• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bivvy bag or not?

Lynnhardy

Time of past OR future Camino
hello everyone,
What do people think of bringing a bivvy bag on Camino ? As a just incase it’s full at the albergue? Also for easing that anxiety/must get up at 5am feel to race to albergue. And enjoying the camino at one’s own pace. Plus as this year(April/may) is still unsettled as regards to all albergues opening and numbers going and covid numbers. Also money constraints so need municipal albergues and unable to book an expensive hostel. Has anyone slept outside an albergue with a bivvy bag? What do people think and do?
Thankyou Lynn

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Perhaps budget an emergency €20 for a taxi? The more emergency kit you carry, the greater the chance that you’ll need it IMHO.

Other than intentional campers and dog owners who really struggle for accommodation I’ve never come across anyone in six years of walking 2x per annum who couldn’t have solved their problem with a taxi.

Stand by for grim tales of sleeping in church doorways …

hello everyone,
What do people think of bringing a bivvy bag on Camino ? As a just incase it’s full at the albergue? Also for easing that anxiety/must get up at 5am feel to race to albergue. And enjoying the camino at one’s own pace. Plus as this year(April/may) is still unsettled as regards to all albergues opening and numbers going and covid numbers. Also money constraints so need municipal albergues and unable to book an expensive hostel. Has anyone slept outside an albergue with a bivvy bag? What do people think and do?
Thankyou Lynn
no need at all...knock yourself out, but I highly doubt you'll find yourself in a situation where you need it, fwiw.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Perhaps budget an emergency €20 for a taxi? The more emergency kit you carry, the greater the chance that you’ll need it IMHO.

Other than intentional campers and dog owners who really struggle for accommodation I’ve never come across anyone in six years of walking 2x per annum who couldn’t have solved their problem with a taxi.

Good advice on the taxi . The sleeping in church doorways actually sounds a good other solution!

I walked the Via de la Plata earlier this year and used a bivvy bag for five nights of my walk. That allowed me to divide up some of my days into stages I was comfortable with rather than ones dictated by awkwardly placed accommodation. I doubt that I would have done the same on the Camino Frances where accommodation is more plentiful and stages are routinely much shorter.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
It will depend on which Camino. Spain is known amongst geographers for something called the "Spanish Anomaly" Simply put, there are large areas of widely dispersed population south of the Tagus (the limit of the Moorish conquest) but much more dense in other parts. So a bivvy *may* come in useful on the Via de La Plata as @Bradypus has explained but elsewhere just get a taxi (hat tip @henrythedog)

But some use it as a preference rather than a necessity.

AND park benches :)

samarkand.

I have used a bivy bag but on less travelled routes. On the Frances, I would try to scrape an emergency fund for a taxi or a hostal in case you get caught out. And there are a few bottlenecks eg Zubiri were having a plan to arrive early or book an albergue may be wise.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I walked the Via de la Plata earlier this year and used a bivvy bag for five nights of my walk. That allowed me to divide up some of my days into stages I was comfortable with rather than ones dictated by awkwardly placed accommodation. I doubt that I would have done the same on the Camino Frances where accommodation is more plentiful and stages are routinely much shorter.
Thankyou I am doing the north coast camino. I did the via de la plata and can see the use of one on that camino.

Thankyou I am doing the north coast camino. I did the via de la plata and can see the use of one on that camino.
You will find any sort of camping more difficult on the del Norte. Fewer albergues have yards or grass for camping, and almost all of the trail passes through farmland or urban areas or villages. Spots do exist, but I'm not sure that I would suggest relying on finding one.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
This might be an alternative. I use a Travelproof Exped Ponch and sleeping bag when walking caminos. The bag is perfect for Spring - Autumn sleeping and I supplement with a lightweight down blanket in winter. It also functions as a blanket or poncho liner if it gets really cold. The poncho has pop studs and ties along the edges and also functions as a waterproof sleeping bag cover. I always like it when gear has multi functions! My setup is about 7 years old now and still going strong. Not sure if still available, nut you might find one on Fleabay! There is a demo on youtube:

A bivvy bag is useful on some of the Caminos in France, where hostel accommodation is often limited. Furthermore, French campsites now tend to be aimed at drivers rather than walkers, so are frequently more than a day's walk apart; even regular camping walkers may have the occasional problems. Fortunately, the hostel situation in France is gradually improving, even on the less popular Caminos.

