• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Blessing in Disguise

CannuckPilgrim

Hello Everyone,

My pilgrimage departure date (April 20) is coming up quickly, and it looks like my well paying high tech firm don't believe in a leave of absence, so I quit! Walking my first camino has become a pre-occupation, probably not very far from an obssession.

The good news is, other than now being unemployed and carefree after being a slave to capitalism and consumerism for the better part of the last 10 years I now have a whole 90 days to walk the camino (EU visas are limited to 90 days I guess).

I figure 90 days should be plenty to walk from Orleans to Finisterre also providing leeway to see sights along the way and stay in some nicer towns/villages.

The way I see it, walking the camino is a once in a lifetime experience (sometimes more than once for some), and work will always be around...

Thanks everyone for the inspiration and knowledge to dive into this adventure.

Cheers!
Eric

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Good choice Eric, I did something similar.. used to work for a big consulting firm out of Seattle, most of the projects in San Francisco, laptop warrior type work...

.. now I live in Spain, grow grapes and do IT consulting. A big change, but well worth it...

Once in Santiago, get in touch (e-mail best) and we can get together for a coffee...

Buen Camino!

Ivar

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hello Eric,

Not only will we be starting our pilgrimage around the same date (I'll be doing the Le-Puy to Santiago route) but I'm getting ready to quit my job also. Unfortunately or fortunately, not high paying job.

Walking the Camino has become for me an excuse to leave a very difficult and unhealthy work environment.

I hope we both find what we are looking for.

Buen Camino.

Solange

Congradulations on your decision to walk the Camino. I understand what you mean about unhealthy work environment, especially vis-a-vis stress and long hours.

I am certain that although walking the camino will create some pains and aches and blisters, it will definitely help to heal the ethereal aches and pains caused by the erosion of the soul in the tedium of the workplace.

Perhaps we'll meet in SJPDP, otherwise I wish you the best of luck!

Regards,
Eric

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
What are your favorite restaurants, bars, hotels, inns, etc on the Camino Frances NOT in albergues please? Gracias.
We just returned home from watching our second total solar eclipse here in the U.S. in 7 years. Our next is in 20 years. We have become hooked on the magical, mystical, moving unique experience...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back