• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Blisters and hydration

C clearly

Staff member
Time of past OR future Camino
Most years since 2012
Staying well hydrated is certainly important, especially on long walks in warm temperatures. I am interested to know if anyone has information about scientific studies (or even opinion of qualified experts) that hydration - i.e. drinking lots of fluids - affects the likelihood of getting blisters on the feet.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I heard that claim before, but couldn't hunt down any scientific evidence for it. Being well hydrated certainly will have an effect on the skin (less dry, less cracks etc) that is the only connection I can think of. Buen Camino, SY

I don't know about blisters but having just completed my Camino Frances 3 weeks ago I tried to keep hydrated as much as possible. My facial skin complexion really suffered and still is. I think this may have had sonething to do with soaps and gels etc used to shower, shave and wash clothes with.
Think it's fair to say my face looks a touch 'weathered'.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Staying well hydrated is certainly important, especially on long walks in warm temperatures. I am interested to know if anyone has information about scientific studies (or even opinion of qualified experts) that hydration - i.e. drinking lots of fluids - affects the likelihood of getting blisters on the feet.
Two names that come to mind are Rebecca Rushton (https://www.blisterprevention.com.au/) and John Vonhof (http://www.fixingyourfeet.com/blog/tag/dehydration/). Both appear to base their advice on their long term support for marathon and ultra-marathon runners.

I walked 811ks this year with no blisters. From day one I put a strip of surgical tape across the ball of my foot. I then applied Aquaphor (a little like Vaseline but not messy ) and a very thin pair of socks and finally walking socks. Towards the end I just wore the thin socks. Only took a few minutes each morning and absolutely no foot problems.

I don't know about blisters but having just completed my Camino Frances 3 weeks ago I tried to keep hydrated as much as possible. My facial skin complexion really suffered and still is. I think this may have had sonething to do with soaps and gels etc used to shower, shave and wash clothes with.
Never use any soap or gel,it washes away the natural protective layer on your skin.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Never use any soap or gel,it washes away the natural protective layer on your skin.
Is there some scientific evidence to support this, or is it just another old wive's tale? This thread was started to see if people knew of any evidence basis for the advice we give so freely on staying hydrated, and anecdotes and the like hardly count as scientific evidence.

Two names that come to mind are Rebecca Rushton (https://www.blisterprevention.com.au/) and John Vonhof (http://www.fixingyourfeet.com/blog/tag/dehydration/). Both appear to base their advice on their long term support for marathon and ultra-marathon runners.
Read Scarlet
Is there some scientific evidence to support this, or is it just another old wive's tale? This thread was started to see if people knew of any evidence basis for the advice we give so freely on staying hydrated, and anecdotes and the like hardly count as scientific evidence.
read Scarlet Fez !

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
No scientific proof just the evidence of practical proof. It worked for me but I guess that isn't scientific. Try it or not it's personal choice

Just my experience !

read Scarlet Fez !
I already have, and as I said, anecdotes are not scientific evidence. If someone spends three weeks walking, another explanation is that the effects that the sun, wind and rain will have had on their skin.
Just my experience !
And my point is that this post was not created to collect another set of these. The question, just to remind everyone, was:
I am interested to know if anyone has information about scientific studies

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I already have, and as I said, anecdotes are not scientific evidence. If someone spends three weeks walking, another explanation is that the effects that the sun, wind and rain will have had on their skin.

And my point is that this post was not created to collect another set of these. The question, just to remind everyone, was:

No Doug you are right no scientific studies or evidence just ordinary walkers relating their experiences to try to help others.
We all do that, but it might be both a strength and weakness of the forum inasmuch as strategies that suit us in particular circumstances are not consistently the best approaches across a broad range of circumstances.

For example, I prefer to use double socks, foot powder and prophylactic taping as the key elements of my blister prevention strategy. Double socks and taping appear to be strongly supported by research. Foot powder has limitations, inasmuch as it is only useful for reducing skin friction while it remains dry. If it becomes damp, it increases skin friction, and the attendant risk of blisters forming.

You seem to prefer an emollient preparation, which has different limitations and isn't recommended for all circumstances. I suspect that you will not let that stop you using it any more than I will stop using foot powder, because we both know the circumstances where our preferred approaches work for us as individuals.

In a similar vein, a few years ago the US military did a systemic literature review on the prevention of physical training injuries in which they examined 40 different injury prevention strategies. They only found six that they considered were adequately enough supported by scientific evidence to recommend. Two of the proposed strategies were not recommended on the basis that there was evidence of harm, and 23 had insufficient evidence, and would need more research work before they could be recommended.

Similarly, it would be possible to take this advice completely out of context:
Applying this as the normal hand hygiene post toilet or prior to food preparation would, I suspect, markedly increase an individual's exposure to dangerous pathogens.

