• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Blister prevention

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Foot Glide
Its ingredients:
Ingredients:
Allantoin, caprylic/capric triglyceride, cetearyl alcohol, glyceryl behenate, glyceryl dibehenate, ozokerite wax, prunus armeniaca (apricot) oil, stearyl alcohol, symphytum officinale (comfrey) oil, tocopherol (Vitamin E), tribehenate

I see more moisturizers than lubricants. I think you should be looking for products that reduce friction. Moisturizers do the opposite. Talc, silicone, and petrolatum do that.

Hi, @Nancy Love, thank you for sharing.
Here's something that's free and invaluable: information!
www.blisterprevention.com.au/

And of course you can search threads here on the Forum--but it can be confusing because there've been lots of them, with conflicting advice because we all have our own opinions about what works and what doesn't. Feet are such personal and individual things.:confused::)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Its ingredients:
Ingredients:
Allantoin, caprylic/capric triglyceride, cetearyl alcohol, glyceryl behenate, glyceryl dibehenate, ozokerite wax, prunus armeniaca (apricot) oil, stearyl alcohol, symphytum officinale (comfrey) oil, tocopherol (Vitamin E), tribehenate

I see more moisturizers than lubricants. I think you should be looking for products that reduce friction. Moisturizers do the opposite. Talc, silicone, and petrolatum do that.
I'm still bringing my Vaseline.

I walked the Camino April/May 2016 and used Glide on my feet every 2 hours for the 34 days I spent walking. Feet all react differently but I had 0 blisters and no other foot problems. For every pilgrim there is a different idea on blister control but as I learned, no one can guarantee results. The only truth is" pay attention to your feet and check them often". Every break, take your shoes and socks off and check your feet for hot spots and massage the whole foot. Re-apply Glide or whatever your choice may be. I'd love to tell you your feet will thank you but that's not true because they'll be angry at what you are putting them through.

I walked the Camino April/May 2016 and used Glide on my feet every 2 hours for the 34 days I spent walking. Feet all react differently but I had 0 blisters and no other foot problems. For every pilgrim there is a different idea on blister control but as I learned, no one can guarantee results. The only truth is" pay attention to your feet and check them often". Every break, take your shoes and socks off and check your feet for hot spots and massage the whole foot. Re-apply Glide or whatever your choice may be. I'd love to tell you your feet will thank you but that's not true because they'll be angry at what you are putting them through.
Great advice- Thanks!!!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I am planning to do the Camino Ingles with a friend in October. A well known baggage transfer company has told me that if we want them to transfer our bags, the Albergue/ stage and baggage transfers must all be booked in advance. Has anybody tried to do this walk more spontaneously and book the luggage transfer the night before like we did on the Camino Frances?

FYI Target sells a product call Foot Glide claiming it'anti blister stick, it's.5 ounce, $6. Bought it but haven't tried it yet.

I did the Camino solo on Oct. 2015. I used Body Shield, bought on Amazon, which can be used other places besides the feet. I did get 1 blister. It was because I had to walk in pouring down rain with wet socks. After getting the blister I used moleskin.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Bought foot glide but never used it. It ended up that 1000 mile socks and paying attention to what my feet were telling avoided all but a few minor blisters (corrected with bandaids and moleskin applied as soon as it got sensitive). Also, I followed some good advice in that when my feet got hot, I stopped took off my socks, massaged my feet for about 10 minutes, and then started again. The best part about this was that in addition to my feet not getting too sore, someone always stopped and asked "Your feet ok?" and thus started another Camino conversation with someone who I didn't know.

Its ingredients:
Ingredients:

I have yet to walk the Camino, but reading all these threads on preventing blisters has helped me in my everyday life of tennis, Pickleball, cycling and walking. thank you.

Buy shoes from a good store like REI. Let them know where and how long you plan to walk, but Always trust your own judgement on comfort. Synthetic materials in modern shoes don't have as much stretch as leather so you want initial comfort with the socks you are going to wear. Weight carried on your feet is much more significant than weight on your back. This Backpacker page has good advice on prevention and treatment of blisters: http://www.backpacker.com/gear/footwear/hiking-boots/the-cure-beating-blisters/

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Nothing beats breathable shoes and switching socks! I had a real nightmare time dealing with my blisters. Finally I bought a new pair of shoes (my other ones were waterproof, big mistake!) and I started taking at least one break a day to switch my socks. Sweaty feet are blister central!

I wrote a bit about my blisters and how I prevented them here.

Buen Camino :)

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.