• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Blister prevention

JillGat

la tierra encantada
Time of past OR future Camino
I wore sandals last time I walked the Camino, but plan to also wear shoes this time. My Altra shoes fit great, but - with my orthotics - I intermittently have been getting heel blisters after long miles while training. So I sent an email to John Vonhof, the ultramarathoner guy who wrote "Fixing Your Feet" and also writes an excellent blog about the subject. I told him I've had success preventing blisters using tape, but didn't want the expense, weight and hassle of carrying tape and having to tape up my heels every day. He wrote this back:

Hi Jill,
Good luck on the Camino. First, here’s a non-tape suggestion that I think you could gain from. Check out ENGO Blister Prevention Patches. They go in the shoes and not on your feet. You can find them at http://www.goengo.com and on Amazon. Their Heel Blister Prevention Patch could help with your heel blisters. They go in the back of your shoe around the inside, side to side. The large and small ovals can go on the insole and up the heel counter if the blisters are low on your heel. Apply them to dry shoes and they should last a log time. They are thin and easy to carry, and inexpensive.
John

(I'm going to buy a variety pack to carry along in case I need them. They sound great!)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I never got a blister in 9000km and 23 caminos. When training at home if you get blister why?. Good well broken in boot/shoe essential. Remember you are walking a half marathon plus every day with back pack for 30/ 50 days.

@JillGat I got some Altra - Olympus 2.5, and changed out the stock insoles with SOLE - Active Thin with Met Pad. My Altras have a higher heel tab that helps to create a deeper heel pocket. The SOLE insoles are about the same thickness as the stock insoles, so they do not cause heel slippage. I tried my thick insoles, and they did cause heel slippage.

You might also consider an alternative lacing strategy. I have been lace locking the last 2 eyelets on the shoes. I have also tried Lock Laces, but they need to be cut longer for me to be able to get my feet in the shoes (open the tongue wide enough). They seemed to be tight enough yet still provide a little give, and maybe a little more comfortable across the last couple of eyelets than the regular laces.

Are you wearing liner socks? They may help transition the friction from your foot to between the socks.

Buena Suerte!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Jill ,
Use good shoes and socks.
Don't walk with wet socks.
When you have a break get your shoes off and the insoles out .
Aspecialy when it's hot.

This works fine for me , never had a blister.

Wish you a wonderful and blister free Camino .
Wish you well,Peter.

Hi Jill,
I've tried something different on each Camino. This year's combination was Altra Lone Peak 3.0 trail running shoes with Scholl "Work" gel replacement inserts and elastic laces (similar to the Lock Laces mentioned by linkster above), plus Injinji toe socks (trail) and daily application of aloe vera gel to my feet. Worked pretty well for me.
Buen Camino.

I wore sandals last time I walked the Camino, but plan to also wear shoes this time. My Altra shoes fit great, but - with my orthotics - I intermittently have been getting heel blisters after long miles while training. So I sent an email to John Vonhof, the ultramarathoner guy who wrote "Fixing Your Feet" and also writes an excellent blog about the subject. I told him I've had success preventing blisters using tape, but didn't want the expense, weight and hassle of carrying tape and having to tape up my heels every day. He wrote this back:

Hi Jill,
Good luck on the Camino. First, here’s a non-tape suggestion that I think you could gain from. Check out ENGO Blister Prevention Patches. They go in the shoes and not on your feet. You can find them at http://www.goengo.com and on Amazon. Their Heel Blister Prevention Patch could help with your heel blisters. They go in the back of your shoe around the inside, side to side. The large and small ovals can go on the insole and up the heel counter if the blisters are low on your heel. Apply them to dry shoes and they should last a log time. They are thin and easy to carry, and inexpensive.
John

(I'm going to buy a variety pack to carry along in case I need them. They sound great!)

Used this before walking it works no blister easy to apply compeed anti blister stick
shopping

Attachments

• upload_2017-8-13_14-6-19.jpeg
    upload_2017-8-13_14-6-19.jpeg
    2.1 KB · Views: 40
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Hi Jill,
John

I use a pair on the big toe edge, R foot, which I know may cause problems. One applied to shoe and the other to insole (orthotic in my case). Works!

Hi Jill,
John
If you buy the Engo patches, apply them appropriately before you walk the camino. They are permanent patches that affix to insole and inside shoe and are pretty permanent. Mine are still attached after walking Hadrians Wall Path, the Camino Ingles, Cinque Terre, and other hikes in between. I do think they helped my long standing issue with blisters on the outside of each big toe. The patches did come off after walking in torrential rain, but I pressed them back on again. I am going to buy more for a new pair of insoles and shoes.