Getting back to the topic, other than the two sources I have already suggested, most of the research work that I have found in the public domain relates to the effects of skin hydration (ie skin dampness) on blister formation, and I have not been able to find anything so far that links dehydration generally with blister formation.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
If people want a thread to describe various blister prevention strategies, I have no objection. However I was just looking for any information that supports the various statements made in other threads about internal hydration as a factor in blisters. I had never seen any educated explanation of how or whether that was really true. So far no one has come up with any references. Even the blister experts mentioned by @dougfitz did not make that claim.

read Scarlet Fez !
I don't understand this reference.
Just my experience !
Our own experience is the most important evidence that we should rely on. It is helpful to know the experience of others. That's why we discuss these topics. It is even better when the experience of many people in similar situations is collected and summarized, and shown to be repeatable cause and effect. That is scientific evidence. It may just prove that different methods work on different people.;)

Last edited:

hmmmmm well marathon and ultra-marathon runners are likely, like experienced hikers/pilgrims, to have naturally developed a layer of foot leather ; as well as from experience, training, and adaptation, better foot & footwear usage generally ; that all help provide good protection against blisters in the first place, which BTW your (excellent) first link pretty much explicitly suggests too.

As for scientific studies, it might be better to look for information about the effects of dehydration rather than hydration in relation to blistering ? My interpretation of some medical sites is that those with more fragile skin that is prone to blistering might suffer more easily when dehydrated. As your second link suggests : "When you become fluid-deficient, the skin loses its normal levels of water and in turn loses its turgor. Then it easily rubs or folds over on itself, which leads to blisters."

As for scientific studies, it might be better to look for information about the effects of dehydration rather than hydration in relation to blistering ? My interpretation of some medical sites is that those with more fragile skin that is prone to blistering might suffer more easily when dehydrated. As your second link suggests : "When you become fluid-deficient, the skin loses its normal levels of water and in turn loses its turgor. Then it easily rubs or folds over on itself, which leads to blisters."
I agree that getting the search parameters right can make all the difference, and have tried a variety of different combinations including dehydration. There seems to be significant bodies of work in both areas (dehydration and blister formation) but almost nothing to address the combination.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
look for information about the effects of dehydration rather than hydration in relation to blistering
Yes, that is true and I also used those terms. I was looking for support for the statements of the sort "stay hydrated to prevent blisters".

I saw that reference to dehydrated skin folding but that example was rather extreme and didn't really support the truism. I wondered if any actual evidence had been found of this happening with feet.

I find that my facial skin and other exposed skin reacts badly to most sunscreens. It might be something to consider. Any commercial sunscreen with the usual myriad of ingredients seems to make my skin itchy, red and sore, even swollen sometimes and as it's healing, it can look pretty "weathered". I now stick to a hat and long sleeves and a basic zinc based sunscreen.

If someone spends three weeks walking, another explanation is that the effects that the sun, wind and rain will have had on their skin.
Inside the boots/shoes? Because that's where we usually find blisters caused by walking.

most of the research work that I have found in the public domain relates to the effects of skin hydration (ie skin dampness) on blister formation,
Totally agree. One of the first days I was fool enough to shower also in the morning - on damp feet I got the only blister I had during the whole Camino. Soft feet = vulnerable feet.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Totally agree. One of the first days I was fool enough to shower also in the morning - on damp feet I got the only blister I had during the whole Camino. Soft feet = vulnerable feet.
This supports the opposite argument that too much hydration (albeit external) causes blistering! So, still no evidence that hydration (internal) has any influence at all on blistering.

I was really well hydrated but suffered terrible blisters. My boots were worn in before trip. My travelling companion drinks very little and did not have blisters

A selection of Camino Jewellery
We all do that, but it might be both a strength and weakness of the forum inasmuch as strategies that suit us in particular circumstances are not consistently the best approaches across a broad range of circumstances.

For example, I prefer to use double socks, foot powder and prophylactic taping as the key elements of my blister prevention strategy. Double socks and taping appear to be strongly supported by research. Foot powder has limitations, inasmuch as it is only useful for reducing skin friction while it remains dry. If it becomes damp, it increases skin friction, and the attendant risk of blisters forming.

You seem to prefer an emollient preparation, which has different limitations and isn't recommended for all circumstances. I suspect that you will not let that stop you using it any more than I will stop using foot powder, because we both know the circumstances where our preferred approaches work for us as individuals.

In a similar vein, a few years ago the US military did a systemic literature review on the prevention of physical training injuries in which they examined 40 different injury prevention strategies. They only found six that they considered were adequately enough supported by scientific evidence to recommend. Two of the proposed strategies were not recommended on the basis that there was evidence of harm, and 23 had insufficient evidence, and would need more research work before they could be recommended.

Similarly, it would be possible to take this advice completely out of context:

Applying this as the normal hand hygiene post toilet or prior to food preparation would, I suspect, markedly increase an individual's exposure to dangerous pathogens.

