• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Blister-free socks - or your money back!

sillydoll

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2002 CF: 2004 from Paris: 2006 VF: 2007 CF: 2009 Aragones, Ingles, Finisterre: 2011 X 2 on CF: 2013 'Caracoles': 2014 CF and Ingles 'Caracoles":2015 Logrono-Burgos (Hospitalero San Anton): 2016 La Douay to Aosta/San Gimignano to Rome:
I have been trying out the new 1000-mile, double layer, Fusion socks.
They have a full length achilles tendon padding, arch bracing, extra padding at toe and heels and a Tactel inner layer which wicks away perspiration.
In spite of all that, they are actually very thin. The most impressive part is the blister free guarantee.
Money back or replacement if, within one year from date of purchase, you either experience blisters or the socks wear out within 1000 miles of use provided care instructions have been followed.
Anyone want to try them out on a 1600km walk and let me know if they fulfill their promise?

Attachments

• 1000 Mile Fusion.jpg
    1000 Mile Fusion.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 11,686
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hello Sil,

could you post a link to there web site, and maybe next year I'll give the 16k a go.

thanks
David

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi, We have been wearing the 1000 mile socks on very long walks for the past 8 months and they DO live up to their reputation. We have now bought the Fusion type but haven't worn them yet. We're sold on this product for no blisters, comfort and not being tooooo hot in hiking boots!

I tried 1000 mile socks and I thought they were great. My problem with them, however was the drying time on Camino. They are double layer and of course take much longer to dry than separate liner socks. Any views on this?

thanks for the links Sill.

David

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
JohnnieWalker said:
I tried 1000 mile socks and I thought they were great. My problem with them, however was the drying time on Camino. They are double layer and of course take much longer to dry than separate liner socks. Any views on this?

We are happy with our '3 layer' system. The outer mohair layers only need occasional washing and we have 2 sets. Drying time 12 hours plus depending on the weather. The very thin inner liners we washed daily and they dry very quickly - 2-3 hours or overnight. (Handwashed and wrung out on the Camino, all much less if machine washed and spun dry at home)
Another advantage is being able to vary the combination according to the heat (or lack of it). Next year we will probably carry an extra pair of the middle weight mohairs.

Our weight for socks carried in rucksack was:-
Socks -200gms (Corrymoor mohair - 1pr cushion sole, 1pr plain knit; 3prs Rohan liners )

How many pairs of the 1000 mile socks would be needed to ensure a dry pair when needed? How long do they actually take to dry? Also how much does a pair weigh?

It would be interesting to make the comparison.
Happy feet = happy pilgrim :D
Tia Valeria

There are dozens of different models of the 1000 mile socks.

The model I bought is the 1000 mile Fusion athletic sock that weighs 51g as opposed to the Falke Walkies that I normally use that weigh 63g and the Falke liners that weigh 26g.

I'm not sure how long they take to dry. I suppose it would also depend on the season - faster in summer than in winter - slower on rainy days.

I'm lending my two pairs of 1000mile socks to a friend who will be walking the meseta at the end of the month. She has problem feet and always gets blisters. If they work for her they'll work for anyone! Watch this space!

I've reviewed these socks and would love to try them out. Does anyone know if they're available in North America? The site does not seem to indicate any retailers over here.

lynne

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Lynne - they were not available in South Africa. Fortunately I had a friend coming to South Africa who has been working in the UK and I bought them online, sent them to her and she brought them out for me.

Thanks for the link Jean-Marc!

I have also been looking at these socks but I find E24,00 (including postage to The Netherlands) quite steep for 1 pair of socks...of course worth every cent if they indeed live up to their promise.

Hope to hear comments from those already using the Fusion.

Cheers,
LT

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hello Sill,
Any news yet from your friend? These socks seems to be the answer to my problems too!

I'm lending my two pairs of 1000mile socks to a friend who will be walking the meseta at the end of the month. She has problem feet and always gets blisters. If they work for her they'll work for anyone! Watch this space![/quote]

I've been using the 1000 mile socks since Sil's recommendation 5 weeks ago. I was getting blisters before but none since using them. I've tried many socks over the years and these seem the best. I've also tried all sorts of trekking socks with or without liners. I've had no problems at all and am using the thicker winter sock (cant remember the name) which hasn't been too hot. I've had no problems drying them out after using them each day but not sure how quickly they dry after being washed. I'm starting the VdlP from Sevilla to Santiago next week and will have 2 pairs as my main walking socks. Not sure how durable they are so I have bought another pair for my wife to post to me should the need arise.

