• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Blanket clarity

Creativeguy

Time of past OR future Camino
SJPP France to Santiago 2020
I’m planning to start in St Jean Pied de Port early May this year. Thus far, I’ve been told that: 1.) the albergues rarely have blankets, AND 2.) rarely did a person need a sleeping bag because the albergues now have blankets and sheets.

So, which is more accurate for the albergues on the Frances route?

Thank you!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Municipal albergues rarely have blankets and if they do they are allocated on priority basis as not enough for everyone. The private albergues often have extra blankets. Its May, It's Spain. Do you need one? I've walked early September and sleeping bag liner was suffice. Last year walked late September and slept inside same silk sleeping bag liner and added lightweight jungle blanket to my Kit which was well used and needed. If I walked in May, sleeping bag liner would be suffice and if occasional chilly spring night layer with clothes. Plus I'm suspicious of cleanliness of albergue blankets and carry my own travel pillow and anti-bedbug sheet 🤠

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Alberques are so varied that you will find pretty much all situations from a bare mattress to sheets and blanket.

When I walked the Frances a couple years ago, I would estimate that 2/3 of the time there was either a blanket on each bunk or some available in a closet - almost always those institutional wool ones. Most of the time there was some kind of matress cover on the beds, although in some alberques, the mattresses were completely bare. At some alberques (probably less than 1/4) paper sheets were provided. The only time I encountered a made bed with real sheets (top and bottom) and blankets at an alberque was in private rooms.

I'm starting from SJPdP around the same time you are and will only be bringing my sleeping bag liner (a Sea to Summit Cool Max Traveler w/Insect Guard, for what it's worth). Even a small "proper" sleeping bag is more than I want to carry in terms of weight and bulk, and for those chilly nights when I'm at an albuerge that doesn't supply sheets or blankets (or blankets I'd want to use) I plan on sleeping in the lightweight merino base layers + outerwear that I'll be carrying with me anyway, which can keep me warm into the 40 Fs.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I walked in April I took an 800g 5°C sleeping bag, although the out door night time temperature was between 0° and 8 ° C I was too hot in the sleeping bag because most albergues had the heating on at night. I think I got in it once and slept under it may be 5 times in a month. I don't think it was a waste of weight, even with it and a 600g power pack my bag was only 7kg.

I'm starting from SJPdP around the same time you are and will only be bringing my sleeping bag liner (a Sea to Summit Cool Max Traveler w/Insect Guard, for what it's worth). Even a small "proper" sleeping bag is more than I want to carry in terms of weight and bulk, and for those chilly nights when I'm at an albuerge that doesn't supply sheets or blankets (or blankets I'd want to use) I plan on sleeping in the lightweight merino base layers + outerwear that I'll be carrying with me anyway, which can keep me warm into the 40 Fs.

And a opened up Poncho as a blanket substitute helps also ;-)
BC SY

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Yes, which another reason is why I’ve gradually (begrudgingly?) come around to taking a poncho instead of a rain jacket. An opened up poncho makes a nice ground cover for a picnic as well.
Ahhhh. . the multi-tasking poncho. Aside from the great ventilated rain protection, these are a few of the ways I have used mine when backpacking. . . and a couple of ways I've used it on Camino, too. :)
  • A shelter lean-to. A bit of cord and trekking poles make it even more independent in setting up.
  • A sun shelter, it can be rigged up to provide you shade in hot climates.
  • Ground cloth: Under a tent, or a survival shelter, a poncho can protect you from the damp ground. If you are in a cold damp climate, this can help you stay warm.
  • Wind Break: While a poncho without a liner does not have much insulating qualities, you will be warmer if you wrap up in the poncho in windy weather, this will help protect you from wind chill.
  • Privacy -- great emergency privacy screen when needing to do some 'elimination' business and natural coverage of bushes or tall grass is scarce. It also works when needing to change pants or shorts.
  • Sit pad. When taking a break and sitting surfaces are damp.
  • Mattress cover.
  • Can make an emergency backpack or carryall.
  • Windshell to add a bit of extra warmth to layers when starting out on cool, early mornings when you need something that can be quickly removed after you have warmed up from walking.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks for the feedback! This is my first time. I am taking a sleeping bag liner good for roughly 25° F/ 4° C. I'm wandering, not scheduling unless I get to busy sections where it's more important (after Sarria). So I don't know what type of places will be available. Cheers!