I've done 3 Caminos and carried and emergency survival blanket with me on each but I have never used it. In saying that I will continue to take it with me as I may come across a situation where it is needed by someone else or by me. I have come close to sleeping under a church porch but haven't so far but I think a emergency blanket would keep me a but warmer than lying directly on top of cold stone.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I am a dedicated non-planner. Had no trouble finding a place to stay each night on the Frances three years ago, and anticipate none on the Portuguese in a week or so. However just to be prepared, this time I'm bringing an ultra light mattress and a bivvy bag. Weight is 561 grams, a very small penalty for the ability it gives me to adapt to the unexpected. I don't expect to have to use it, but good to know it's there.

hello everyone,
Thankyou Lynn

Bring a light foam mat and find shelter if needed :)

Compromise. Carry a lightweight sleeping bag and a inflating ground pad. You're going to carry the sleeping bag anyway and if carrying the ground pad gives you piece of mind that enables you to relax when you walk knowing you can crash on the ground somewhere, it's worth the extra bit of weight. I have actually seen pilgrims sleeping in covered areas outside of a church and outside of albergues. It does happen. I've personally never done the taxi about bit on the Camino.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
hello everyone,
Thankyou Lynn
Hello,
I've used a bivvy bag on all my Camino's; it gives one peace of mind; there's always somewhere I can tuck myself away, and albergues become a luxury you can enjoy whenever you come accross one, that simply falls into place for you.
Remember; show respect, and leave no trace..........it's nice to be close to nature.

I am proud to say that I once slept on a bench in a park on the Camino Frances. Or more accurately on a wooden table, in the plaza. In Arzua, on the Wednesday before St James Day, 2004, which was a Sunday (a Holy Year). I doubt there was a taxi to be had that day, too busy. The whole of Spain was walking those last 100km into Santiago.

But that is the one and only time I had no-where to stay.

Last edited:
I am proud to say that I once slept on a bench in a park on the Camino Frances. Or more accurately on a wooden table, in the plaza. In Arzua, on the Wednesday before before St James Day, 2004, which was a Sunday (a Holy Year). I doubt there was a taxi to be had that day, too busy. The whole of Spain was walking those last 100km into Santiago.

But that is the one and only time I had no-where to stay.

Yeah those are under the category: epic experiences

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Ok . Yes that’s what I’m thinking looking at albergues … some Hugh distances between or not enough time to see all the great sites without rushing…on the via de la plata. So would you say easy enough to to find a place to bivvy? I must admit I wild camp with a tent in uk but never bivvy…. So a new experience!

I am a dedicated non-planner. Had no trouble finding a place to stay each night on the Frances three years ago, and anticipate none on the Portuguese in a week or so. However just to be prepared, this time I'm bringing an ultra light mattress and a bivvy bag. Weight is 561 grams, a very small penalty for the ability it gives me to adapt to the unexpected. I don't expect to have to use it, but good to know it's there.
Yes that’s what I’m thinking after looking more closely at the small bed numbers available at some stops with large distances involved…. I do wild camp but with a tent … slightly concerned it might be a bit spooky!

Yes that’s what I’m thinking after looking more closely at the small bed numbers available at some stops with large distances involved…. I do wild camp but with a tent … slightly concerned it might be a bit spooky!
As I was just taking a bivvy bag .

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
hello I have seen a few people take a bivvy on the via de la plata camino and I’m thinking a good idea to take one? I’m getting worried when I study the route books at how many municipals are not open and how small many hostels are after long distances …. I think I would rather bivvy than book hostels because that completely changes it from a camino . What do pilgrims think?

We had only one pilgrim who slept out on the VdlP due to not getting a bed. Its extra weight on an already long Camino. Camping is not usually allowed in Spain except in specified locations.

Do your Camino your way.... but my experience was albergues vs hostels there was very little difference, if any. And even the occasional hotel enhances my experience by allowing me a private room with a private shower or bath to fully rest and relax before heading back out the next day. I still socialized with other pilgrims in the evenings most of the time in hotels and/or other private rooms. I didn't find a need for a bivy - but I was also on the Frances.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We had only one pilgrim who slept out on the VdlP due to not getting a bed. Its extra weight on an already long Camino. Camping is not usually allowed in Spain except in specified locations.
Do hostels allow pilgrims to sleep out on the floor somewhere if beds full?

There can be problems with the hostel's insurance - fire I think. I encountered this some years ago on the Norte. Pilgrims wanted to sleep on the kitchen/lounge floor. This was not allowed. However there was a wide verandah outside the building and people were allowed to sleep there.

It depends. Some albergues everyone sleeps on the floor on mats. Right now many albergues are limited in capacity by COVID. I don't remember when you are walking? That might play role. The VdlP isn't as heavily traveled as many others. Check with the locals and hospitaleros to help you.