Andrew.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Fiorenza is known as the 'Blister Queen' !! But, not one blister on the trip!
On her 2003 camino she spent hours taping her feet with sports tape otheriwse she got dreadful blisters. She has other problems with her feet related to fallen arches so has to wear orthotics. The 1000 mile socks I gave her have an elasticised arch support as well as the achilles padding and they seem to have worked for her - not even a hot spot. They might not be the Holy Grail of socks for everyone but they have been for her.

OK, I've been waiting for that review. Now I guess I'll cough up the money for shipping a couple of pair to Canada :D

Thanks Sil.

lynne

If you have to have them shipped from the UK, why don't they call them 1000 Kilometre socks instead of 1000 Mile? :lol: Ah well, I'm doing great with my Thorlo socks, but there's likely a 1000 Mile sock in my future.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Yesterday, I placed the order for 2 pairs of socks being shipped from England to Holland.
I have high expectations! hope it works!

Thank you Sil!

I also have had many problems with blisters and have spent a lot of money on different kinds of socks, using both two-in-one combination models, and using inner liners with wicking socks on the outside. I wound up just going back to plain cheap sport socks which you can buy at Wal Mart for $10 for ten pairs.

UNTIL I found out about the 1000 mile socks. Like Lynne, I thought that it was very expensive to have to ship them to Canada from Britian, but I figured if they work, they would be well worth it. I bought two pairs as it was the same shipping costs, and I would hate to have bought one pair, paid the shipping, liked them, and then had to pay the shippng to get another pair. Speaking about shiping, it was very quick. I had the socks within 7 days.

I have wore them about 6 times now, the longest walk being 12kms so far. Not Camino standards by any means but a test anyhow. No blisters, no hot spots, very good results. The socks fit tight, do not go up the leg as much as my old fashion traits would like, BUT they work.

As someone noted, there are many different styles of 1000 Mile socks - I bought the Fusion model because that is the model where they guarentee no blisters. So far, blister free :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hello all,

I have been using the 1000 Miles Fusion Socks for a few weeks now.
I have been walking between 15 km and 25 km walks. And............no blisters!! I Usually get blisters after 20 km.
I also found these socks very cool, no hot feet. Indeed, they fit very tight.

Greetings from Holland

Interestingly, I wore a pair of simple smart wool socks (sometimes 2 pair) for 500 miles without a blister...

30daystosantiago said:
Interestingly, I wore a pair of simple smart wool socks (sometimes 2 pair) for 500 miles without a blister...

I did too....and had multiple blisters....everyone's feet are different!

I have had a couple of blisters in my 1000 Mile socks, guanteed to be blister free. I think what happens is after a few washes, the magic wears out.

Why don't you all just wear a thin, close fitting pair next to your skin, and a pair of slightly thicker socks on top?

That's what was done years ago, and it works the same as these hugely expensive socks you want to buy.

However, some/many are comforted by a brand name and are doomed to spend. :shock: :wink:

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Socks with built in liners have been around for a very long time. Some people find them convenient and effective. The last time I bought a pair of 1000 mile socks the cost was cheaper than buying a pair of Bridgedale woolen socks and Coolmax liners.

Tim-the-fat-Canadian said:
I have had a couple of blisters in my 1000 Mile socks, guanteed to be blister free. I think what happens is after a few washes, the magic wears out.
Hi Tim,
We have said elewhere that we favour 3 layers of socks. Very thin liners, medium middle and cushion sole outer layers. Can you try wearing a very thin pair of liners inside your 1000 mile socks and see if that helps? We have found that it is the middle layer that takes the rubbing and no blisters. (No vaseline etc either)
Blessings on your training and walking
Tia Valeria

Tia Valeria said:
We have said elewhere that we favour 3 layers of socks. Very thin liners, medium middle and cushion sole outer layers.
Tia Valeria

Could you link to the "very thin liners" you use?
Thanks

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hola Kiwi-family, we enjoyed your blog and comments here. In answer to your question:-
Kiwi-family said:
Tia Valeria said:
We have said elewhere that we favour 3 layers of socks. Very thin liners, medium middle and cushion sole outer layers.
Tia Valeria

Could you link to the "very thin liners" you use?
Thanks
The thin liner socks are made by Rohan in various sizes, effectively Unisex but are listed under Mens and Womens
http://www.rohan.co.uk/Product/Detail/MensSocks_02568?ocode=02568150
and
http://www.rohan.co.uk/Product/Detail/WomensSocks_02572?ocode=02572A57

We find them excellent, lightweight, quick drying etc.

