• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Blankets 2023

Dusty boots

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2023 God willing
Hi, New member here. Curious whether the hostels provide blankets, as a sleeping bag would increase my weight a lot. I am confused by conflicting information, so thanks in advance.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi, New member here. Curious whether the hostels provide blankets, as a sleeping bag would increase my weight a lot. I am confused by conflicting information, so thanks in advance.
Sleeping bags and liner's weigh next to nothing. Hostels are more likely to have bedding. Our sleeping bags are 24 ounces each and I honestly believe we bought them in an Aldi's.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
My memories are that approximately 50% of the albergues provided blankets the many times I have stayed in them, so I would not count on them being avilable everywhere. I also remember reading that during covid the blankets were removed and some people think that blankets are "bedbug hotels", although I do not know if either of these things are true. I normally walk in mid-April thru May and have never regretted bringing a lightweight sleeping bag.

Last edited:
Bring a sleeping bag. (Almost) all albergues will provide sheets and pillow slips, some will have blankets too, but never count on it. You don't say what time of year you're walking or where, but a 500g sleeping bag is well worth the trade off in weight and you'll be glad of it.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Usually flimsy disposable sheets and pillow cases.
Yes, most often the disposible flimsy sheets/pillowcases. If an albergue had "real" sheets it was only a bottom sheet, and they rarely seemed very clean...all "sheets" are not created equal. I preferred sleeping on the one-use disposable ones.

Bring a sleeping bag. (Almost) all albergues will provide sheets and pillow slips, some will have blankets too, but never count on it. You don't say what time of year you're walking or where, but a 500g sleeping bag is well worth the trade off in weight and you'll be glad of it.
Can you recommend a light weight sleeping bag?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Yes, most often the disposible flimsy sheets/pillowcases. If an albergue had "real" sheets it was only a bottom sheet, and they rarely seemed very clean...all "sheets" are not created equal. I preferred sleeping on the one-use disposable ones.
OK, not fair! Everywhere I have worked where we had bunkbeds we had bottom sheets that were washed every time someone slept on them!

OK, not fair! Everywhere I have worked where we had bunkbeds we had bottom sheets that were washed every time someone slept on them!
Well it's good to hear a good report! It was not my personal experience, but I commend you and those albergues that washed oodles of cotton sheets and dried them every day.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
You are more likely to find a blanket in the private albergues. I have found that even if it’s extremely hot in the day, it can really get cold at night even during the summer. I the hottist months you can probably get by with a lightweight bag—and if it happens to be real cold, add on rain paints, under layer, or both to hiking pants, if needed. In the colder months, if you think you need a warmer bag, try to find a lighteight warmer bag.

For sleeping bags on a budget try Snugpak their gear is not the lightest but pretty good. I use one of their lightest bags and cost/weight trade fof is fine for me.

My first Camino was Via de La Plata Seville to Salamanca starting end Sep. Managed fine using blankets supplied by albergues. Recommend bringing sleeping bag liner for hygiene. Did Salamanca to Santiago starting early April the following spring. Had a few very uncomfortable nights when ambient temperature and supplied blanket just didn’t cope. On the last night, no blanket provided - per hostel manager it was now summer (27th Apr). Am hoping to start from Granada on the Mozarbe in Feb. Will definitely bring either a lightweight blanket or sleeping bag this time.

The year I walked SJPdP - Santiago I walked in September. I only carried a sleeping bag liner (negligible weight) and only once needed/wanted a blanket on top of that. (luckily I was at an albergue that had them). Not all albergues had pillow cases, so I also used a cotton scarf that I carried as a "pillow protector", instead of a pillow case.

I love having my own sleeping bag. If you aren't sure about sheets being washed each time, for sure, the blankets aren't washed! Did stay in few albergues that have switched to real sheets and duvets with covers. What a treat! You were supposed to remove them in the morning to be washed.
It is cold at night and having my own cosy sleeping bag is a must for me. It isn't very heavy.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Can you recommend a light weight sleeping bag?
I have a Sea to Summit traveller down bag which also opens up to a blanket (425 grams). And a silk liner. Love both and can use in different combinations depending on the albergue conditions and blanket supply. The sleeping bag gives me peace of mind in that I don’t have to be checking out the heating or blanket situation in each albergue. One less thing to think about and plan.