I don't think accommodation is going to be a problem along the Norte, especially in April/May. It is extra weight you can do without and in the unlikely case of places being full, you could probably get a room in a pension for about the price of a taxi.

hello I have seen a few people take a bivvy on the via de la plata camino and I’m thinking a good idea to take one? I’m getting worried when I study the route books at how many municipals are not open and how small many hostels are after long distances …. I think I would rather bivvy than book hostels because that completely changes it from a camino . What do pilgrims think?
I've done caminos in albergues and caminos in hostales & hotels; the great difference is the absence of snorers, and the availability of a toilet in the small hours without disturbing others. Both felt like caminos to me, and the Cathedral's pilgrim office cheerfully gave me compostelas for both.

It depends. Some albergues everyone sleeps on the floor on mats. Right now many albergues are limited in capacity by COVID. I don't remember when you are walking? That might play role. The VdlP isn't as heavily traveled as many others. Check with the locals and hospitaleros to help you.
Thank you for your advice. I’m going on 21 st april .

I don't think accommodation is going to be a problem along the Norte, especially in April/May. It is extra weight you can do without and in the unlikely case of places being full, you could probably get a room in a pension for about the price of a taxi.
Thank you I have changed to do the via de la plata now as was worried about albergue closures on norte by VDLP same!

In our last newsletter we were advised that almost all the albergues staffed by Hosvol volunteers were planning to open the April. There are at least 3 on the VdlP. Castilloblanco, Salamanca, and Zamora. I think they are all open now. A lot of places do not open until April so you may be able to see more availability by next week?

Compromise. Carry a lightweight sleeping bag and a inflating ground pad. You're going to carry the sleeping bag anyway and if carrying the ground pad gives you piece of mind that enables you to relax when you walk knowing you can crash on the ground somewhere, it's worth the extra bit of weight. I have actually seen pilgrims sleeping in covered areas outside of a church and outside of albergues. It does happen. I've personally never done the taxi about bit on the Camino.
Yes maybe the mat will be more useful than the bivvy because just a bivvy would be too uncomfortable to sleep on the ground

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi everyone, I have not done a Camino and am just in the thinking planning stage - but, I sure have slept on the ground a lot - people think of bags, tents, hutchies, ponchos and god knows what - unless you get a blizzard or a cyclone - really? the thing that makes it or breaks it is - the mat. I like a quality self inflating insulation mat. It's a wonderful ground breaker. It can make the difference on a hard floor to a good night or not. It will save you on cold ground. I've slept on corrugated iron - NOT to be recommended - but, even there, an inflating mat would have saved the day. I'll do a Camino this year I think - I already walk 20 - 30 k a day easily. Good walking all. Pinto

Yes maybe the mat will be more useful than the bivvy because just a bivvy would be too uncomfortable to sleep on the ground
I just don't think you will need it really. I have seen many mats left in the "donation" bin. The only ones I know who use their mats a lot are the large groups of school kids traveling in sponsored groups who may be housed in a church or something. The other people who I've seen use a mat are those who plan to routinely "wild camp" which is not really allowed in Spain. Most of those people were "living" on the Camino.

I just don't think you will need it really. I have seen many mats left in the "donation" bin. The only ones I know who use their mats a lot are the large groups of school kids traveling in sponsored groups who may be housed in a church or something. The other people who I've seen use a mat are those who plan to routinely "wild camp" which is not really allowed in Spain. Most of those people were "living" on the Camino.
Thank you. I believe from what I can gather you can still sleep for one night along the way on the pilgrimage as it were , legally like the old pilgrims did .

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Thank you. I believe from what I can gather you can still sleep for one night along the way on the pilgrimage as it were , legally like the old pilgrims did .
The "legality" is a highly debated topic... but some people do it.

Agreed, but that’s a choice rather than emergency situation

Hi Lynn, this question or one very similar to it, comes up regularly, and I guess my view is re-informed each time!
But firstly.. I'd have a really close look at Gronze before deciding to switch from Norte to VdlP on the basis of albergue availability. Provided there's not another wave of COVID the Norte albergues should mostly be open by the time you walk. I think that any COVID safety issues affecting municipals' opening would be considered equally by those on the Norte and VdlP.