I never got a blister in 9000km and 23 caminos. When training at home if you get blister why?. Good well broken in boot/shoe essential. Remember you are walking a half marathon plus every day with back pack for 30/ 50 days.

Sounds like you may have a genetic advantage! Even with well fitting shoes, certain conditions can lead to blisters for most people, after running or walking many miles.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
@JillGat I got some Altra - Olympus 2.5, and changed out the stock insoles with SOLE - Active Thin with Met Pad. My Altras have a higher heel tab that helps to create a deeper heel pocket.

I love the idea of the Altra Olympus shoes - having more padding than the Lone Peak. However they seem nowhere near as wide as the Lone Peak, unfortunately.

Yes, I use the lace locking system that helps a lot. My custom orthotics address the metatarsal pain I am prone to, so I'm not giving them up. I wear Wright socks, which are double layer, so don't require a liner sock. I walked 20K today at home and only got a toe blister, where my toes overlap and rub on each other. I taped for that last year. Injinji toe socks work great, too!

I think the recommendation of removing and drying out socks and shoes during breaks is important, too. If I have any blister problems, I always have my Chaco sandals, which I walked most of the Camino in last year.

@JillGat I did not try the Lone Peak, but the Olympus fit is small. I had to step up 1.5 sizes to accommodate my normal length and width. My Chacos have good arch support, but they are heavy. Did you wear your orthotics with the Chacos somehow? I am planning on my crocs as a 2nd pair of shoes. I can easily slip my insoles in them after the shower. I cannot imagine walking in them on a trail ... they are just to squishy. I used them once on a trail in Myakka, and almost turned an ankle.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
My friend used the Engo patches, and they worked well for her.
I've been using Omnifix Elastic tape on the balls of my feet and wrapping two of my toes with it every day. At this point, I don't think I really need it anymore, but keep it up out if superstition. :D
I just arrived at Finisterre today with zero blisters after walking for six weeks.
The Omnifix is great stuff. It's soft and flexible, so it easily conforms to your foot. It stays on all day, and comes off without leaving a sticky residue. It doesn't weigh much and is available in most farmacias. I think that it comes in two types - regular, and the stretchy "elastic" one, which is what I used. For those who sew, it's like a non-woven stretch interlining fabric with adhesive.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Jill- I wear Altra Lone Peaks and am hoping that they wear out so I can have a reason to buy the boots before our next Camino. I have also been wearing Armor Skins for the past few years. The only blister I ever got was on the one day that I was not wearing them. Ultreia!

The single best piece of advice came from Annie, who was adamant about getting hiking shoes or sneakers a size and a half larger than your actual size. I followed Annie’s advice and got a pair of size 12 ASICS (with gel innersoles) for my size 10½ feet—half a size more for my thick alpaca socks, which are very warm and which would wick the moisture away from my feet, and a whole size larger for my foot to swell. I also went with a second pair of running shoes, size 12 waterproof Columbias, which I would wear when it rained. I could switch from one pair of sneakers to the other when I felt rubbing that might turn into a blister. I learned to turn my socks inside-out halfway through the day to keep my feet dry. The other tip I faithfully followed, courtesy of Annie’s Walkers, was to put on a thin nylon sock liner. This not only wicks the moisture, but the rubbing now happens between the two pairs of socks and not so much on the foot. I followed the advice and got just one blister on my entire journey From the Book "Slow Camino"
.https://www.amazon.com/Slow-Camino-My-Adventure-Santiago-ebook/dp/B071ZZNK9S

Hi Jill,
John

I put Umguentum del Peregrino on my feet every morning. Never had any problems with blisters. Hospitallera in Cizur Menor says Vick is best plus proper lacing. She laced my boots for me and I never changed it the whole way. A marvellous lady by the way

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Hi Jill,
John

Just after completing the Camino Frances from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compestela and never got any blisters
I wore ARMASKIN anti blister socks, applied Vaseline to my feet every morning and wore Keen runners trekking sandals with toe guards
I would highly recommend the ARMASKIN socks. They are supplied by an Australian company and can be bought online. Just Google "ARMASKIN" and you will find the supply company
But at least two pairs because I found the heels wear out after about 500 km of walking

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.