I used a sleeping bag liner from Patagonia last year (september/october). There is no zipper, but it was easier to get in and out of than I expected it to be. I mostly stayed in private accommodations and a couple did not have proper bedding. I did need extra blankets in one location where my room could have doubled as a meat locker. https://www.patagonia.ca/product/sy...r_70095_color=STBL&cgid=luggage-sleeping-bags 335g/11.8 ounces

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I’ve done three caminos since the start of the pandemic. I brought a blanket the first time on the CF and definitely needed it. On the Camino Madrid and the CP I brought a blanket and never used it. Moving forward if I do another Camino I will definitely not be bringing a blanket unless I do the CF again.

I have always brought a lightweight sleeping bag in the spring and I have still had a few days where I wore my fleece to bed for added warmth or added a blanket if the albergue had them available; I like feeling cozy. On the few warm nights in late May, I would unzip a portion of my sleeping bag and let my leg hang out, which kept me cool enough.

In the winter I take a down bag from Montbell that weighs 16 ounces. In the hot part of the summer I take only a silk liner. In between winter and summer, I take my Army poncho liner that I can wrap up in or pin together like a sleeping bag. I've all these things or years so did not have to buy anything new. The newest thing is probably the silk liner.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I walked in May with only a sleeping bag liner treated with Permethrin to deter bugs. I slept in compression pants to help my legs get ready for the next day. Only once did I need a blanket and it was available. Honestly in the albergues with a lot of people’s body heat, even that night it was quite toasty after a few hours.

Conversely you can get very small packing sleeping backs. Don’t bring a big bulky one. It’s a waste and a bed bug magnet where they exist.

At Rabanal we washed 4 sheets a day but that was in times BCE (Before Covid Epidemic) - we explained that the sheets were to protect the mattresses from the pilgrims, not the other way around.

I love having my own sleeping bag. If you aren't sure about sheets being washed each time, for sure, the blankets aren't washed! Did stay in few albergues that have switched to real sheets and duvets with covers. What a treat! You were supposed to remove them in the morning to be washed.
It is cold at night and having my own cosy sleeping bag is a must for me. It isn't very heavy.

And sometimes I just want to sleep in my own bedding. A psychologist thing rather than BBC a practical thing.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I walked in May with only a sleeping bag liner treated with Permethrin to deter bugs. I slept in compression pants to help my legs get ready for the next day. Only once did I need a blanket and it was available. Honestly in the albergues with a lot of people’s body heat, even that night it was quite toasty after a few hours.

Conversely you can get very small packing sleeping backs. Don’t bring a big bulky one. It’s a waste and a bed bug magnet where they exist.
Do you spray with premethrin and how long do you do that before you go walk? How much do you already on, inside and outside the bag???

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Do you spray with premethrin and how long do you do that before you go walk? How much do you already on, inside and outside the bag???
I always treat my sleeping gear, the inside of my backpack and my cloth stuff sacks with permethrin.
I do it before I leave for the Camino - it should last the duration of your Camino.

Be aware that permethrin is not a deterrent, nor will it kill bed bugs on contact. Instead, it kills them over a period of hours when they are in contact with a permethrin treated surface. That's why I treat my sleep sack, the inside of my backpack and my cloth stuff sacks with permethrin. I figure that if they get into my gear that they aren't coming out alive - I don't want to be the pilgrim who is transporting bed bugs along the Camino, and I don't want to bring them home!

This video shows how bed bugs slowly die when exposed to a permethrin treated surface

I use the Sawyers yellow bottle. I find it does 2 Caminos for 2 people. I spray my pack liberally inside and out, but my sleeping bag only on the outside (personal choice).
I hang mine outside to spray, and then under cover with air circulation to dry. Just make sure you have left enough time for it to dry.

Most read last week in this forum

Not sure where to place this. Something is wrong with BOOKING.COM. It has locked me out of my account both thru the app and online. I made ALL OF OUR RESERVATIONS (starting next week) thru them. I...
Hello everyone, I've been browsing this forum for a while now, and it's been incredibly helpful in planning my Camino journeys (so far, I've done VĂ©zelay, Frances, and Portuguese, and tomorrow I...
Ten years ago to the day, I returned home from walking the Camino Frances. People asked me if I would do it again, and I said absolutely. I thought I'd be going back in "3 to 4 years." Obviously...
..all packed and still 24 hours before I start my journey...train to Gatwick,flight to Bilbao, bus to Pamplona the taxi with others to SPDPfor night of 23rd...so what can I do now??
Hi, we are starting from Sarria on April 28, 2024. Getting excited...
Wondering what public transit is available from Porto to Caminha.

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.