• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Blister product advice

Ryan_StL

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2013
October 2017
I used to get blisters on the ball of my feet every hike until I found the right sock for me. Now I only get one on my little toe. I’ve learned to live with it, but before I go on my trip next week, I figured I’d ask.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a product to prevent a recurring blister?

Right now I’ve decided to give second skin a try. We’ll see, but any other ideas?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I used the Compeed roll on every morning and again at night. I wore my flip flops in the evenings to let air around my feet. Seemed to work as I didn't get any blisters on the Portuguese over the last couple of weeks.

I might not have anyway but who knows.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I used to get blisters on the ball of my feet every hike until I found the right sock for me. Now I only get one on my little toe. I’ve learned to live with it, but before I go on my trip next week, I figured I’d ask.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a product to prevent a recurring blister?

Right now I’ve decided to give second skin a try. We’ll see, but any other ideas?
Prevention and cure..
I use Micrpore tape or in Spain it's Lucopore, it's a sticky paper and doesn't allow the skin to move creating the blister - it's always worked for me! If I feel a blister developing I tape it over with micropore which effectively stops it developing!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Sheep wool might do the trick?

On toes to prevent blisters I use silicone tubes which you can cut to size.

I get those on my little toes too, all the time.
My cure? Wear knee high hosiery with your socks. People had recommended silk socks but when I saw the price, I figured regular hosiery would work and it does. You can use a bit of body glide on your toes just for extra help. Cheap, compression hosiery are fine. The ones that cost a 2-3 €.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Try Vaseline or even better BAGBALM applied liberally before putting on your socks. Feels squishy for for the first few minutes but fine after that.

Where's the blister? I had one on my little toe and just cut away the bit of my sandal that was rubbing. Obviously less of an issue with a sandal than a boot but I'd still consider doing it unless plenty of rain was guaranteed.

I know you said that you found a good sock, but perhaps socks with toes? We use Injinji socks with toes, which keeps them separated so there's no rubbing. Perhaps these will work for you too? My husband use to get blisters on his toes all the time. Not one blister on his toes after three Caminos and many other hikes, now for his heels, that's another story...

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I used a piece of this blister toe protector around my complete toe with a little blister.

But it felt too thick... then I cut off a small piece that just covered the blister on the toe and a little bit around and taped it with the white tape (image).
That did the trick for me...

blister_toe_small.png

Last edited:
My good lady is a tissue viability nurse has used the white of a raw egg to speed healing skin issues when dry it forms a skin over the area its put on. Also lady's foam hair rollers can be cut and used as toe protectors.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I met two south African girls on the Camino this year who have started their own company selling pure wool. They are called bliswool and are on Facebook. They set the company up after previous Camino experiences with blisters.

I know you said that you found a good sock, but perhaps socks with toes? We use Injinji socks with toes, which keeps them separated so there's no rubbing. Perhaps these will work for you too? My husband use to get blisters on his toes all the time. Not one blister on his toes after three Caminos and many other hikes, now for his heels, that's another story...

Ha! Injinji socks are what cured the blisters I was getting on the ball of my feet. They're wonderful, but no matter what the little toe on my right foot still get a big blister. I gifure it's because an old hip injury turns my foot rightward a little more, or a childhood accident (I cut off a good piece of it running on sharp rocks) has doomed me to a blister. But this time I'll try the second skin.

Ha! Injinji socks are what cured the blisters I was getting on the ball of my feet. They're wonderful, but no matter what the little toe on my right foot still get a big blister. I gifure it's because an old hip injury turns my foot rightward a little more, or a childhood accident (I cut off a good piece of it running on sharp rocks) has doomed me to a blister. But this time I'll try the second skin.
And I got a weird blister in the webbing between my big toe and my second toe from wearing Injinji socks! And I'm not the only one. A friend who is on the Camino now got a nearly identical blister after wearing Injinji socks. I thinkt that we both probably pulled them down to far on our feet. It could be because I have rather long toes. :D

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I used Body Glide on the tops of my feet, bottoms of my feet, around the heels, pads of my toes, between my toes. Every day. From day 1. Blister count over 800 km: 0.

As per martin1ws gel toe tubes do the trick. I was prone to get an annoying blister on a little toe but putting these on before walking stopped any reoccurrence - just cut to the length required. You can get the tubing in different sizes for different toes. Best to buy on the internet before you go as they are quite expensive in Spain.

I used the Compeed roll on every morning and again at night. I wore my flip flops in the evenings to let air around my feet. Seemed to work as I didn't get any blisters on the Portuguese over the last couple of weeks.

I might not have anyway but who knows.

I second the Compeed anti blister stick. Do like it better than Glide. Used Injini toe socks and NOT ONE BLISTER or HOT SPOT entire Camino Portuguese! Of course, nor did we have any rain in the three weeks, so feet and footwear stayed dry...I think that's the key along with anti friction.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Prevention and cure..
I use Micrpore tape or in Spain it's Lucopore, it's a sticky paper and doesn't allow the skin to move creating the blister - it's always worked for me! If I feel a blister developing I tape it over with micropore which effectively stops it developing!

