• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Blister under crease of big toe

philo

Time of past OR future Camino
April 2023
Finished my 6 day camino. LOVED IT.
But got a blister in the crease under my big toe.
Never had one like that before.
How are they caused?
I wore the same shoes for weeks, and same type/make of socks.
Only difference was multiple day walking?
Any advice on how to stop in the future?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Blisters may occur everywhere on your feet. Walking for many days in a row usually means increased mileage and not giving your feet's skin time to recover. Plus that humidity in your shoes will build up over a long walking day.
Calluses might add to the problem, especially those parts where harder skin/callus neighbours softer skin. So reducing callus in the weeks before a longer hike usually helps a bit.
I am a hiker since over 3 decades and I almost every time get some blisters when I go on long hikes and go for speed. Tried everything, but I could never truly get rid of it. So I got used to it ;-)

Finished my 6 day camino. LOVED IT.
But got a blister in the crease under my big toe.
Never had one like that before.
How are they caused?
I wore the same shoes for weeks, and same type/make of socks.
Only difference was multiple day walking?
Any advice on how to stop in the future?
Hi Philo,
I hiked the Camino in 2018, was scheduled to complete the route in 2020.. but we ll know what happened to that plan. I got blisters in similar areas, since then I find that wearing toe socks has been a great help. They take a bit of getting used to, but have been a life changer for long hikes. I also use something called Foot Glide, it comes in a stick form like deodorant. You can probably find something similar along the way in a pharmacy. Good luck.
We plan to be back on the Camino in September starting in Leon. Can't wait!!
Sandy

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks Anne! It's to do with the mechanics of your foot, the windlass mechanism in particular. By all means get advice on that from a podiatrist, but for what it's worth, I'd have an ENGO Blister Patch on the insole so it went from the middle of the big toe, back to just past the knuckle joint at the ball of your foot. You'll need the rectangle patch for that.

Thanks Anne! It's to do with the mechanics of your foot, the windlass mechanism in particular. By all means get advice on that from a podiatrist, but for what it's worth, I'd have an ENGO Blister Patch on the insole so it went from the middle of the big toe, back to just past the knuckle joint at the ball of your foot. You'll need the rectangle patch for that.
Any idea how long they last?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Changing socks halfway through your day, and hanging the wet ones on your backpack is really a bother, but it can prevent many blisters! Dry socks are worth the trouble.

Whatever you do, do NOT attempt to drain it. The best solution would be to rest for a week, Failing that, ensure it is bandaged by a wrapping of at least tenfold (standard dispensary material). If you really must walk, do so lightly and minimally.
If you are of the sterner type, ignore the above advice and grin and bear the pain., which will disperse within a week unless infected. If infected (the edges will turn yellow and the yellowness will spread), seek immediate medial assistance and STOP.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

I'm about a 6 weeks away from beginning the French Camino. Depending on how I feel when I get to St. Jean, I will either take a train back to Portugal, or continue on to Santiago. In the...
Hola, I was really hoping to walk the Camino again this coming summer but despite all my hopes and planning I am in need of a hip replacement instead, yea! I walked the Frances in 2017 and have...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.