• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Black Diamond Z poles

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2016; Mansill de las Mulas to Finisterre/Muxia 2017; Aragones 2018; Suso/Yuso, Meseta 2019
currently walking with my new Z poles. Even after watching the video and reading the instructions I am having trouble getting the right one to snap into position. It is as if the part that you extend from the handle will not pull out quite far enough. If you have had a similar problem and can offer a possible solution I would love to hear from you. It is not a matter of brute strength. Meanwhile even shorter is is offering stability.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
There is a screw adjustment in the cord that joins the bottom and middle section. If you pull these sections as far apart as possible, you will expose this, and you can adjust it until the button clicks into place. Try small adjustments to lengthen the cord rather than big ones, and don't make the button too tight. It is easier to collapse the pole if there is a bit of space. On my wife's poles, I leave about a mm of clearance.

Last edited:
Doug is correct. With the poles apart, there is a collar with the blue (?) silicon connector in one of the sections. This is the tension adjuster for the snap-together system.

Adjust it by hand (no tools) one way or the other, A LITTLE AT A TIME, to achieve the tension you desire.

As you walk, slack can creep into the fit. It evinces itself by the poles making a very slight clicking noise at you walk along. This sound is most evident on hard, paved or solid stone surfaces.

Fix this condition by following the above advice on tightening the tension. But do so just a little bit at a time. Over-tension is as bad as under-tension.

Hope this helps too, in addition to Doug’s excellent advice.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
On a different note be aware that although the Z poles pass through USA security and Dublin security, even London folded in your backpack those security people in Santiago will not let them through and you will have to check them. I had covered my poles and put them on each side of the pack inside. At least they weren't lost or damaged being checked in only a plastic bag secured with duct tape.
I was surprised when changing planes in Dublin a woman walked on the plane carrying regular heavy poles. Go figure

When I got my first "Z-poles", a youtube video helps solve the challenge.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back