• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Blisters already?!

heatherrnw

Time of past OR future Camino
Past: April 2012; Future: June/July 2017
Not sure if this is the right category to put this or not, but here goes. I've been debating if I should just suck it up or put my whiny foot problems in here to get some advice or not, lol. Maybe it will help myself as well as some others :)

I got new boots to start breaking in for my camino in Sept. and have been walking with them an average of 5 miles per day. On the first day I developed a blister on my left foot that sat right on that crevice between my big toe and second toe. I tended to it and rested a couple of days then started walking again. I was actually very surprised at how quickly I got a blister. I've now only walked in them 3 times and I have a blister on each foot in the same exact spot! I can't remember ever getting a blister in this exact spot before. Generally I get them on the back of my heel or maybe on the ball of my foot. So my question would have to be about the boots. I've never worn hiking boots before. My choice of footwear has always been a nice pair of cross trainers or running shoes. So could this be from the choice of shoe? Or is this a normal scenario when first starting to break in hiking boots? I got them a size larger than my normal size, so it's not like they are squeezing my feet. I'm now debating if I need to go the hiking boot route or if just using a nice pair of hiking shoes might work just fine for me; possibly even just a pair of cross trainers.

As for my blisters, I'm happy I am discovering this BEFORE I go rather than waiting and going through the pain of them when I'm there. I can choose to give my feet a rest for a couple of days and let them heal, which I don't feel I could do on the camino. I am just really surprised at how painful they are when walking. My heart goes out to all that experience this while on their journey.

Heather

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I walk in a combination of boots and walking sandals (Tevas).

I have met people who have walked in trainers and some have got away with it.

Not for me. You have some tough terrain and hills to walk and a twisted ankle would be "goodbye Camino."

My gut instinct it to persevere with the boots as it is not unusual for boots and feet to need time to get to know one another. Don't put yourself through agony but do keep walking. You might try wearing them round the house as well. In time your feet will toughen.

This is why you break boots in.

Finally, I have found that my little toes are the place where I get blisters. When wearing the boots I wrap gauze pads around them and use Mefix tape to hold the pad in place. It may be that some extra padding protecting your pressure points may help.

Stand by for a flood of advice.

Treat yourself to an ice cream to compensate for the pain.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
You can buy in the pharmacy a sort of tube that you can cut to size and put over your big toe. This might work, because it will keep your toes separated. Also apply vaseline between the toes and on the rest of the feet. Try it for a few weeks, if that doesn't work, I think I would be inclined to buy new boots! Anne

I agree with Anne's advice.

Given the location of the blisters, maybe this toe cap will help - got the idea from Anniesantiago (thanks, Annie!)

But I'm skeptical, as always, about the ability of boots or shoes to "break in". If blisters and hot spots are there right away, the boots don't fit. But rest your blisters, give it a go and then get shoes or boots that are comfortable and blister-free. You will be happier for it.

I don't mean to be discouraging, but your feet need to be your friends on the camino!

Best of luck!

Attachments

• Gel lined toe cap.jpg
    Gel lined toe cap.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 1,737
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi

I asked a question about my boots for my 2nd camino, i had the problem that i was getting hotspots and aches on the top of my toes, between my middle and 2nd toe. One of the forum members suggested shoving tennis balls into my boots and pouring water into them, and then just forgetting about them for a while(3-4 weeks). It partially worked the pain and hotspots lessened a bit when i started wearing them again. They stretched out the toe area where i had placed them.

Are you wearing two layers of socks? The inners being liners, and the outer are the proper walking socks. If you arent, consider it. This does stop or lessen blisters. Theres a couple of threads on this forum which everyone really goes into this topic.

You dont say if your new hiking boots are leather, they have a reputation for being harder to break in and any feet will suffer a bit in this time.

If i had stronger ankles i would go the cross trainer route, they feel so much better. I often stand in footwear shops staring enviously at cross trainers and hiking shoes :cry:

Mike

Ingredients for Body Glide:
Active Ingredients: Allantoin (Comfrey Root) (0.5%) (Skin Protectant)

Inactive Ingredients: Aloe Vera (Aloe Barbadensis) Extract, C18 36 Acid Triglyceride, Capric/Caprylic Stearic Triglyceride, Tribehenin, Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E)
The known lubricants and water-repellents are petrolatum (petroleum jelly), silicone, simethicone, and talc. Anything else runs the risk of being snakeoil! I don't see anything in Body Glide that would convince me that it can be expected to work.

