• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Blankets in albergues

Andresin

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino francés May 2017, Camino del Norte October 2017
Are blankets available at the albergues like they used to before the pandemic?

Solution
F
Very few still offer them. If you are in a hotel or private room in a hostal - you will have a blanket. In an albergue - don't count on it! Bring a sleeping bag liner and a sleeping bag/blanket/quilt!
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
There is still contagious virus out there?! If there are blankets?..I doubt they would be freshly washed? And the bed bugs love to hide in them. Bring a sleeping bag or a lite comforter.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Very few still offer them. If you are in a hotel or private room in a hostel - you will have a blanket. In an albergue - don't count on it! Bring a sleeping bag liner and a sleeping bag/blanket/quilt!
Good information.

The only thing that many (Newby-) Peregrinos often have a problem with is the terminology.
Therefore a short overview for newcomers who don't dare to ask (We veterans sometimes forget)

1. Albergues, Spanish for Hostels (Bunk-bed dormitories, basic),
==> There are municipal albergues and private albergues. Both are basically the same (let's forget about the subtle differences here) The "private" distinguishes merely, how /by whom the Albergue is run.
Prices are generally from € 5 to €15 plus, -where available- breakfast; Private Albergues are often marginally higher than Municipals.
IMPORTANT: There are so-called Donativo Albergues, which do not charge for their beds. This does not mean that they are free of charge, but that they leave it to their patrons to pay what they can. The system works, because the majority (should-) pays the same or more than in a regular Albergue, to allow some really poor Peregerinos to sleep for less or nothing.

2. All other forms of private accommodation:
==> B&B, Posadas, Hostals (Spanish for pensions, do not confound with Hostel), Hotels
All offer private rooms, either with a single-, usually with double bed, some even with 3 or 4 beds; all with bedsheets 😄. Standard along the Camino are rooms with two beds and you pay for the room, not the beds; you may however be charged extra for 2 breakfast. Therefore, a room at €25 for two persons may not be more expensive than a bunk bed in an Albergue...that's what I keep telling to pretty peregrinas along the way...to no avail 😀)
Prices vary depending on comfort, location etc., starting at € 25 to 70, Hotels up to 100 (De-luxe Hotels such as Paradores may go to €150 plus; NEVER forget to mention that you are a Peregrino for special discounts)

3 Confusing: Private Albergues with private rooms
To augment profitability, many albergues have added private (double-) rooms to their dormitories, it pays off to ask; prices are usually between €25 and 40. Recomendable for those wanting to stick with other peregrinos while keeping a bit of privacy. And this brings me back to the OP: Such Albergues may not always supply bedsheets/blankets in their private rooms....😄

Buen Camino to all

Last edited:
Very few still offer them. If you are in a hotel or private room in a hostal - you will have a blanket. In an albergue - don't count on it! Bring a sleeping bag liner and a sleeping bag/blanket/quilt!
The cost of cleaning heavy blankets is too great along with the fear of contamination and bedbugs. Go prepared, do not plan on public albergues to have blankets.

I am on the Camino Frances now, have walked from Roncesvalles to just past Burgos. Have stayed in several albergues and they all had blankets available, except the municipal in Burgos. Some of the municipals are still closed. I have a sleeping bag and a liner, so didn’t need the blankets, but other people have used them.
I have encountered bedbugs once so far, in Pamplona, and I didn’t even use their blanket.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Currently walking. Left Carrion this morning. So far blankets available everywhere.
Using camino ninja app and not too accurate. It states some albergues are open but they are closed. It seems albergues are opening later than normal due to weather and covid. Prices are higher for everything.

Just finished the CF.
No blankets in the municipal albergues in Galicia.
Some blankets available only iafter asking 2-3 times in Castilla Leon.
Bring your own sleeping bag. I have been freezing a couple of nights

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Currently walking. Left Carrion this morning. So far blankets available everywhere.
Using camino ninja app and not too accurate. It states some albergues are open but they are closed. It seems albergues are opening later than normal due to weather and covid. Prices are higher for everything.
Good information. This is why I have Wise Pilgrim and Buen Camino apps as well as Gronze.com
When I walked the VDLP last October-December Gronze was by far the most accurate, but no app is 100% accurate. I walk in late Fall/Winter so I like to have a few apps to check as no app has all albergues. Call ahead is the best way to make sure an albergue is open.

I finished the VDLP by bike a week ago, staying mostly in Albergues. They all provided blankets and disposable bottom sheet/pillowcase. Starting the Frances on foot in a few days and unsure whether to take a sleeping bag this time

In El Burgo Ranero, we provide blankets, but we don’t wash them. FYI, it is cold on the Meseta right now. There is plenty of space in the albergues so far. Bed bugs, in spite of their name, tend to live in the furniture and building rather than the bed. You have been warned. Buen camino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I finished the VDLP by bike a week ago, staying mostly in Albergues. They all provided blankets and disposable bottom sheet/pillowcase. Starting the Frances on foot in a few days and unsure whether to take a sleeping bag this time
At Roncesvalles they don’t provide blankets (also prepare to wait nearly 2 hours to check in as pilgrim numbers have increased beyond processing capacity)

In June/July 2021 I received very few blankets. And it was unseasonably cold and sleeping most nights was miserable for me! Slept in all my layers, my silk liner, and used my Turkish towel as a blanket and was still cold.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.