• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Blankets

Gypsyqueen

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino del Norte April 2018
Hi pilgrims, I'm getting mixed messages whether albergues on the Portuguese Camino still provide blankets ( re Covid ). Would appreciate advice.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi pilgrims, I'm getting mixed messages whether albergues on the Portuguese Camino still provide blankets ( re Covid ). Would appreciate advice.
Some places provided both a sheet and a covering that masqueraded as a blanket, but was so thin that it might just as well have been a top sheet. Others just provided a sheet, and some provided nothing.

I always carry a sleeping bag and liner, and always used them in the albergues I stayed in.

Last edited:
Recently , in my field of work, I was confronted with a small outburst of scabies.
Seems scabies is becoming a bigger issue again.

Like bedbugs something to be aware of.

Made me think to avoid all types of blankets in albergues in the future.

Not trying to worry anyone but I believe vigilance is needed.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
If you don't sleep well when cold - bring your own. Down is lightweight and compressible. You might get great weather and never need it - but I had one unseasonably cold summer Camino and was miserable at night. This was in mid-June through July. Nothing worse than not being able to sleep because you are too cold when you are physically exhausted. If you are a warm sleeper - you might be able to go without. Even albergues that do have blankets - they usually don't wash them frequently.

Recently , in my field of work, I was confronted with a small outburst of scabies.

Made me think to avoid all types of blankets in albergues in the future.

Not trying to worry anyone but I believe vigilance is needed.
Many thanks for you r reply & yes "bed bugs " !!!!

If you don't sleep well when cold - bring your own. Down is lightweight and compressible. You might get great weather and never need it - but I had one unseasonably cold summer Camino and was miserable at night. This was in mid-June through July. Nothing worse than not being able to sleep because you are too cold when you are physically exhausted. If you are a warm sleeper - you might be able to go without. Even albergues that do have blankets - they usually don't wash them frequently.
Yes I will follow your advice- I will bring my own polar fleece blanket, my thermal pants and my silk liner. Thanks for your reply.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The cost of cleaning and precautions about the Corona Virus have wisely limited any distribution of blankets. BE PREPARED / GO PREPARED.

I took a down filled blanket that compressed completely. - Found it on Amazon. Loved it!
Hi. That sounds great. Would you be kind enough to post the link. There are so many options and it is always good to get one someone else has tried.

AGREE : The cost of cleaning and precautions about the COVID /Corona Virus have wisely limited any distribution of blankets. BE PREPARED / GO PREPARED.
Plus another place for bed bugs hide & nest .
Having volunteered at Large 90 bed donativo Albergue pre Covid - the expectation that Blankets would be provided was evident with walkers.
Some walkers hostile & saying it’s a “right” for blankets to be in an albergue.

The desire to carry less with minimal items was very prominent on the Frances in summer vacation time .

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
- the expectation that Blankets would be provided was evident with walkers.
Unfortunately the sense of entitlement which some people bring with them on Camino only seems to increase as time passes.

Looks like you’re still getting mixed messages. Nothing new here, move on, move on…

Each and every Albergue is unique to itself. I just carry my own lightweight down sleeping bag. My comfort remains my property. Not dependent on the random nature of the Camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Made me think to avoid all types of blankets in albergues in the future
Not trying to worry anyone but I believe vigilance is needed
I've used blankets at albergues many times over the years and neither got bedbugs or scabies from them. I used them this last September through October on the Frances in fact.
I think your statement is unsupported and unless you have documented evidence of puts a baseless fear to prospective pilgrims.
I do recommend pilgrims bring some type of their own sleep system, but if by some chance an extra layer on top is needed I wouldn't fear the blanket. 😀

I've used blankets at albergues many times over the years and neither got bedbugs or scabies from them. I used them this last September through October on the Frances in fact.
I think your statement is unsupported and unless you have documented evidence of puts a baseless fear to prospective pilgrims.
I do recommend pilgrims bring some type of their own sleep system, but if by some chance an extra layer on top is needed I wouldn't fear the blanket. 😀

I wrote in an earlier thread that scabies is on the rise ( in society and therefore possible also in places of community living) and we should be watchful . Like with bedbugs.
I did not say I encountered them on any of my Caminos.
But I stand with my personal idea that I never use the blankets provided in an albergue.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Scabies, Measles, Diptheria, Tuberculosis. All afflictions of the past in Europe. Except they ain’t. There is a resurgence in all of them.

Scabies almost always requires skin to skin contact to transmit so just make sure that bunk and blanket are empty before you get in it.

Scabies, Measles, Diptheria, Tuberculosis. All afflictions of the past in Europe. Except they ain’t. There is a resurgence in all of them.

Scabies almost always requires skin to skin contact to transmit so just make sure that bunk and blanket are empty before you get in it.

