• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Blankets at the albergues

JoEllen

Time of past OR future Camino
I read differing stories about the availability of blankets at the alberques. I would like to travel with a lightweight sleeping sack but the temperature rating is 55 degrees (F). I will be starting in early May of 2017 and I'm concerned I will be cold without perhaps a blanket for the first 2-3 weeks. Any suggestions? I do have a down sleeping bag that has a lower temperature rating and weighs only 1.3 lbs. Should I take that instead? I'm a bit of a cold sleeper.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Autocorrect got you with your thread title ;-)
If you are a cold sleeper, take the down bag, not all albergues have blankets and when the blankets have been washed the last time is anybody's guess ...

Buen Camino and Welcome to the forum, SY

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Virtually all albergues have blankets.:) Roncesvalles does not, to its shame...

I'm not too picky ( I think ;) ) but I really don't like the blankets at most albergues. I prefer to sleep in my clean clothes in my sleepingbag when too cold.

Now I think about it the only time I used a blanket was in the well kept and ultra clean albergue on the Camino Portugues at the Albergue Casa de Recoleta at Tamel de San Pedro Fins. An example for all others.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I cannot agree with the statement that most albergues have blankets.

Bring the down sleepingbag as it is so light. Nothing worse than not sleeping well at night bacause one is cold and having a myserable day the day after.

Do not rely on blankets. They are not in all albergues, on the contrary, actually. And as others have questioned: How clean? Bring what you need to keep warm. A very light sleeping bag, and use some of your clothes, f.ex.

But this is just one of many issues: You must see to it that your are self-sufficient. Do rely on only what's in your backpack. Not meant to scare you: Just be prepared.

Edit:
I do have a down sleeping bag that has a lower temperature rating and weighs only 1.3 lbs. Should I take that instead? I'm a bit of a cold sleeper.
By "cold sleeper" I take it that you mean you like it a bit cold at nights. Then I would definitely choose as you describe. You should not find the nights cold, but you can put on a T-shirt if so.

But also remember: You are in Spain, in May. Normally warm...

Last edited:
They are not in all albergues
That is true, but another thread on the subject found only about three places without blankets. Avoid them if it means carrying a blanket for over a month! In the summer you may have to ask for one; they will have been put in storage. I doubt if the ones provided are cleaned very often, but then neither is the mattress or pillow!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Oh yes...blankets, pillows, toilets, mattresses (especially mattresses, they sometimes look as impressionist paintings)...I try not to think about them being (or not) clean enough. I took them at face value and trust my body defences. In general, I feel that albergues are reasonably clean and hospitaleros do their best. Actually, they are better that some hotels I have known.
Problems? I will deal with them when I come back home. Fortunately, apart from awful looking toenails and brown spots where blisters had been, nothing remarkable after four pilgrimages.

Last edited:
Do not rely on blankets. They are not in all albergues, on the contrary, actually. And as others have questioned: How clean? Bring what you need to keep warm. A very light sleeping bag, and use some of your clothes, f.ex.

But this is just one of many issues: You must see to it that your are self-sufficient. Do rely on only what's in your backpack. Not meant to scare you: Just be prepared.

Edit:

By "cold sleeper" I take it that you mean you like it a bit cold at nights. Then I would definitely choose as you describe. You should not find the nights cold, but you can put on a T-shirt if so.

But also remember: You are in Spain, in May. Normally warm...

I'm very self-sufficient....I've done long distance backpacking in many areas of the US without the luxury of an albergue, mountain hut, hostel or cafe. The most luxury I found was an actual privy in the backcountry of Glacier National Park and Yellowstone National Park. I get cold easily, so I will probably opt for the lightweight down bag.

I walked this past May (and late April) and had a sleeping bag, down, similarly rated (55 degrees). I also sleep kind of cold, and brought a silk sleeping bag liner. I was comfortable the whole way. There were nights when albergues were hot, there were nights when they were chilly. I slept in layers (clothes) if I needed extra warmth.

I usually did not use the albergue blankets, and my experience was that maybe 1/5 of albergues didn't have them.

Hope this helps. Buen Camino!
Priscilla

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I read differing stories about the availability of blankets at the alberques. I would like to travel with a lightweight sleeping sack but the temperature rating is 55 degrees (F). I will be starting in early May of 2017 and I'm concerned I will be cold without perhaps a blanket for the first 2-3 weeks. Any suggestions? I do have a down sleeping bag that has a lower temperature rating and weighs only 1.3 lbs. Should I take that instead? I'm a bit of a cold sleeper.
Don't count on there being blankets...

I have a light sleeping bag and sometimes needed an extra layer but avoided using albergue blankies because who knows when or if they've ever been washed. I have a little down throw that packs super-small in it's own bag from Costco so will take that next time!!

Back