The middle socks are Corrymoor mohair 'Sportsman' and the cushion soles are their 'Companion' (me) and 'Woodlander' (Terry) - just to complete the set. :)
We usually walk with the full set we are wearing plus 2 - 3 pairs of the liners and one spare set of the middle and cushion sole.
Hope you, and others, find this helpful.

I have a question about sizes - on the site, it starts at a 6-8 for women - am I to assume that this fits a Canadian or US size 6-8 shoe?
for those in Canada or US who have bought some, how was the sizing compared to your country sizing?
How long did it take to get the products? I'm leaving mid April, and would like to have them for my training walks asap - -

Thanks for your feedback
Aldy (Sylvie) pilgrim returning for my 2nd Camino

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hola Aldy,
If you mean the Rohan and Corrymoor sites then it is fairly easy to work out. Start on the Corrymoor site. The sizes are given for various countries equivalent to UK sizing; http://www.corrymoor.com/the-socks.html. You can then use this info to work out which Rohan size will fit. Their sizes are all UK ones, also the socks are basically unisex but smaller sizes are listed under Womens and larger under Mens. We personally use the small Corrymoor and the small ladies Rohan liners which are a good fit together. I guess the same is true of medium and large sizings but cannot say for sure.
Happy hunting

Interesting -- though I've found the best protection against blisters is to just ignore them, and walk so hard that the skin on the soles of your feet and toes thickens up so that you don't get them any more :D

As always : YMMV

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I imported Wigwam fusion socks recently from America, as they are no longer available in Australia. I bought these through http://www.socksaddict.com and even with postage costs they were considerably cheaper than buying 1000 Mile Socks through the the website suggested by Gareth Edwards. The Wigwam company was the first to manufacture the fusion sock, and the Wigwam UltramaxTrail Mix Fusion that I bought also have a merino wool outer.

I have learnt from this forum never to say that what I do or like is necessarily what other people should do or like : :D . But when I put my Wigwam socks on in the morning my feet feel like I have given them a hug : :)

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous.

Hate to rain on anyone's parade, but I have very mixed feelings about the 1000 MILE Fusion Socks. Maybe they have improved since 2010-11 when I bought mine, but I used them for the VdlP in 2011 with less than perfect results. I still got blisters, same as ever, so their guarantee was worthless. Apart from the drying problems and the way the fabric clings onto the sticky residue from compeeds etc, and wont wash off easily, we met a number of other repeat camino walkers who had thrown away their 1000 Milers en route. That said, I liked the snugness of the 2 layers (make sure there are no wrinkles) and the achilles support.

Have not tried the Wigwam, hopefully they do the trick, Alan. I've given up on preventing blisters on camino, tried everything, just have to accept that's what happens, and bank on them going away after 2-3 weeks ....

CaroleH said:
Hate to rain on anyone's parade, but I have very mixed feelings about the 1000 MILE Fusion Socks. Maybe they have improved since 2010-11 when I bought mine, but I used them for the VdlP in 2011 with less than perfect results. I still got blisters, same as ever, so their guarantee was worthless. Apart from the drying problems and the way the fabric clings onto the sticky residue from compeeds etc, and wont wash off easily, we met a number of other repeat camino walkers who had thrown away their 1000 Milers en route. That said, I liked the snugness of the 2 layers (make sure there are no wrinkles) and the achilles support.

Have not tried the Wigwam, hopefully they do the trick, Alan. I've given up on preventing blisters on camino, tried everything, just have to accept that's what happens, and bank on them going away after 2-3 weeks ....

I agree 100%. I had exactly the same problems with the 1000mile socks: blisters, long drying time, compeed sticking , also very tight to put on/take off.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The inner lining at the toes wore away halfway along the frances which resulted in some blisters. I got them repaired at a tailors. After he said that he never charges pilgrims he showed me his stamp collection. The collection was made up of stamps from all over the world sent to him by grateful pilgrims that he had helped repair something or other. Some envelopes were simply addressed The Tailor (el sastre) and the name of the village. I promised to send him some stamps from Costa Rica but it was the end of the day and I was a bit delirious achy and high after the walk andI have forgotten the village. If anyone knows of the stamp collecting tailor please let me know where he is. By the way the 1000 mile socks resumed functioning again and I will order some more for my next stint on the camino. I found changing socks halfway each day kept my feet in optimum health.

how do the sizes run? are they on the small side? I wear 9.5 here and want to order large but don't want extra fabric bunching up.

Hey Jude

The Wigwam medium size fits adult mens feet between 5 to 9.5. American, 5 to 8 UK, or 37 to 42 EC.

Alan

Hello Jude

They got my socks to me in Australia within 2 weeks so you should be fine.

Hope you have a great time on the del Norte, as I did 4 years ago. Buen camino!