Thanks for the feedback! This is my first time. I am taking a sleeping bag liner good for roughly 25° F/ 4° C. I'm wandering, not scheduling unless I get to busy sections where it's more important (after Sarria). So I don't know what type of places will be available. Cheers!
I can't imagine any albergues will be that cold in May!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
It seems that men tend to sleep hot and women tend to sleep cold. I ordered the warmest Sea to Summit sleeping bag liner, took one look and sent it back. I knew it wouldn't suffice for me. I sleep with a light duvet in summer in the UK.
I think it was you, @trecile, who posted a photo of your sleeping setup and that's what works for me, with the addition of the ever-wonderful sarong, which functions as a privacy screen at nights (I always have a bottom bunk, I even prefer that to a single bed in a dorm just for the privacy).

Here's my sleeping bag: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01CEVT922/?tag=casaivar-21
Here's the sleep sack I've converted to a mattress + pillow cover:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B071W5VHQJ/?tag=casaivar-21

All my 'sleep system' gets stuffed into a 5-10L drybag (everything treated with Permethrin, of course), the last thing to go into the rucksack in the AM.

I will admit that when you're jammed into one large room with twenty other pilgrims and no open window it can get hot and stuffy, so I will just stick my feet in the bottom of my sleeping bag and not cover entirely. I don't walk June - mid-September, More than just the dorm rooms would be too hot for me.

Last edited:
Take a sleeping bag.....self sufficiency is the way forward.

On arriving at Orisson in my first Camino in September 2017 I realised that a) the dorms were mixed and b) there was no bedding!!

A night under an itchy dog blanket made the sleeping bags offered for sale at Roncesvalles an absolute bargain whatever the price to quality ratio was......it saw me through the rest of my walk to Santiago so happy days were followed by happy nights.

Last edited:
Take a sleeping bag.....self sufficiency is the way forward.

On arriving at Orisson in my first Camino in September 2017 I realised that a) the dorms were mixed and b) there was no bedding!!

A night under an itchy dog blanket made the sleeping bags offered for sale at Roncesvalles an absolute bargain whatever the price to quality ratio was......it saw me through the rest of my walk to Santiago so happy days were followed by happy nights.

Nor any bedding at Roncesvalles, for that matter. Definitely not at the Burgos muni. I think blankets are made available at most private albergues, but seeing how they were being used by some of the other pilgrims and knowing that they were not cleaned after each use, I wouldn't touch one with a bargepole, except for the time when I refused to undress and shower in Villafranca.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
If walking in May, be aware that old stone buildings = specifically the donativo at Granon - can be really cold at night. I loved my experience at Granon and would do it again. However, I slept in everything everything I owned that night!
Oh, one more use for a poncho. I encountered a pilgrim descending from the Cruz de Ferro - ill and cold from fever or the beginning of hypothermia - and I suggested he put on his rain poncho to help conserve his body heat.

We walked in May and early June 2018 with only a silk liner. I was grateful for the blankets when they were available and shivered the night away 🥶🥶🥶when there were none. The majority of alberques had blankets. (in our experience).
Buen Camino

Just take a silk bag. In some albergues using a sleeping bag is even forbidden and this will probably occur more and more often.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Early May: better to take a light sleeping bag if you want to be warm enough at night. Even if there are blankets available I'm not sure if I would want to use them. I took a sea to summit silk liner early June and was a bit cold at night during the first week or two but I slept in my long sleeve top and lo g pants.

Not all the albergues have blankets and those who have them, let's just say they could wash them more often. Take a light sleeping bag.
BC SY
I agree completely. I found it comforting to know that when I went to bed I’d be snuggling into my own sleeping bag. Some of the blankets could definitely have used a good washing.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I’m planning to start in St Jean Pied de Port early May this year. Thus far, I’ve been told that: 1.) the albergues rarely have blankets, AND 2.) rarely did a person need a sleeping bag because the albergues now have blankets and sheets.

Thank you!
i took a sleeping bag liner when i walked May 2019, its light, doesn't weigh much and you can use to lay on top of any sheets, and place and covers “if needed” and supplied.. in May, June.. i never was in need of covers.. buen camino

Thank you!

Thank you!
I found albergue rooms very hot as majority of pilgrims have an aversion to open windows overnight.

Thank you!
Both. Don’t count on blankets.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Thank you!
I walked in June so it was warmer but I had just a silk sleep sac and didn't find I needed a blanket. I stayed in a mix of private hostels and cheaper hotels. Blankets were always available. I doubt you will need one in May though, except in SJPP itself and then you can choose a hostel with blankets. I stayed in a lovely place that had them available. LMK if you want a recommendation.