Though not always only through skin on skin.
Infected textile longer than 15 minutes on one persons skin is unfortunately enough.
Unlikely but not impossible as some of my colleagues in healthcare found out.
And that was merely with arranging closet of a patient and putting on new bedsheets.

I just carry my own lightweight down sleeping bag. My comfort remains my property. Not dependent on the random nature of the Camino
Egualmente. I do not need anything not carried on my back (7 kgs.). The randomness of different albergues is just that: Random.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Though not always only through skin on skin.
Infected textile longer than 15 minutes on one persons skin is unfortunately enough.
Unlikely but not impossible as some of my colleagues in healthcare found out.
And that was merely with arranging closet of a patient and putting on new bedsheets.
Yes, the mite can survive three days ( it is said ) in bedding and clothing used by someone with an infection. Common transmission remains skin to skin.

Any chance you have the link to it?
I'm not @poogeyejr, but I can vouch for these down blankets from Montbell. I have the medium size which is quite small, but large enough to cover me when I tuck it inside my silk sleep sack.

Amazon has this less expensive option, but I haven't tried it.

AGREE : The cost of cleaning and precautions about the COVID /Corona Virus have wisely limited any distribution of blankets. BE PREPARED / GO PREPARED.
Plus another place for bed bugs hide & nest .
Having volunteered at Large 90 bed donativo Albergue pre Covid - the expectation that Blankets would be provided was evident with walkers.

The desire to carry less with minimal items was very prominent on the Frances in summer vacation time .
Ice at the Dallas/Forth Worth airport meant I had to buy a blanket to sleep in the terminal . They didn't owe me a blanket.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I haven't used it yet but I bought this iClimb blanket from amazon (less expensive version of the montbell). I compared the two and the iClimb is quite a bit cheaper and only slightly more weight (about 2 ounces) and has strong reviews. I bought a separate xxs sea to summit compression bag to keep it in and it packs down pretty small (it does have a zip pocket built in it). I'll be trying it out in May on the Norte!

I'm also frustrated with the mixed messages. It would be far better if the apps and commenting systems included this in information on the auburgues. Maybe there is only 1 on the Frances that does not provide them. Sigh. I guess I'm repacking my bag.

I'm also frustrated with the mixed messages. It would be far better if the apps and commenting systems included this in information on the auburgues. Maybe there is only 1 on the Frances that does not provide them. Sigh. I guess I'm repacking my bag.
Where are these mixed messages? I see no evidence of that. So far as I can tell from this thread there has been a pretty simple message about the CP, which was the subject of the thread, and other routes generally. I haven't walked the CF for several years, so not post COVID. During COVID there was one simple message for all routes - albergues will not be providing blankets.

On the CP last year, as I said in an earlier post, some have begun providing a very lightweight blanket, many provide sheets, some provide nothing. That isn't a mixed message. It is a pretty clear indication that there is no one universal service standard that applies. It is not like albergues are equivalent to a hotel chain where there is a single service standard, or the star system that provides a worldwide set of standards for each star level.

As for expecting someone else to provide the information, I think sites like Gronze and WisePilgrim provide as much information as they can, but are pretty clearly dependent on what information is provided to them. If it isn't sufficient for you, there is always the option of contacting a property you might want to stay at and asking them specific questions. I have done that regularly using email, messaging or WhatsApp. There is nothing quite like taking charge of your own destiny, even if only in little ways!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Last Summer during July/August heatwave I was rocking a Silk/Merino wool mix blanket. Its extremely small and still adds +4 degrees of heat. For extra comfort I had a merino shirt, long merino leggings and a pair of extra light merino socks on me for evening wear / sleepwear.

I am planning to take the same evening/sleep setup with me now in May for Norte/Primitivo. This setup takes less than half of the space of a summer sleeping bag and weighs around the same added all together. I will do Norte with a 20L daypack thanks to this mix. For colder evenings I had also have a thin fleece jacket.

The whole concept is mix and matching my clean/dry evening clothes and sleep options.

Cocoon merino wool & silk blanket

I'm not @poogeyejr, but I can vouch for these down blankets from Montbell. I have the medium size which is quite small, but large enough to cover me when I tuck it inside my silk sleep sack.

Amazon has this less expensive option, but I haven't tried it.
I think I'm going to give the less expensive one from Amazon a try. We are a family of 4 and spending $150 each is a bit rough for our budget. Although the Montbell blankets look nice. I'd buy that one if I didn't need to purchase 4 of them.

Looks like you’re still getting mixed messages. Nothing new here, move on, move on…

Each and every Albergue is unique to itself. I just carry my own lightweight down sleeping bag. My comfort remains my property. Not dependent on the random nature of the Camino
Hi
Many thanks all for your replies. I bought a lightweight sleeping bag from Decathlon on Porto & so far last night in Labruge had blankets & tonight in Agucadoura also. Nevertheless I’m glad I bought a sleeping bag as you never know if all Albergues have them so it’s extra warmth security & tonight is especially cold !

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.