• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

BlaBlaCar

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
BlaBlaCar is just a platform where regular people connect to carpool.

It is a "Yeah" if you choose somebody with good reviews (reducing the risk of something going wrong - you are getting in a stranger's car!) and if you have a backup plan in case the other person cancels.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I signed up to Blablacar. I have used it twice. From Bilbao to Pamplona. I found a driver who offered a drive at a time that suited me, from a location that suited me, to a location that suited me. Each driver offers the number of spaces she or he decides on. I paid via paypal. There is no cash exchange. The driver received 80%, if I remember correctly. Blablacar retains the service charge. There is plenty of information on the website.

I signed up to Blablacar. I have used it twice. From Bilbao to Pamplona. I found a driver who offered a drive at a time that suited me, from a location that suited me, to a location that suited me. Each driver offers the number of spaces she or he decides on. I paid via paypal. There is no cash exchange. The driver received 80%, if I remember correctly. Blablacar retains the service charge. There is plenty of information on the website.
I used Bla Bla Car in Switzerland last summer from Annecy to Laussanne. Saved time and money. Super convenient. Two of us shared with another passenger. Didn’t realize Bla Bla was in Spain till today! We joke, “Where’s Uber!” if we are too tired or hurting but “Bla Bla!” is much more fun to say! Who knows, may even be a viable option!

Used it only once, and will certainly do it again if need be. Had to travel from Oviedo to SdC, about 300 km. The driver didn't really speak English, and my Spanish is even worse. I noticed him subtly checking out my facial expression when he went faster than the speed limit. When he felt reassured I didn't mind at all, he put the pedal to the metal and drove us to our destination in two and a half hours flat. Cheaper than bus or train, and a whole lot quicker! BlaBla also has a Ladies Only feature, if you're a little worried about getting in a stranger's car.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
also, you can ask questions before committing, and you can also read the profile and reviews of the driver. Reviews of you as a passenger are posted as well, both from other passengers and the drivers, so it is fairly well transparent.

We've used it once in France, and once in Spain, both times a good experience. Faster than other modes and a pleasant way to travel. You do need to start arranging for a ride several days in advance, and before that just to see how many drivers there are doing your route, and how close they come to where you are. For example, we were in Vilalba, Spain and the closest rides were thru Lugo, so we took bus to Lugo.

If you have tight connections, when you book a ride, pick one that shows lightning bolts. That means your ride is confirmed immediately. Once we booked a ride without lightning bolts, which meant the driver had 12 hours to respond. We were on a tight schedule, and had to know we had a ride immediately. We didn't hear back in 10 hours, so cancelled that booking and rebooked with a confirmed ride.

We've used it once in France, and once in Spain, both times a good experience. Faster than other modes and a pleasant way to travel. You do need to start arranging for a ride several days in advance, and before that just to see how many drivers there are doing your route, and how close they come to where you are. For example, we were in Vilalba, Spain and the closest rides were thru Lugo, so we took bus to Lugo.

If you have tight connections, when you book a ride, pick one that shows lightning bolts. That means your ride is confirmed immediately. Once we booked a ride without lightning bolts, which meant the driver had 12 hours to respond. We were on a tight schedule, and had to know we had a ride immediately. We didn't hear back in 10 hours, so cancelled that booking and rebooked with a confirmed ride.
I don't think you got THE BlaBlaCar system understood. It's a rideshare, not a Uber!

But of course it's faster, cheaper, nicer and more comfortable than the bus or plane.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I used BlaBla Car after my 2016 Camino to get from SdC to Madrid. It struck me as a ride share in reality, rather than the taxi system pretending to be a ride share that Uber is. In other words, the drivers are making the trip for their own purposes and bringing you along to help defray costs, rather than driving to earn money and making the trip because you are paying them to. Faster, cheaper and more comfortable than a plane, though, as KinkyOne says, I'm not sure.

I used BlaBla Car after my 2016 Camino to get from SdC to Madrid. It struck me as a ride share in reality, rather than the taxi system pretending to be a ride share that Uber is. In other words, the drivers are making the trip for their own purposes and bringing you along to help defray costs, rather than driving to earn money and making the trip because you are paying them to. Faster, cheaper and more comfortable than a plane, though, as KinkyOne says, I'm not sure.
Well, with BlaBlaCar you can always stop for a beer, Try that with bus, train or a plane and not brake your budget ;)

I use it occasionally, it is more a car share than an Uber clone, and so far have been very happy with it! Buen Camino, SY

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
BlaBla also has a Ladies Only feature, if you're a little worried about getting in a stranger's car.

I'm a man, and I'm worried about getting in a stranger's car. It's not that bad things regularly happen with BBC; I know it's very popular in France, and elsewhere. It's that there's no plan B if things should turn ugly.

When I was younger, I took risks accepting lifts from people I didn't know that in retrospect make me blanch. At this stage of my life, I just won't do it. The saving of a few euros isn't worth it to me.

I'm a man, and I'm worried about getting in a stranger's car. It's not that bad things regularly happen with BBC; I know it's very popular in France, and elsewhere. It's that there's no plan B if things should turn ugly.

When I was younger, I took risks accepting lifts from people I didn't know that in retrospect make me blanch. At this stage of my life, I just won't do it. The saving of a few euros isn't worth it to me.
The drivers and the passengers are reviewed and rated, so I don't see much of a security issue if you get someone who does it regularly and has good reviews.

Hi Aurigny. I used Blablacar because the bus timetable did not suit my arrival time in Bilbao. The price is incidental. Maybe sometime if you travel with someone else you could try it out...

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Great service in my opinion. Used it to beat the French train strike on a trip from Le Puy to Lyon after finishing the Geneva Camino this year.
All the registered drivers come with insurance courtesy of BBC as well in case of any mishaps.

Our daughter used it a fair bit while backpacking through Europe 2 years ago. She always forwarded us the info of the car she was getting a ride with. She was always was very happy with the way she was treated and how convenient it is. And yes, it is more a 'share my ride' than an Uber or taxi. We will be using it when in Europe next year...

Most read last week in this forum

Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...
Hi All, I have booked a walking week away from home arriving in Porto on 9th May at 19.10 (all being well). My initial intention was travel to Vigo by train and walk to Santiago, returning to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back