear list, basically compiling basic list to see what have/need and tryna decide if to bring my tent (2kg) or to fork out for tarp shelter. I know there are gites available but fancy staying out under the stars some nights seen as it middle of summer. I have done a bit've of searching and really the only option i have come across is the Terra Nova "Adventure tarp 1" I should also mention that I wont be doing the full route, I am gona walk for approx 12-14 days (aiming for getting to conques/cahors, cant remember which is which even though looked a million times :) ) and then head to travel around europe a bit which is another reason why looking to bring tent/tarp with.
Would appreciate any thoughts/advice you could all give me in this regard. I have read through the comments but being from Ireland and the time scale the links posted not able to help. Another thought is, if it would be easier to just wait until i got to france and buy there???

MAny thanks in advance!!
Uinseann.

The Big sporting goods stores in Spain are very cheap, not so in France for same chain.

Heading westward on the norte

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hey fellow Pilgrims, I will be heading off to do the Le puy route in about 2 weeks and arranging gear list, basically compiling basic list to see what have/need and tryna decide if to bring my tent (2kg) or to fork out for tarp shelter. I know there are gites available but fancy staying out under the stars some nights seen as it middle of summer. I have done a bit've of searching and really the only option i have come across is the Terra Nova "Adventure tarp 1" I should also mention that I wont be doing the full route, I am gona walk for approx 12-14 days (aiming for getting to conques/cahors, cant remember which is which even though looked a million times :) ) and then head to travel around europe a bit which is another reason why looking to bring tent/tarp with.
Would appreciate any thoughts/advice you could all give me in this regard. I have read through the comments but being from Ireland and the time scale the links posted not able to help. Another thought is, if it would be easier to just wait until i got to france and buy there???

MAny thanks in advance!!
Uinseann.
greetings to all and this is becoming a very jnteresting site! still thinking of the rab ridge raider. can itbe bought in France/Spain?

the malingerer, who happens to hail from Derry! don't live there now tho! sob!

malingerer, an alternative to the hooped bivi is this
http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/tarps/GatewoodCape.html
Just wondering if you have ever actually used one of those and if so, did it do well in crap weather? I'm asking because I'm considering something like that. I've used a tarp for years as a guide but they can be difficult to put up in some conditions. And some environments are far too buggy or rainy.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
greetings to all and this is becoming a very jnteresting site! still thinking of the rab ridge raider. can itbe bought in France/Spain?

the malingerer, who happens to hail from Derry! don't live there now tho! sob!
I looked up that Rab Ridge Raider. It's heavier than my tent. I use a Nemo Obi 1 Elite. It's very spendy but I didn't pay full price for it. Thankfully.

Just wondering if you have ever actually used one of those and if so, did it do well in crap weather? I'm asking because I'm considering something like that. I've used a tarp for years as a guide but they can be difficult to put up in some conditions. And some environments are far too buggy or rainy.
dun it again! sent reply to ivar!
haven't used im afraid and shifting steadily back towards terra nova comp 1. nearly on the point of committing heresy and flogging my akto to pay for it!

5 numbers on the lottery and it will be 5* hotels all the way!

yours in the quagmire

the malingerer

I brought a tarp when I hiked the Camino. It doesn't get much lighter than a tarp, but there is a learning curve in setting them up at first. I've used mine through wicked rain and wind storms. If rain or wind is an issue, it's been set up wrong. =)

I started my walk in Le Puy in mid-August and made it all the way out to Muxia by mid-October and can count on one hand the number of times I actually set it up--and almost every one of those times was in Galicia. Most of the time when rain was threatening, I'd go into a gite/alburge. It's no fun camping in the rain and I didn't really have to with lodging readily available. I still needed a shower and a place to wash my clothes occasionally anyhow.

But long story short.... you might consider not bringing any shelter at all and if the weather looks unfavorable for any given night, get yourself into a gite/albergue/hotel/whatever to protect yourself from the elements. Later in the summer when it rarely rains is especially good for this sort of thing.