Compeed Anti-Blister Stick
Ingredients: Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil, Cetyl Alcohol, Parfum.
Crisco is hydrogenated vegetable oil.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi, Heather,
I'm someone who feels your pain. The first time I arrived in Santiago, I had blisters the size of silver dollars on the back of my heels. I could barely walk, but being that I am stubborn as a mule, I refused to stop. I still have the occasional blister, in fact of the other caminos I have walked, I don't think any have been totally blister-free except maybe for my walk on the Primitivo (and I think that's just because it was so much shorter).

I got a lot of information from this forum, and it has helped me out. First, I learned that blisters are caused in one of two different ways -- either by friction, or by pressure. So if your boots are too small, you will get blisters from the pressure/constriction, and those lubricants won't help. If it's the former, though, that it's the rubbing that's causing them, something could help -- either a lubricant, the two sock method, whatever works in your case.

Second, I learned that boots come in a million shapes and feet come in a million shapes and finding the perfect combination is a bit like finding a needle in a haystack. But I have finally done it! I have found that the low North Face boots (mens) are the perfect size for my oddly wide ball of the foot. North Face keeps changing its boots, but someone here told me that won't matter because the lathe (?) they use is constant and the boots will always be the same size.

Third, I learned that unless the boots are leather, they don't require breaking in. That means that you can learn a lot more quickly whether the boots are going to hurt or not. I spent a not insignificant sum on boots I had to give away because after a 10 mile hike I had a blister. In my experience, if you get a blister after that distance, the boot is unlikely to be the one for you. So I agree with Lynne on that point. And as she says, though it may be frustrating and expensive, your feet are your most important asset on this walk and it's worth it to find the right boot or shoe.

On the shoe vs. boot debate, I've taken a middle course - I wear a very low trainer-like boot. It's the North Face Vindicator (or at least it was called that last year). But I never "recommend" it to anyone because I realize that just because it's perfect for my feet says nothing about whether it will be perfect for yours. This is a tough part of getting ready for the Camino -- good luck and hope for success. Laurie

Many, many pilgrims use trainer-type shoes. Most of the trail is not rugged, so ankle support is not generally necessary. Trekking poles will help prevent turned ankles on the cobble stone areas.

The sole of the footwear can be too rigid, and make it difficult to work in the boots/shoes, so it is not just leather that can create friction as the boot is worn. It is my observation that boots that are too tight create more blisters than ones that are too large. Too tight boots squeeze toes, which is not a problem with properly fitting boots or ones that are too large. If blisters are between toes, then I would guess the boots are too small. If the blisters are on the outside of the foot, then the boots may be too large. Lubricate, and add a layer of socks to tighten the fit. If the bottom of the toes, sole, or bottom of the heel are blistering, then your foot is sliding around inside the boot. A new insole may correct the problem. If the blister is on the heel, the sole is too rigid so that it is not bending with your step, or your lacing is too loose. Try a different lacing pattern, or get boots with a more flexible sole.

Despite all precautions, you may find that your feet slide forward during descents, causing blisters on the front or top of your toes. Tighten your laces, apply preventive Compeed, or reapply lubricant regularly.

From Compeed:
From heel to toe, blisters come in all shapes and sizes – fortunately, so do COMPEED® Blister Patches. COMPEED® Blister Patch is a highly advanced, instant remedy - developed for the Danish Army, no less - it acts like a second layer of skin to help prevent new blisters while soothing and healing those that already exist. A COMPEED® Blister Patch repels water, dirt and bacteria and can stay firmly in place for 3 days!

What's Happening

1. Rubbing: Build-up, burning sensation – If applied early enough, COMPEED® works as a barrier to the friction, stopping the blister in its tracks.

2. Blistering: Water-filled blister forms – If applied now, COMPEED® can offer instant pain relief and speeds the healing process.

3. Open Wound: Blister breaks open, skin flakes off, wound can bleed – COMPEED® works as a shield, its impervious layer protecting the wound from bacteria, germs, and water.

4. Scabbing: Discomfort from hardened skin, healing slows – COMPEED® keeps the wound area moist, enabling new skin cells to generate faster and preventing scab formation.

5. Heeling: Blisters treated with COMPEED® heal 20% quicker – COMPEED® may be used preventatively in situations where blisters are likely to form.

The hydrocolloid particles in COMPEED® Blister Patch absorb wound fluid, creating a gel that protects the wound by sealing in moisture and preventing scab formation. In turn, this creates the optimal wound healing environment, speeding up the healing process.

Tissue is lost as a result of intense friction. The resulting wound is filled with exudate.
Hydrocolloid particles ensure the optimum moisture level is maintained.

Cells and nutrients disperse more easily throughout the wound, speeding up the healing process.
The wound is totally healed and new tissue is formed. Blisters treated with COMPEED® Blister Patch heal 20% quicker.

