• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Blisters are Totally Optional

Time of past OR future Camino
Yearly and Various 2014-2019
Via Monastica 2022
Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The article has particularly good and specific information about tape and prevention--as well as a link to her detailed blister prevention guide that has more specific details about care and how to best deal with blisters if they happen.
It's a great dispeller of old wive's tales.
I took the taping part seriously, and that's what has made all the difference. Taping my feet has become a lovely and essential ritual.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
"A hot-spot is a brief and subtle sensation of rubbing, irritation or warmth. If you feel a sting, you’re too late – a blister is on the way."

This is the first time I have read this description of a hot spot. Lots of people say that as soon as you have a hot spot, stop and take care of it, but never describe what a hot spot is. And then she goes on to tell us what to do about it - very helpful.

Regarding tape though - I taped my feet were I usually get blisters on my heels - and got blisters under the tape... Yeah, I was not pleased about that. The tape kept bunching up and no matter what I did, would not stay smooth. So I think that the advice to test the various tapes out before you go is important. Apparently, I had the wrong tape for my particular feet.

Apparently, I had the wrong tape for my particular feet.
Different tapes for different places.
I use paper tape around my toes and omnifix on my heels. The paper tape only lasts a day but the omnifix lasts much longer and cannot bunch up (it's great stuff!). It took a bit of experimentation to figure that out--and I guess the same holds from person to person. All our feet are different so 'try it and see' is the name of the game.;)
(Edited for spelling.:oops:)

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Lots of good info....thank you for sharing!
Along with changing socks in the middle of the day, it was recommended to me to put sandals on when stopping to eat for lunch and allow the feet to breath and dry out.

I use good old gaffe tape on my feet, it works for me but not everyone will find it works for them.
One of the things that was suggested while I was preparing for the CF , was to remove shoes/boots overtime you had a break, this will allow the feet to dry out and cool down.
I didn't take this advice and did end up with a couple of small blisters, nothing serious.
The bottom line is to practice with all the different methods before you step foot on the camino, and hope you got it right.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Viranani - thanks for posting these very useful tips.

Another thing I like to do when having a break is to take JohnMcM's advice and have a lovely toe wiggle when the shoes and socks are off! I think of John and the Forum every time I do this, and give silent thanks to John for his top suggestion.

Cheers - Jenny

So far on my practice walks I've been having success using the Body Glide stick all over my feet. I walked 10 miles carrying my pack today, and my feet did fine. But I'll probably bring some tape for hot spots, should they occur. I just need to figure out which tapes works best on Body Glided feet. o_O

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
This just out from the Australian podiatrist and expert about blister prevention and care, Rebecca Rushton:
A 'must read' before setting foot on the way:

http://www.caminoadventures.com/bli...uly_2016)&mc_cid=7261eb17bd&mc_eid=1591c17ea4

After my first Camino was blighted by terrible blisters, I took her advice and haven't had a serious blister since.

Hi I'm just back from SJ to Santiago. No blisters. Each morning surgical tape across the ball of my foot then aquaphor foot rub and finally very thin inner sock. Sometime wore thicker socks over these but towards the end just the thin ones. Most importantly wore size 11 boots when my shoe size is 10. No blisters at all.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi I'm just back from SJ to Santiago. No blisters. Each morning surgical tape across the ball of my foot then aquaphor foot rub and finally very thin inner sock. Sometime wore thicker socks over these but towards the end just the thin ones. Most importantly wore size 11 boots when my shoe size is 10. No blisters at all.
Hi Richard, my boots are always a 1/2 size bigger than my normal size. I never have any blisters. Never use tape, I carry some with me just in case .
Wish you well, Peter.

Thanks for the article - it makes perfect sense and I will be following her advice all the way. I have to tape my little toes anyway as they curl inwards from arthritis and I end up walking on my toenails which becomes very painful. I found this out in my training and have been experimenting with different ways to tape my toes. Have had some success but nothing is perfect so I will definitely be getting sore toes when we walk in August - pain killers and perseverance I think )

I'll give a plug for old-fashioned Vaseline, all over my feet, twice a day, (with a change of socks and wearing ladies stocking socks as liners). the Vaseline sounds as if it would be sticky and disgusting, but it is not at all, and at the end of the camino, when everyone else's feet look like old rocks, yours will be soft and sweet.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks for the article - it makes perfect sense and I will be following her advice all the way. I have to tape my little toes anyway as they curl inwards from arthritis and I end up walking on my toenails which becomes very painful. I found this out in my training and have been experimenting with different ways to tape my toes. Have had some success but nothing is perfect so I will definitely be getting sore toes when we walk in August - pain killers and perseverance I think )

Too late to help you (I hope you went well) but it might help someone else to know that podiatrists can fashion orthotics to help with all sorts of foot issues. My husband had one foot run over by a car, which did some serious damage of course, especially to the big toe. The podiatrist made him a specially crafted orthotic which enabled him to not only continue with long-distance walking but also to run several marathons.

Most read last week in this forum

Hey there! I wanted to chat about my experience on the 2017 Camino Frances. I'm pretty average physically, maybe a tad overweight, did some training (could've done more), and could've lightened my...
We are leaving to do the whole Camino Frances in a week. I have two corns on my right foot that are becoming very painful - I have had them for years with little issue but over the last month with...
I’ve been trying to decide on a fitness regime in preparation for the Camino, but upon reviewing this board, YouTube, etc, there’s an overwhelming array of suggestions and programs, but I’m less...
I am a CPAP user, and would need to bring my machine as I need it at night during the Camino. I have a regular size Resmed (without the water chamber). My plan is - to pack it in the CPAP...
Have been walking my first Camino and loving it, until coming down with a nasty cold in Puente La Reina, with a bad headache, sore throat, deep chest congestion and developing cough. The...
3 days ago, I developed a horrible shinsplint where I was barely walking--KT helped a little to get me through the day. So, I took a rest day and booked a nearby PT in pontevedra. Anna was able...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.