-- Ryan

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I brought a tarp when I hiked the Camino. It doesn't get much lighter than a tarp, but there is a learning curve in setting them up at first. I've used mine through wicked rain and wind storms. If rain or wind is an issue, it's been set up wrong. =)

I started my walk in Le Puy in mid-August and made it all the way out to Muxia by mid-October and can count on one hand the number of times I actually set it up--and almost every one of those times was in Galicia. Most of the time when rain was threatening, I'd go into a gite/alburge. It's no fun camping in the rain and I didn't really have to with lodging readily available. I still needed a shower and a place to wash my clothes occasionally anyhow.

But long story short.... you might consider not bringing any shelter at all and if the weather looks unfavorable for any given night, get yourself into a gite/albergue/hotel/whatever to protect yourself from the elements. Later in the summer when it rarely rains is especially good for this sort of thing.

-- Ryan

nice one! its what Im inclined to do anyway! its just that the Primitivo almost begs one to
do a bit of camping! at this rate I will be off my trolley by the time I fly out out sep 2nd! I think that my bottom line apprehension is my deteriorating lung condition with problems arising from condensation in single skinners and bivvies etc!
but ya gotta keep on truckin! :)

I've had it out in the field, but not slept in it yet. It isn't particularly robust and billows a bit in a medium breeze. The main pegging point at the back is quite flimsy, so I'm adding a couple on either side and I expect that to make a big difference to overall strength and tautness. The other issue is that the pitching pole has to be at an angle to give you sufficient width inside, so I'm adding another guy rope to get better tension. As a poncho/cape, I don't like the fact that the collar is fixed closed. This makes it difficult to get on when you are wearing a pack so I'm thinking of modifying this as well.

Extremely lightweight and sturdy tarps and tents can be found at www.zpacks.com -- Zpacks is located in Florida, USA, so not perhaps ideal for those here in Europe, but check out their products -- pretty amazing stuff.

I use a Vaude Power Tokee UL, a one-person tent and with my special stakes for hard ground the weight is 928g. Ventilation can be adjusted and so unless I'm in a very humid area I don't have any problems with condensation. It's a two-walled tent. The model (more or less the same) is now called the Lizard GUL 1P.

€60,-
many thanks for ur input but an more or less decided on terra nova laser comp. ive used it before n I might use it if I decide on the road to rome next year!

yours aye,

the malingerer

I took the plunge and invested in an American Mom and Pop shop out of Oregon called Six Moons Designs. They have a floorless tent called a WIld Oasis that comes in at 15 oz. It hasn't arrived yet but it weighs far less than my trusty White Lightning tarp at 29 oz. Anyway, I'll keep you posted.

I took the plunge and invested in an American Mom and Pop shop out of Oregon called Six Moons Designs. They have a floorless tent called a WIld Oasis that comes in at 15 oz. It hasn't arrived yet but it weighs far less than my trusty White Lightning tarp at 29 oz. Anyway, I'll keep you posted.
Hi there!
the nice thing about the terra nova is it can be used outer only with a footprint to make it "fast and lite". trouble is, I am neither!
I have never used a tarp and don't see its value on a campsite. for wild camping with shifting wind and weather patterns I need to be sure of what im using mainly for health reasons hence my dislike of single skinners and condensation. if weather forecast is good I just use mat and s/bag. as I write im waiting for a firm to contact me on price of terranova. looks like i will have to stop at granon and compare notes!

the malingerer aka the kit demon and other unprintable monikers!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hilarious posts Malingerer - wish I was going to bump into you on the VdlP this Sept!
No camping for me though - tooooo coldddddd.
Cheers, Grace
Greetings Your Grace!

if u r thinkin of bumpin into me in the middle of the nite, DONT! I have a nervous disposition and might mistake u for a bear with disastrous consquences!

genuflecting wildly,
the malingerer!

ps tents can be cosy!

Hi there!
the nice thing about the terra nova is it can be used outer only with a footprint to make it "fast and lite". trouble is, I am neither!
I have never used a tarp and don't see its value on a campsite. for wild camping with shifting wind and weather patterns I need to be sure of what im using mainly for health reasons hence my dislike of single skinners and condensation. if weather forecast is good I just use mat and s/bag. as I write im waiting for a firm to contact me on price of terranova. looks like i will have to stop at granon and compare notes!

the malingerer aka the kit demon and other unprintable monikers!
I look forward to meeting you Malingerer...

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.