Alan

Very interesting your contribution, I don´t know this socks. When I visit Burgos (tourism) I bought a pair of socks in a little shop . They works well and their perfect fit prevents sock movement and blisters and the company is there, in Burgos, they are http://www.mundsocks.com/ I bought Mund Andes for doing my Camino in hot days, Mund Cross mountain was my second bought and they are nice but not as Andes and Linner are perfect for wearing two pairs in really cold days. They are easy to find on internet and they are a success in my life :mrgreen:

Blister-free soxs, two pairs for a pound.

Salut. For the past couple of months I have been hiking in a pair of purple elastine/polyester sox which I purchased at Poundland in the UK. No blisters, perfect fit. The heels are now threadbare so tomorrow when I set off again I will turn the sox upside down. In a few weeks time I will rotate the sox sideways, et voilà, 24 weeks wear for 50 pence. :D

Every day should begin with a smle :D Thank you. L.K.

Alan

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I have two pair of 1000 mile fusion socks - Ladies Medium size 6-8 1/2 shoe. I will let them go for $15.00 each although I am ashamed to tell you what I spent for them including shipping.
They are brand new --I won't be using them after driving myself nuts trying out different sock options. I leave for Camino on Sept. 30 and will be gone for five weeks. If you catch me before I go I will be happy to send them or else when I return in November.

You can e-mail me at momohoss@yahoo.com

My son bought me a pair and I'm sure the socks will be blister free for 1000 miles but my feet were not!

I'm back to my well tested inner and outer pair strategy.

For some of us NO socks prevent blisters. I've tried them all. I am not a medical expert, but I sometimes wonder if blisters form not just from rubbing, by by the repetitive press, press, press, press, as you put your weight down for mile after mile, hour after hour.
So far I've tried Wright socks, 1000-mile socks, plasters, bandages, surgical spirit, vaseline and duct tape. Any more suggestions?!?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I used 1000 mile socks on the VdlP (which admittedly is only 1000km) last year and they worked for me, which made a wonderful camino even more wonderful. The only blister I got was on a "rest day" in Mérida, when I didn't wear them. Drying them was a bit of a pain but usually they were OK by dawn if washed first thing on arriving at the albergue. Mine cost "only" about £12, and I think you can get them cheaper on ebay (and I might try out the poundland ones if I can find them).

I also used some waterproof socks, which were a life-saver on a couple of days of torrential rain in Galicia.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Have you tried their money-back warranty? Did it work? SY

Yes, I did. And they do honor it. I tried two versions of their socks - both of them caused blisters within the first days. It was disappointing, but then I found Dhalgren and have been happy ever since.

I think the worst part is having to wear socks. That is honestly the one part of the Camino planning Im struggling with. I hate socks with a passion. I am going to have to try all of them as I never wear anything but wool to hike and have never hiked that far. The most I have done is about 4 to 5 miles in running shoes (trainers) I am a blistery person too so I really am going to have to think this over better. Also...boots anyone? Comments ... recommendations?

Why don't you all just wear a thin, close fitting pair next to your skin, and a pair of slightly thicker socks on top?

Yep, that's what I do, with Ouch Pouches in between the sock liners and expedition hiking socks (thickest possible). Spraying your feet with spray deodorant also helps prevent blisters.

I have used 1000 Mile Socks for years. No blisters. They're thin and dry out fairly fast. Only downside is no cushioning. But at least my feet don't roast in them. Same kind marathon runners use.

I have been trying out the new 1000-mile, double layer, Fusion socks.
They have a full length achilles tendon padding, arch bracing, extra padding at toe and heels and a Tactel inner layer which wicks away perspiration.
In spite of all that, they are actually very thin. The most impressive part is the blister free guarantee.
Money back or replacement if, within one year from date of purchase, you either experience blisters or the socks wear out within 1000 miles of use provided care instructions have been followed.
Anyone want to try them out on a 1600km walk and let me know if they fulfill their promise?

They sound reasonably wonderful...lol A big point to consider is one's own foot. As a 'fixer of feet' along numerous camino, I've found that those with poor bone structure, overlapping toes, hammer toes, bunions, poor circulation, funky nails...were doomed to get blisters regardless of the socks they chose. Toe sox may help to protect individual toes that would rub/ feel friction by wearing any 'normal footed sock'. In addition, overlapping toes should be properly lubricated and/or projected from friction by tape. These look great for straight, healthy feet and toes, and outwardly seem to appear comfortable. But in my experience many who suffer were not assigned beautiful picture perfect feet by their Maker. A blister free guarantee sadly won't apply to all.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.