In terms of taking a bivy bag or a mat - much depends on your own preferences. Most people won't take either and will still end up finding a roof over their head every night, even if, possibly, once or twice it wasn't the option that they'd anticipated or hoped for.
If you do take one or both, how much sleep are you actually going to get? If you are not a sleeper-outer then probably not much difference to putting all your clothes on and sleep bag and resting for a few hours before starting very early, getting to the next place early and maybe catching up with sleep during the afternoon.
If on the other hand it makes little difference to you to add 600-700g and you can manage to sleep in a strange outdoor place, then go ahead and take a mat and/or bag for peace of mind.
I take extra kit as a matter of preference and don't resent arriving at Finisterre after 500 odd miles having carried an extra kilo of stuff I never used. I've slept in albergue gardens and campsites adjacent to albergues as a matter of choice in summer. And sometimes I've walked on late to the next town, knowing I have a Plan B in my pack (but actually always managing Plan A).
In terms of sleeping on albergue floors - I imagine it's harder to organise legitimately in these COVID times. But I recall municipal albergues on the Primitivo in particular that kept a stack of mattresses for extra pilgrims.
There's also a whole set of pilgrims, typically in their 20s, not represented on this forum at all, who, especially in summer aim to go from one 'free' albergue to another (i.e. using the donativo ones without making a donation) or else slipping into municipal albergues after the hospitalero has finished doing the stamps and has gone home.
Is any of this helping???

Hi Lynn, this question or one very similar to it, comes up regularly, and I guess my view is re-informed each time!
But firstly.. I'd have a really close look at Gronze before deciding to switch from Norte to VdlP on the basis of albergue availability. Provided there's not another wave of COVID the Norte albergues should mostly be open by the time you walk. I think that any COVID safety issues affecting municipals' opening would be considered equally by those on the Norte and VdlP.

In terms of taking a bivy bag or a mat - much depends on your own preferences. Most people won't take either and will still end up finding a roof over their head every night, even if, possibly, once or twice it wasn't the option that they'd anticipated or hoped for.
If you do take one or both, how much sleep are you actually going to get? If you are not a sleeper-outer then probably not much difference to putting all your clothes on and sleep bag and resting for a few hours before starting very early, getting to the next place early and maybe catching up with sleep during the afternoon.
If on the other hand it makes little difference to you to add 600-700g and you can manage to sleep in a strange outdoor place, then go ahead and take a mat and/or bag for peace of mind.
I take extra kit as a matter of preference and don't resent arriving at Finisterre after 500 odd miles having carried an extra kilo of stuff I never used. I've slept in albergue gardens and campsites adjacent to albergues as a matter of choice in summer. And sometimes I've walked on late to the next town, knowing I have a Plan B in my pack (but actually always managing Plan A).
In terms of sleeping on albergue floors - I imagine it's harder to organise legitimately in these COVID times. But I recall municipal albergues on the Primitivo in particular that kept a stack of mattresses for extra pilgrims.
There's also a whole set of pilgrims, typically in their 20s, not represented on this forum at all, who, especially in summer aim to go from one 'free' albergue to another (i.e. using the donativo ones without making a donation) or else slipping into municipal albergues after the hospitalero has finished doing the stamps and has gone home.
Is any of this helping???
Yes thank you perfect . I have an excellent idea now. Great information from experience too.

It depends. Some albergues everyone sleeps on the floor on mats.
That is what got me a case of bed bugs at the municipal albergue at O Castro. I was too heavy for the bunk beds so had to sleep on an air mattress in the corridor. Took 2 days to realise I had bed bugs. Then while treating said problem i managed to poison myself (with insecticide) and ended up in hospital in Santiago. :p Good times.

I would say to the OP. Either take a bivvy bag or go for a hammock and tarp. Both have pros and cons. For Norte, probably a Bivvy is better, especially if your strategy is to use churches as the primary camp spot.. For Frances or any route that is rural, a hammock might be a better bet.

That is what got me a case of bed bugs at the municipal albergue at O Castro. I was too heavy for the bunk beds so had to sleep on an air mattress in the corridor. Took 2 days to realise I had bed bugs. Then while treating said problem i managed to poison myself (with insecticide) and ended up in hospital in Santiago. :p Good times.
So sorry for you...yes, bedbugs crawl instead of hop or fly so if you are on the floor you are easier to get to if they are hiding in cracks. I try to select a bunk away from the wall. Top bunk if possible.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

I would say to the OP. Either take a bivvy bag or go for a hammock and tarp. Both have pros and cons. For Norte, probably a Bivvy is better, especially if your strategy is to use churches as the primary camp spot.. For Frances or any route that is rural, a hammock might be a better bet.
I think a few nights church porches with shelter and a mat and sleep bag quite a nice sleep!