Tissue is lost as a result of intense friction. The resulting wound is filled with exudate.
The exudates dries up and forms a hard crust, known more commonly as a scab. Nerve endings remain exposed for longer, increasing pain.

Migrating epithelium cells are blocked, slowing their movement and forcing them deeper into the wound and slowing the healing process.

The scab eventually flakes off, often leaving skin scarred as a result of the imperfect healing process.
http://www.beunstoppable.co.uk/education/

I've done portions of the Camino three times now. The first time I ran 109km in running shoes with no problems. The second time I walked 200km in running shoes and got tendonitis on one foot where the tongue of the shoe hit my leg. This last time I covered 300km alternating between walking in my hiking boots when I covered 15-22 miles and running in my running shoes when I did 15 or fewer miles. This last time I had no problems at all and felt great the entire time.

Personally, I agree with those who said if you have blisters already, chuck the boots and try another pair. Or, as others suggested, maybe hiking shoes or trail shoes. My feet definitely liked being in running shoes the best, and I think it really helped to alternate the type of shoe every day or two so different stresses were placed on the feet.

Two more things -- I did get one blister on my heel. I used band-aids at first, which were O.K. But the best thing by far ended up being these squishy gel things you put over the blister -- not sure of the name, as I had a few samples. Second, I brought along something called "The Stick" to roll out my tight muscles at night, including the bottoms of my feet. That was SO helpful and felt so great, and it's very small and portable. You can Google it to see what it's like if you're not familiar with it. Lots of sports teams use them; they're about $12-20 and you can buy them online or at your local sporting goods store.

Melanie

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Heather,

Is there a seam or bunching of fabric at the spot where you get your blister? Often a shoe will rub just the wrong way from the get-go; which of course means that it isn't the right shoe for you. This can be a very expensive exercise, trying to find Camino shoes!!

Compeed is good, and I have used compeed many times on my feet both for prevention and covering a new blister. So has my husband. A note of caution:

On our very first camino my husband got a blister on the ball of his foot. Applied a large compeed. The next day, it was curling up around the edges so he took it off thinking to reapply a fresh one. When I say "took it off" I mean, the compeed AND underlying skin. The resulting deep hole in his foot forced us to rest 4 days.

So...if you put compeed on a blister already formed, LEAVE IT ON UNTIL IT FALLS OFF. If it is really flapping, tape over it until the whole thing is ready to leave.That has worked for us on subsequent caminos.

Others may have other compeed advice that differs from this, but that is my cautionary tale.

I bought my boots from a wonderful salesman. He was a real hiking and footwear expert. He listened to what my plans were for the boots (distance, terrain, etc.). He looked at the size and shape (high instep, narrow heal, etc) of my foot. He chose a boot and a pair of socks for me. He said that I should wear them for a month and if they didn't work return them. I said, I'd feel guilty doing that as they'd be used. He told me that if they didn't fit, it was his fault, not mine. Anyway, they fit perfectly, I didn't get blisters. I thought of him and appreciated him everyday of my camino. He did tell me that if they were rubbing, if i was getting blisters, to bring them in...he could stretch certain areas, try certain things to make them more comfortable. I did not need for him to do this but perhaps if you took yours to the store and explained the problem, they could do something to the boots or, say, suggest a different sock, etc.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
alipilgrim said:
Hi Heather,

Is there a seam or bunching of fabric at the spot where you get your blister? Often a shoe will rub just the wrong way from the get-go; which of course means that it isn't the right shoe for you. This can be a very expensive exercise, trying to find Camino shoes!!
Hi Heather,
We would second this about a seam in the sock being a problem. Our liner socks are 'flat seam' and the outer socks are just about flat too. We have seen some socks with very ridged toe seams which could give us blisters right where you say yours are coming. A change of sock regime might solve your problem
Buen Camino
Tia Valeria

Tia Valeria said:
alipilgrim said:
Hi Heather,

Hi Heather,
We would second this about a seam in the sock being a problem. Our liner socks are 'flat seam' and the outer socks are just about flat too. We have seen some socks with very ridged toe seams which could give us blisters right where you say yours are coming. A change of sock regime might solve your problem
Buen Camino
Tia Valeria

If it's a seam issue you can also try wearing the socks inside out as this reduces rubbing from seams or the little tags/ears of thread at either side of the toe of the sock. I was able to redeem 2 pairs of 'bad sock's this way :)
Try out the various options and find the one that works best for you. By the time you finish you'll be an acknowledged 'Blister Sister' i.e. an expert on the damn things :?

Most read last week in this forum

Hey there! I wanted to chat about my experience on the 2017 Camino Frances. I'm pretty average physically, maybe a tad overweight, did some training (could've done more), and could've lightened my...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.