• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Blister Products

Curlygirl

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances - August - September 2015
Has anyone used Band-aid Advanced Healing Blister Cushions with any success? I am trying to decide whether to bring them?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The Bandaid products are actually licensed from Compeed. I think that the adhesive is weaker, probably necessary for FDA approval; real Compeed will take good skin with bad if removed prematurely.

"Multi day protection. Promotes fast blister healing. Sterilized for safe use on open blisters. Cushioning gel pad relieves pain while protecting the blisters. Waterproof, superior adhesive stays in place for multi-day use. Flexible foam conforms to skin for greater fit and comfort. Seals out water, dirt, and germs that can cause infection. With Compeed Moisture Seal Technology. Sterile unless individual wrapper is opened or damaged. Made in Denmark."

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Falcon269. The package and the instructions in it, do not mention Compeed but when I searched on-online the Walgreens site mentions Compeed. After reading much about Compeed on this forum, I am a little afraid of it for blister care. Should I be?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
While training in the summer heat and humidity in Florida I LUCKILY developed 3 blisters. I say luckily because I was able to put into practice a blister regime and still train pain free and my blisters healed. I purchased the book Fixing Your Feet on my Kindle and followed his advice. I first drained the blister with a needle and thread (leaving the thread in the blister), put a little neosporin on the blister so my tape would not stick to the blister itself, sprayed the area with benzoin tincture and let it dry to tacky. This was what made any bandage stick. Mostly, I use rock tape, but in one instance on a toe, I did use the bandaid blister cushion under the rock tape. I previously tried to use these alone, but they would not stay on and I found them worthless by themselves. I will take a couple along with my benzoin tincture and rock tape. This combination allowed me to continue doing 10 miles walks even with the blisters.
All my blisters came while wearing my running shoes, so I am hopeful that my sock combination (injinji toe sock liners with wool socks) and vaseline, I will not need my blister supplies.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Bring them and love them. North America has finally seen the light. In Canada these are now sold under the Polysporin brand. Anyone notice how all three brands use tuquoise as the brand colour? Oh, and so much more inexpensive than in Spain!

I used the Band Aid product this year and found it to be brilliant. Not only did it ease the sting of the blister quickly, it protected the sore area and aided the healing process. I only took one packet and shared it, so when I needed another packet I was unable to find it in France or Spain, so I bought a similar product which was nowhere near as good.
Only downside is that it tends to stick to the inside of socks, so needs to be picked off the material, otherwise the residue can solidify and cause more blisters.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I brought Compeed with me, lots of it. And it melted, I think - every evening it came off with a sock, looked like it melted there, and it hurt and blister got bigger.. And then I met this guy who teached me how to do the needle and thread trick and the next time I went and bought iodine and did the trick - next day I put my shoes on and no worries, walked like everything was ok. Don't know why the compeed did that but thank god for the needle and thread trick - loved it!

I have heard differing views on how best to treat your feet after a shower. Obviously dry and let the air get to them but do pilgrims use talcum powder or some form of moisturiser, ie vaseline. Interested to hear your views.

Most read last week in this forum

Hey there! I wanted to chat about my experience on the 2017 Camino Frances. I'm pretty average physically, maybe a tad overweight, did some training (could've done more), and could've lightened my...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.