My daughter and I walked the Frances May 12 - June 13 last year. I had a very light sleeping bag and she had a liner. We stayed in a variety of albergues. There were almost always blankets available. There was only one occasion when my daughter wished she had a sleeping bag (the municipal at O Cebreiro). I initially I used my sleeping bag to avoid using the blankets provided. Based on the common instructions to fold up the blankets in the morning and put them back in the closet, I’m pretty sure they’re not getting washed very often. But after a couple weeks I valued the convenience of not rolling up my bag in the morning over any concerns of sanitation 😁My daughter liked the liner because it provided a barrier between her and the linens/blankets, but was easy to pack in the morning.

Municipal albergues rarely have blankets and if they do they are allocated on priority basis as not enough for everyone. The private albergues often have extra blankets. Its May, It's Spain. Do you need one? I've walked early September and sleeping bag liner was suffice. Last year walked late September and slept inside same silk sleeping bag liner and added lightweight jungle blanket to my Kit which was well used and needed. If I walked in May, sleeping bag liner would be suffice and if occasional chilly spring night layer with clothes. Plus I'm suspicious of cleanliness of albergue blankets and carry my own travel pillow and anti-bedbug sheet 🤠
The cost of cleaning blankets at public albergues is too high for frequent laundering. Like others have suggested bring a liner, light weight poli-fill blanket or sleeping bag. On cold night consider more expensive housing.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I use a Cocoon Silk Travel Sheet and am very pleased with it's ultra light weight. It is surprisingly warm and holding up well after about fifty nights of use. Used it on the Primitivo in Sept-October

Used to carry a light sleeping bag on my earlier Caminos during May but 2 years ago I switched to a Sea to Summit liner and haven't looked back. If I do get chilly at night, I just wear a fleece.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I've never heard of a liner that is good for a low temp of 25° F...news to me. 😊

This is just a wild guess, but I'm thinking it's mostly the men who get by with sleeping bag "liners only" when on the camino in the months of April or October.

What is a jungle blanket?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Just take a silk bag. In some albergues using a sleeping bag is even forbidden and this will probably occur more and more often.
That is quite a prediction. Which albergues forbid sleeping bags? I have used a silk liner often, and mostly gotten away with it. Mostly. But I will be taking a sleeping bag henceforth.

It is something like this:
Indeed it is, Snugpak that's the one I used. My only criticism is that it slides off the top bunk in middle of the night unless its wrapped around body. Its very versatile and one side is water proof so can be used as all important vino tinto blanket (next ill be asked what a vino tinto blanket is) and ill leave it too my learned friend @davebugg to answer 🤠

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Which albergues forbid sleeping bags?
The ones that @Gilles stayed in😉 but I'd be both shocked and surprised if this was accurate, maybe there's sleeping bag snobbery like on caravan parks older models are prohibited 🤠

Again, thanks for all the feedback. I going to travel with a Sea to Summit liner with thermolite. Very light and compact. Cheers!

Indeed it is, Snugpak that's the one I used. My only criticism is that it slides off the top bunk in middle of the night unless its wrapped around body. Its very versatile and one side is water proof so can be used as all important vino tinto blanket (next ill be asked what a cookie blankets is) and ill leave it too my learned friend @davebugg to answer 🤠
I have also faced this and has difficulty because it slides off the top bunk in middle of the night unless its wrapped around body.

€60,-
It seems that men tend to sleep hot and women tend to sleep cold. I ordered the warmest Sea to Summit sleeping bag liner, took one look and sent it back. I knew it wouldn't suffice for me. I sleep with a light duvet in summer in the UK.
I think it was you, @trecile, who posted a photo of your sleeping setup and that's what works for me, with the addition of the ever-wonderful sarong, which functions as a privacy screen at nights (I always have a bottom bunk, I even prefer that to a single bed in a dorm just for the privacy).

Here's my sleeping bag: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01CEVT922/?tag=casaivar-21
Here's the sleep sack I've converted to a mattress + pillow cover:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B071W5VHQJ/?tag=casaivar-21

All my 'sleep system' gets stuffed into a 5-10L drybag (everything treated with Permethrin, of course), the last thing to go into the rucksack in the AM.

I will admit that when you're jammed into one large room with twenty other pilgrims and no open window it can get hot and stuffy, so I will just stick my feet in the bottom of my sleeping bag and not cover entirely. I don't walk June - mid-September, More than just the dorm rooms would be too hot for me.
How did you always get a bottom bunk? I am in my late 60's and walked Sept 2019. I started to wing it for accommodation but soon realized that I had to book every day for the next night in order to get a bed - and even when I requested a bottom bunk, I seldom got one.

How did you always get a bottom bunk? I am in my late 60's and walked Sept 2019. I started to wing it for accommodation but soon realized that I had to book every day for the next night in order to get a bed - and even when I requested a bottom bunk, I seldom got one.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back