I rather foolishly sprayed my body down with a bug spray after black bagging everything except my underwear. The poisoning occurred the next day, but had probably been simmering away for some time. When I got to the hospital I just said to the doctor I suspected I had organophosphate poisoning, but it turned out in the end to be an allergic reaction and poisoning from the bug spray.

As soon as I was informed that the main problem was allergic it was easy to treat with steroids, piriton and an epipen. I left hospital about 2 hours later. I was carrying a ton of meds on that Camino. Enough for 10 serious allergic reactions. I will be camping next time and everything will be sprayed with permethrin. Their won't be any repeats of the bed bug incident. ;)

Last month I walked the Camino Ebro from Ruimar to Zaragoza then the Camino Aragones. I always carry a bivvy bag (700g), cut down roll mat and 1season sleeping bag. On the Ebro I slept out 3 times as some albergues were closed. On the Aragones I had no need for the bivvy.
Carrying a bivvy gives you complete flexibility as to your stages and overnight options. It is not for everyone. My bivvy cost £36 and has paid for itself many times.
The plus is you get to watch stars, satellites and have a memorable experience. The downside is if it rains you are well and truly stuffed.
On balance if you can hack the extra weight a bivvy is indispensable and worth its weight in gold.
Don

A small tarp and some paracord doesn't weigh a lot. There will be places where you can bivvy and string the tarp over the top to give yourself some rain protection. You could even probably cobble something together using walking poles and a tarp, if you had to.

Joe and I have been forced to sleep outside on the VDLP. Luckily, it was warm and we just spread our sleeping bags out on a concrete patio. I have slept outside on the Camino Frances in albergue yards due to fragrances. I would say no to taking a bivy on the Camino Frances but yes on the VDLP, especially if you plan on camping. It could be quite useful. If you plan on staying in private lodgings or albergues most of the time, I can probably only think of two or three places you might use a bivy, but if you WANTED to sleep out, I can think of many places it could be used.

I did the CF in 2019 without any tent or bivy bag in my backpack but this year on the Primitivo I will have all with me I need to sleep outside. Why? Because it gives me more peace of mind and flexibility. I usually do long walking stretches so even when I start early I arrive later than the crowd and accommodation can be a problem. I remember one day walking way over 40 km as two places were not open for the season yet and the next was totally overcrowded.
So this time it will be some ultralight tent, mat and sleeping bag. Some albergues even have a plot of grass where you can camp if they are full.

@Bradypus What did your bivvy bag look like / weigh?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
@Bradypus What did your bivvy bag look like / weigh?
For this trip I took a cheap small hooped bivvy which is essentially a very small tent. A little over 600g. My first time using it and it proved to be a poor choice. Too much condensation. I decided that I would have been better bringing my well tried Alpkit Hunka XL (500g) which is just a simple but breathable sleeping bag cover with a drawstring closure.

hooped.jpg
hunka.jpg

For this trip I took a cheap small hooped bivvy which is essentially a very small tent. A little over 600g. My first time using it and it proved to be a poor choice. Too much condensation. I decided that I would have been better bringing my well tried Alpkit Hunka XL (500g) which is just a simple but breathable sleeping bag cover with a drawstring closure.

View attachment 129670
View attachment 129671
On my first Camino in 2006 I saw lots of pilgrims with one of those extremely light weight sleep mats. And their sleeping bags of course. Useful for floors when there were no beds. I love the idea of sleeping outside but i think these bones would prefer a bed.

Joe and I have been forced to sleep outside on the VDLP. Luckily, it was warm and we just spread our sleeping bags out on a concrete patio. I have slept outside on the Camino Frances in albergue yards due to fragrances. I would say no to taking a bivy on the Camino Frances but yes on the VDLP, especially if you plan on camping. It could be quite useful. If you plan on staying in private lodgings or albergues most of the time, I can probably only think of two or three places you might use a bivy, but if you WANTED to sleep out, I can think of many places it could be used.
Ooh the concrete sounds really hard.

Most read last week in this forum

After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading thru Aciberos. There...
My daughter just has a few weeks off so we flew to Portugal to visit my brother in Braga, then he drove us up to Puebla de Sanabria to walk the Camino Sanabres. Tomorrow we start walking, but I...
Greetings from sunny Cea. Are there any hostels between Cea and A Laxe? Hostel in Castro Dozon is closed
After Olleros de Tera at one point you will come to a crossing where there are two arrows. One pointing to the road and one pointing straight on into the greenery. If you have the Via de la Plata...
For anyone around Sevilla, next Saturday marks the end of the annual week long fiesta. I have just had a conversation, as I do weekly (to help her with English), with a friend who is from there...
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back