Getting back to the topic, other than the two sources I have already suggested, most of the research work that I have found in the public domain relates to the effects of skin hydration (ie skin dampness) on blister formation, and I have not been able to find anything so far that links dehydration generally with blister formation.
And again...I do nothing special to my feet,no powder nothing and just wear ordinary socks.
Never had blisters...just luck I guess...

And again...I do nothing special to my feet,no powder nothing and just wear ordinary socks.
Never had blisters...just luck I guess...
I think that we would all like to get to the point where we understand what factors influence the formation of blisters, and how we might avoid those. Luck is not a basis for sound advice on this matter! Science or long term observation might be.

I've only done one Camino, but 800kms. LOTS of training, which continues. Not a single blister or even a hot spot. I'm a city boy with sissy lily-white feet. I kept my feet dry and wore boots that fit perfectly. One pair of cushiony hiking socks. Road-tested everything for months before leaving home. Avoided walking in hot weather. It seems to me that blisters are very avoidable. I read up before I left, gathered that blisters are caused by moisture-plus-friction. Can't believe we're all still posting about blisters. It'll be hiking poles next!!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Luck is not a basis for sound advice on this matter! Science or long term observation might be.
Yes, advice to "Be lucky!" is not much help. We can increase our chances of a good outcome by following advice that is based on science or long term observation.
It seems to me that blisters are very avoidable.
That's kind of arrogant!;) It's like saying "acne is avoidable" or "cancer is avoidable." It is only true up to a point; it does not apply in all cases.

Yes, advice to "Be lucky!" is not much help. We can increase our chances of a good outcome by following advice that is based on science or long term observation.

That's kind of arrogant!;) It's like saying "acne is avoidable" or "cancer is avoidable." It is only true up to a point; it does not apply in all cases.
Addendum: Everyone is different. And. Some cancers are relatively avoidable - don't smoke. Acne? Avoid being a teenager.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
OK. We can all probably agree that blisters are also relatively avoidable!
Probably relatively. Almost like Inuit for "snow" or Japanese for "apologise". I don't do emojis so things can get fraught with a lack of expressment. I just couldn't resist writing this. It's sad and probably some kind of addiction.

Blisters are caused by shear – the pressure that occurs when layers of skin are forced to slide over one another or deeper layers of tissue. Also, it is scientifically proven that skin make-up differs in different people. Age affects elasticity for instance, skinny people may have less fat under the top surface etc. A scientific starting point may be to look at instances where similar stresses cause other debilitating effects on the skin. I am think of pressure ulcers, for example. If you want some scientific details on how hydration ( or even de-hydration) affects the surface skin enough to cause ulcers then you may have a scientific starting point. There are plenty of well funded and independent studies out there, just google for them.

Skin type seems to be the defining factor in the severity of surface shear damage so I would hazard the view that it is also the defining factor in damage under the surface between the layers. This is not a fact, but I think it is reasonable to class this assumption as a value judgement, rather than hearsay.

Blister prevention, therefore, is as varied as skin types, what works for one may not work on another. Trial and error may be the order of the day until those definitive fact finding scientific studies are carried out. I would hazard a guess that cures based on double stockings, vaseline, no soap, talcum powder, whilst working perfectly for individuals would never lead to the profit margins required by "Big Pharma" to spend their cash on that type of research. ( Then again I am a cynic, so what do I factually know)
Thanks Jimmy,

I've read a few of the articles. Very informative. I wasn't aware of the particular term "shear".

One's genes are more of a factor than I expected. But moisture is acknowledged as a major contributing secondary factor. Friction being the key. Friction (in concert with other mechanical factors) can cause shearing or the pulling apart of underlying layers of skin. Lymph collects in the spaces between these separated layers = a blister. A bit of moisture can increase friction, as can foot powder after it gets moistened. One person's skin will shear more or less easily than the next person's.

The socks I and many others wear - hiking socks with a plush inner sole against the skin, reduce friction as the foot is supported and is allowed to move freely a little bit by a soft fibrous fabric platform thus reducing friction. But socks can sometimes cause overheating and therefore moisture, then maybe friction.

A very complex issue. I think I've been blessed with good skin genes, but some of the precautions I've taken have helped for what I now understand are logical reasons.

Anyone with blister adventures would do well to look into the issue in depth and maybe be able to take more effective preventative action.

Buen Camino, - Mike

Edit: The OP is about how improper hydration might influence the formation of blisters. A fascinating question. I wonder how one would answer that one?

Last edited by a moderator:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

I'm about a 6 weeks away from beginning the French Camino. Depending on how I feel when I get to St. Jean, I will either take a train back to Portugal, or continue on to Santiago. In the...
Hola, I was really hoping to walk the Camino again this coming summer but despite all my hopes and planning I am in need of a hip replacement instead, yea! I walked the Frances in 2017 and have...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.