I had a good experience with micropore tape/ surgical tape also. Put it on if you feel pressure and leave it there. I got no blisters and I rubbed my feet with coconut oil every evening. good socks and shoes also played their part. Shoes a size bigger than you normally wear to allow room for the socks. Pity to have a beautiful experience on the camino blighted by the pain and discomfort of any blister big or small!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I found that that the Dr Scholls silicone tubes are great. Take them off every night. I had lost a couple of toenails before this too. Now I only wear Merino socks which are better than everything else. Chemists in Portugal sell the Dr Scholl range.

IMO #1 correct shoes for your foot and prevention

I have tried:
Vaseline
Toe caps
Hikers wool (though I do believe this helped on steeper down hills where sliding into the toe of a trail shoe was more likely despite lacing appropriately)
Liner socks with wool over sock
Darn tough socks etc
Body glide
Mole skin

What worked for me
Antiperspirant at night before bed on my feet ( I have hot sweaty feet and it was worth the weight 1 small travel size lasted 580 miles)
Blister shield powder rubbed on my feet in am ( not a package poured into the sock as the company suggests)
Ininji toe socks med weight crew . Not liners
Leukotape or surgical skin tape on any hot spots including around the ball of my foot
No blisters

I had compeed with me when i walked, but the biggest advice I can give is to stop walking when your body gets tired, honestly that's the most important preventative and so many try to keep up with others etc and end up putting themselves under so much pressure, resulting in blisters and general unwellness...
I know ur blister is a chronic one so its a vulnerable area anyway, I'm only familiar with compeed which I think is super but for such a small tricky area, you'd prob need a thinner protectant. Did someone mention a roll on compeed? I reckon that would be perfect! Hope you'll be ok and you get sorted.

Buen Camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I coated my feet in vaseline every morning and wrapped lamb's wool around one toe hotspot. Amazing! My feet were like new. Make sure you secure the wool though without suffocating your toe.

what worked for me this year was buying top of the range New Balance running shoes with better cushioning and support plus Scholl inner soles plus Injinji socks and thick merino wool sox.These were half a size larger than my normal size because I wear men's 4 E extra wide shoes. I didn't apply moisturiser or loofah my feet for months before leaving. I taped my feet daily with hypafix or micropore tape on the bottom and sides of my feet. Last year I got a large blister on the inside of my left foot however decided not to prick it. It then got infected. This year I got one in the same place so pricked it with a sterile needle and alcohol wipe and it was immediately smaller and healed by the end of my walk. Funnily enough I too got a blister between the big and little toe from the Injinji sox but not last year. Saying that I would wear them again as I like the cotton protecting my feet from the wool. I think my feet were better this year as I limited my kilometres to 30 kms a day and it rained for about one hour in 35 days. Last year my feet ached so much I had to take Panadol twice at night when walking 40 km days.

I didn't want to have to carry a lot of tape to re-tape my toes every day, so I went with these Engo blister prevention pads that fit inside your shoes. They completely eliminated blisters I was getting on my small toe, as they provided a smooth surface with no friction. The patches lasted the whole Camino and are still in my shoes today. I strongly recommend these. https://goengo.com/

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hiker’s wool. That’s my plan for 2019.

Yes. 3 Caminos, no blisters yet.
Along with the normal prevention techniques.
Double socks, vaseline, taping.
http://robscamino.com/2015/foot-care/

My wife used so much on our last Camino her feet looked like a Hobbit's :oops:
We had to get a resupply mailed to us 1/2 way!

I didn't want to have to carry a lot of tape to re-tape my toes every day, so I went with these Engo blister prevention pads that fit inside your shoes. They completely eliminated blisters I was getting on my small toe, as they provided a smooth surface with no friction. The patches lasted the whole Camino and are still in my shoes today. I strongly recommend these. https://goengo.com/
My friend used the Engo patches last year, and they worked great for her.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I had a horrible blister (that turned to an open sore) for most of my first CF. For the second Camino I did not want a repeat. After a lot of experimenting I ended up using:

A layer of Omnifix tape covered with a layer of Leukotape K — both of which are stretchable and so can be formed to your feet/toes with no / minimal overlaps. I don’t know if both were necessary but the Leukotape seemed to offer more protection than the paper-thin Omnifix. I applied both daily before walking and removed them in the shower in the afternoons. (Note: the Leukotape K is a kenisology tape and so it is also useful in taping knees and ankles, if necessary.)

Also, I put Engo patches inside my boots in areas where I had previously experienced blisters or hot spots.

The combination worked for me — 500 miles with no blisters or hot spots.

Prevention and cure..
Yes micropore tape wrapped round my blister prone toes, from day 1 walking, works for me. Just did part of VdLP and blister free. It's now a little early morning Camino ritual for me to use this amazing tape on my feet.

Haha my mate Jose Piner told me the same thing and he has done six Camino’s always one little sucker of a toe. I don’t think you can beat it mate but love to hear if you do I could pass it on to my ole mate

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Vaseline and thin cotton inner socks under my walking socks. At the end of the day, after shower, I'd use Rosemary-scented rubbing alcohol, which every Spanish farmacia sells. Worked a treat.

Compeed Anti-friction stick - use from day one … looks like a deodorant stick... use dabs where u think or feel rubbing... can spread with finger... magic - 2 caminos NO blisters...

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.