• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Blister Prevention

capun

Hello

I've read about Compeed and bought some (very expensive shipping charges) to try them out. They worked fine for me, a bit hard to remove them. My wife is another story, the Compeed pulled a large section of skin from an old dried out blister and she does not want to use them again.

We have been trying different product brands with mixed results. Moleskin is just a bit too thick, we tried Spenco Second Skin Adhesive Knit with mixed results, it seems to shift a bit maybe due to moisture.

Someone reccomended to try out BSN Medical GmbH Leukotape P and their Cover-Roll Stretch. We have been using just the Cover-Roll Stretch with fairly good results but once in a while they do shift.

Has anyone tried these products and what is your opinion? How did you use them, some people suggested the best is to use a lube solution (Compeed), then applying the Cover-Roll then using the LeukoTape P on top of it. The LeukoTape P is waterproof and pretty sticky.

Thanks

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Oops :oops:

When I tried them after taking a shower they were starting to come off, so I removed them.

As a rule of thumb how long do they last? Shower cycles?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
It depends on a lot of factors. If Compeed is put on as a preventive, I get about a week from them. Foot perspiration eventually loosens them. On top of an oozing blister, after two or three days they may loosen. Cut off the loose parts, and leave the rest there. If a side comes up and admits water from your shower, they begin to come off. Again, I cut off the loose part and leave the rest.

Johnson and Johnson has the U.S. rights, and puts out a product with a much weaker adhesive. These can be removed much sooner and often without taking good skin. Remove very slowly and at a 90 degree angle.

Thanks for the info.

I do still need the info on the LeukoTape and Cover-Roll since my wife refuses to use the Compeed, I just ordered the J&J Band-Aid version to check them out myself

Hi,

I walked almost 400 KMs of the Camino Frances last year and wore 1000 mile socks and only got one small blister and that was because my feet got wet during very heavy rain.

I can't recommend them enough.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I've never tried these 1000 mile socks but heard a good deal about them.

Since I'm pretty sure I can't get those that easy in SĂŁo Paulo, and I'm leaving in less than a week, does anyone know if I can get them in one of the big cities of the Frances??

I would like very much to take them for a spin and have my saying... :lol:

Where are you starting your Camino?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
This is a recurring topic. Over the years I have seen some truly horrible sights, folks who haven't 'listened' to their feet.
For a number of years now I have been a huge fan of a daily coating of "Vaseline" (petroleum jelly) and even better "Bag Balm" (available via Ebay).
On my most recent walk - 70 miles in 7 days finishing on my 70th Birthday - in a Scottish January - I didn't have a single blister.
Prevention is better than a cure!

We went into a farmacia in Spain and bought some white sticking plaster in strips, which also comes on a roll. It sticks well, but can be removed and replaced in ordinary use. We never got blisters :) so didn't use it on the Camino. If I can find the packet and name I'll post again.
We never use Compeed.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
It's a white dressing-gauze like with paper backing. The paper is split in the middle to make it easier to peel off. It's stretchable but they tell you not to stretch it when applying it. I is hypoallergenic and air permeable but not sterile. We bought them in rolls since we want to cut them to fit our needs

capun said:
Hello
Someone reccomended to try out BSN Medical GmbH Leukotape P and their Cover-Roll Stretch. We have been using just the Cover-Roll Stretch with fairly good results but once in a while they do shift.

Has anyone tried these products and what is your opinion? How did you use them, some people suggested the best is to use a lube solution (Compeed), then applying the Cover-Roll then using the LeukoTape P on top of it. The LeukoTape P is waterproof and pretty sticky.

Thanks

Hola!
I really believe that if you have properly fitted boots/shoes, put a product like Glide or vaseline on your feet prior to putting on your wool liner sock with a wool outter sock, you will not get blisters. Obviously, you should wash your socks each night and let them completely dry before wearing. I did quite a bit of reading on how to keep my feet healthy and without blisters. I did not have blisters during training nor anytime while walking from SJPP to Santiago de Compostela. I liked the Glide and used it faithfully each morning. I had friends who did get blisters because they didn't know about using Glide or vaseline and liner socks. They used the compeed stuff and could not get it off without tearing the skin. Ouch! It's important to use wool liners and like-material socks. All Synthetics make your feet pool sweat and open you up to a most uncomfortable time..hot feet and blisters. My outter sock was a bit synthetic, but more wool blend, but the liner was wool only. They actually kept my feet cool and dry.
Of course, your shoes/boots should be broken in prior to walking long periods of time daily on the Way. Look up how to change up the lacing of your footwear, also. This will also help your feet happier, especially while walking down steep trails.
Good luck! And Buen Camino!!
Bozzie
(Dee Anne)

I found that compeed was most effective at the first sign of a blister and then never remove. Let it fall off or just trim the edges. I also made the initial mistake of applying over a well formed blister and then prematurely ripping it off and creating a mess. At that point you will need Betadiene( spelling)
and a gauze wrap to allow healing. Agree that prevention is best and what worked for me was a compeed roll on, that was applied every morning, a silk liner sock and medium weight outer sock. Also, most effective was changing socks at least once during the day to prevent moisture accumulation
on my feet.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
We didn't get blisters either but our method is to wear 3 pairs of socks (as said elsewhere). Liners (synthetic, wicking), thin mohair middle layer and thicker mohair outer socks. The middle ones take the friction. :)

Speaking as a very experienced hill walker I'd like to offer a couple of thoughts: the best treatment for blisters is to avoid them in the first place ( not trying to be funny ), whatever footwear you're going to wear should have been worn for at least 50+ hours in training and that would readily have identified if there any any pressure points that would continually cause problems and also start the process of toughening up the skin at the pressure points on your feet. When you do finish each day, take a couple of minutes to check your socks inside and out for any particles of grit etc before washing. I'm a big fan of 'double' socks, a thin inner 'Coolmax' liner and a medium weight outer wool based sock ( Bridgedale or similar ). In 8+ years of regular hiking I've only blistered once and that was my own fault for trying to break in new leather boots on an 8 hour+ hike. When buying your boots/shoes go for once size larger than your normal footwear to allow for the heavier socks and also the slight swelling in your feet over the course of repeated long walking days.

Commonest cause I saw on my 'baby' Camino last year for blisters was a combination of footwear/socks which although fine for a couple of hours walking on pavements, didn't offer enough protection/cushioning on the regular stretches of off pavement walking.

Hope this is of help to some.

Regards

Seamus

Most read last week in this forum

Hola, I was really hoping to walk the Camino again this coming summer but despite all my hopes and planning I am in need of a hip replacement instead, yea! I walked the Frances in 2017 and have...
Hi my name is Leah and I am starting the Camino Frances on April 10 and will be leaving Australia on April 4. I have just cut my hand and needed stiches which will need to come out when I am in...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.